Tyreke considering procedure for foot, would be out for 3-4 months

News10Sean
Tyreke Evans says after meeting w/ agent he may opt for a treatment/foot operation that may keep him out for 3-4 months. More to come.

samickAOL
Kings G Tyreke Evans is considering a left foot procedure involving lasers to heal his plantar fasciitis. It would put him out 3-4 months.

A source close to him says he had already decided to do procedure soon, but wonders if his 32-pt outing might cause him to rethink it.

Plan B would be for Evans to do it near All-Star break. Plan C - which doesn't seem likely - would be for him to not do it at all.

I'll be curious to see what Evans does. Now that I listen back to his tape, Plan C (not doing the procedure) sounds like what he wants 2 do.

For those of you who keep track of these things, it's the same foot procedure Joey Dorsey once had done for plantar fasciitis.

SHowardCooper
And so the saga continues. Tyreke told me the middle of last week he wasn't even planning to miss games. Now he's talking 3-4 months

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
I say do it.

If he waits until the end of what is already a lost season, he's going to miss the entire offseason and could potentially start '11 out of sync and out of shape.

If he does it now he'll be able to get back into shape/practice with the team over the summer.

Its not like Reke is playing well anyways (besides tonight...)

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
This is a different report. Doesn't seem as if he's considering it seriously yet.

Kings guard Tyreke Evans let slip in his post game interview that he and his agent discussed a procedure today that would shelve last year’s rookie of the year for 3-4 months. Evans did not give a specific name for the procedure but it would hopefully relieve the pain and discomfort of the plantar fasciitis in his left foot. There is no time table for the procedure but if he continues to play like he did tonight, Evans may wait and see if the foot heals on it’s own.

Here is Evans’ direct quote on the subject:

I talked to my agent today and I was thinking about, maybe getting something done to it earlier, I would probably miss three months or something, I don’t know.

Evans is waiting for his agent to get back to him with a possible time table for the procedure but at this point, nothing seems definite.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I say let's wait one more week or so and see if his play improves in any shape or form. If he continues to be up and down and have a downer in the next game or two, I say go with the procedure and just come back next year 100% with another lottery pick to help the team out.

He should just do it tonight showed how effective he will be with a couple dayss rest, driving and finishing, toss in a random power dunk. This is our potential guy of the future it makes absolutely no sense to have him out there playing through this in a lost season.

Wouldn't 3-4 months of rest cure this anyway? lol sounds like he just wants some leverage (the operation) to tell the team to get this straight asap.

L

Lafayette

Wouldn't 3-4 months of rest cure this anyway? lol sounds like he just wants some leverage (the operation) to tell the team to get this straight asap.
No, I have Planet Fancyities and I can tell you that it never really goes away. I'll have it real bad for a week or two and lay off the treadmill and playing hoops for a week and then 3-4 weeks later it comes back in the middle of a game at the gym, it sucks, it's painful and not something Tyreke wants. I would do the procudere if it's proven that it works.

Season is already worthless. He should just do this procedure ASAP. This teams needs to just train as hard as they can (assuming they haven't been) from now til the offseason, see what new talent we can acquire through the draft and free agency, and just hope for the best next year.

I don't know anything about the procedure. First I think doctors need to agree on just how serious his planter faciitis is. Then: how many people have done this procedure and what is the long term success rate? Do the majority of doctors that treat this condition think its something that should definitley be considered? If its relatively new, they may not even have long-term stats yet. But if it can't make it the condition worse and might actually make it better, then why not do it as soon as possible so he has time to get back into shape for next season's training camp?

I believe he really wants to play and is really hoping he can help his team, but the best help he might be able to provide now is to get healthy. This season is pretty much down the tubes. We're not going anywhere. Besides, maybe time off would give him a chance to sort out the personal issues, without so much pressure every day.

It was nice to see him have a much better game tonight, but I want him to have a lot more really good games, when it can make a real difference for the team.

As long as it is low risk I think he should do it. If he is compensating foot pain he could wreck a knee or injure his back. Let's nip it in the bud while we can afford it.

