Ty Lawson?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I have a feeling we will be seeing Ty Lawson in purple and white this summer....he and the Nuggets have agreed to part ways, now it's just about asking price.

gunks

Hall of Famer
DC + ?

Maybe a pick swap if we luck out and are picking above Denver.

I think it's a lateral move at best, could be a bad move if we give up too much. DC is perfectly fine as our starting PG going forward IMHO, it's backup PG and starting SG that need to be addressed (at least as far as back court is concerned).

But.... Karl loves Lawson, so I can see a trade happening as well.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I have mixed feelings about Lawson. First, I don't think we need him. At least not as a priority. Second, he does know Karl's system, and might be an upgrade over Collison, on the offensive side. It's the defensive side that bothers me. However, if we were to draft Cauley-Stein, or really get lucky and draft Towns, either one of them along with Cousins can help correct some of the mistakes made on the perimeter. Just not sure it's worth the effort of cutting a deal for him.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I have mixed feelings about Lawson. First, I don't think we need him. At least not as a priority. Second, he does know Karl's system, and might be an upgrade over Collison, on the offensive side. It's the defensive side that bothers me. However, if we were to draft Cauley-Stein, or really get lucky and draft Towns, either one of them along with Cousins can help correct some of the mistakes made on the perimeter. Just not sure it's worth the effort of cutting a deal for him.
I'm pretty much 100% with Baja on this one.

K

KingMilz

Lowry or Lawson who do you take.

I think Houston will be getting one of them and if we are going after a pg we get the other.
Lawson to me, Lowry's D has regressed so much I would take Ty over him on offense plus the last time Lowry and Rudy got together............yeah thing's didn't work out. Lawson is more pass first than Lowry who has been beating up on scrub PG's in the East.

Both been hampered by injuries this year but so hopefully both can stay healthy. We should only go after either one if we can keep our pick but.

Lawson to me, Lowry's D has regressed so much I would take Ty over him on offense plus the last time Lowry and Rudy got together............yeah thing's didn't work out. Lawson is more pass first than Lowry who has been beating up on scrub PG's in the East.

Both been hampered by injuries this year but so hopefully both can stay healthy. We should only go after either one if we can keep our pick but.
Flip a coin on Lawson or Lowry IMO. If Coach Karl is steadfast in wanting Lawson then go for him. I agree the Kings should hang on to the pick and take the BPA.

The Kings need talented players. Cousins, Gay and Collison is a good start. If a player like Jimmy Butler can be had for the pick/players then you do it. Otherwise Willie Cauley Stein or the BPA should be taken.

The Kings need to make another splash like when PDA brought in Rudy Gay.

The more I think about Lawson's defense, the more I don't desire him.. we go against Curry, CP3, Bledsoe, 4x a year.

I'm one of those who believe we need an upgrade at PG, but I think I'd rather stick with Collison and our pick.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Lawson maybe a necessary evil, much like Miller these are the guys who Karl trusts and who understand what he wants. If we are stuck with Karl then you HAVE to make the BEST of it by getting the play-makers that will do the best job of running the team his way. I am not weighing in on Karl vs. other options... that boat has sailed. I KNOW there are better guys out there cheaper ones but will they translate IMMEDIATELY into getting Karls's game plan into action on the court? I think of TL as a jump start for the team.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Lawson is not worth Collison and the pick at 6/7 or where ever it is. Not enough upgrade and you have to take contracts into account.

J

jdbraver

Does Lawson's current status warrant that much, DC + our pick? Two years ago sure but this league is what have you done for me lately.

The draft pick needs to stay with the Kings. It is just about the only way we get a better power forward to pair with DMC.

I do believe we are going to make a serious push for Lawson. Seeing that all reports are that he is becoming a cancer in the Denver locker room, his price tag should drop.

I would offer up DC and Nik and see if they bite. They may ask for Ben Mac instead of Nik, which makes it a lot tougher decision. We should only ship out Ben if we can get a viable replacement, i.e. Danny Green or Marco Belleni.

Lawson would be an upgrade at PG, primarily because he can run Coach Karl's offense more efficiently.

I love DC's game but I think Lawson is the better fit in Karl's system and thus I can see them shipping him out for Lawson, if Denver agrees.

Last edited:

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I don't think Lawson fits with Gay and Cousins. I don't think we need talent upgrades on offense.

I don't think Lawson fits with Gay and Cousins. I don't think we need talent upgrades on offense.
Disagree. We need a lot of help o offense. We are turn over machines and could use as many smart players who can dribble and pass as we can get. Also keep in mind, if our turnovers and efficiency inmprove it gives the other team less opportunities to break ou in transition. So helping the offense WILL help the defense.

J

jdbraver

Disagree. We need a lot of help o offense. We are turn over machines and could use as many smart players who can dribble and pass as we can get. Also keep in mind, if our turnovers and efficiency inmprove it gives the other team less opportunities to break ou in transition. So helping the offense WILL help the defense.
True you could see what an old poor shooting but effective floor general like a miller did. Imagine one with younger legs.

In order to acquire Lawson, the Kings need to give up this years lottery pick, which quite frankly I'd rather keep and just draft a big or wing defender and look for a trade or two to fill in missing pieces.
I don't want him here considering our cap situation and Collison being cheap. But you are correct it will most likely cost the pick, but the good news is for salary reasons Landry almost has to be included.

Disagree. We need a lot of help o offense. We are turn over machines and could use as many smart players who can dribble and pass as we can get. Also keep in mind, if our turnovers and efficiency inmprove it gives the other team less