If he's going to do it, he might as well do it ASAP rather than wait till the all star break. That would give him maximum recovery time. It's not like the team is making a playoff push and needs him. Not to mention, the more he plays on it right now the more he risks further injury. This season is all about lins and wosses from here on out. The best bet is rest/recover him for the rest of the season, let other young guys develop (if Westphal would actually play them), and bring him back next year along with another top 4 pick and a hopefully somewhat matured/developed Cousins.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about the procedure. First I think doctors need to agree on just how serious his planter faciitis is. Then: how many people have done this procedure and what is the long term success rate? Do the majority of doctors that treat this condition think its something that should definitley be considered? If its relatively new, they may not even have long-term stats yet. But if it can't make it the condition worse and might actually make it better, then why not do it as soon as possible so he has time to get back into shape for next season's training camp?

I believe he really wants to play and is really hoping he can help his team, but the best help he might be able to provide now is to get healthy. This season is pretty much down the tubes. We're not going anywhere. Besides, maybe time off would give him a chance to sort out the personal issues, without so much pressure every day.

It was nice to see him have a much better game tonight, but I want him to have a lot more really good games, when it can make a real difference for the team.
Agreed, we don't want a Chris Paul situation (whose meniscus was partially removed instead of being allowed to heal) where the team puts its foolish interests ahead of the player's long term health. And now New Orleans could possibly be looking at their own Brandon Roy type of disaster down the line with their own star, all in the name of getting Paul back a few weeks early during a meaningless season. Learn about the procedure thoroughly and do whatever will guarantee that Tyreke Evans will be in the league for the longest. Nothing else should matter right now. As others have said, the season has already been decided (development! development! development!) and we don't need him grinding it out any longer.

And as I've said before, the plus side to sidelining Tyreke long term is that we can then throw this team on Cousins' back and see if the pressure of having an offense run through him will accelerate the maturation process, much like what we did with Tyreke last season (only everyone's going to like Cousins' passing a lot more :p). If Westphal allows it, that is.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
As long as it is low risk I think he should do it. If he is compensating foot pain he could wreck a knee or injure his back. Let's nip it in the bud while we can afford it.
This is what I worry about. The foot bone is connected to the ankle bone, which is connected...etc.

I just want him 100% for the off-season so that he can improve his game for next year. I don't want his offseason to be spent rehabilitating or just resting it . If the off-season is shot, then we're back to square 1 all over again and he won't be much better than in his rookie season going into 2011.

I think that Tyreke should get the operation if 1) the operation has a high success rate with little to no chance for making the condition worse. 2) He is sure he can't play progressively better over the entire season. If he is gonna get it done however, the sooner the better! Let him get the surgery now so he is 100% healthy for next season. Kings are not going to win anything this year. So why play injured to enter the lottery anyway? All signs point to next season after the new CBA is signed as the time when the Kings will return to relevance. If that is the case, why would you wait? Hopefully the Kings don't get screwed in the lottery again and the CBA somehow works in their favor. It is hard to be a Kings fan these days.

Am I the only one that thinks this doesn't sound right?

Its suppose to be an injury that can't get any worse and Tyreke can continue to play on and do treatments. Yet in order to treat it, it will require him to miss 3-4 months.

Remember GP and PW told us the foot is a small deal.

Now its something that will require 3-4 months. So is it the foot or the personal issue that needs 3-4 months to take care of?

I think it would be a great idea for him to do this ASAP. The Kings are going no where quite frankly, so take care of it, get well and see ya next year (or at the end of this season at the very earliest).

Just my opinion of course...

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Am I the only one that thinks this doesn't sound right?

Its suppose to be an injury that can't get any worse and Tyreke can continue to play on and do treatments. Yet in order to treat it, it will require him to miss 3-4 months.

Remember GP and PW told us the foot is a small deal.
Now its something that will require 3-4 months. So is it the foot or the personal issue that needs 3-4 months to take care of?
Yeah I kinda agree. Westphal said it wasn't serious. Petrie said it's minor. Tyreke said it's not bad enough to make him sit. His brother tried to pull him out indefinitely. Then report of outside personal problems. Then he looks good for the most part and drops a season high 32. Now season ending surgery? He didn't look like a guy needing season ending surgery last night.

I truly wonder how much of this is mental. Confusing to say the least. Even the report that says he might do it next week, at the allstar break, or after the season is confusing. If it's that bad do it tomorrow, and if it is that bad, why the option of doing it in 2-5 months down the road?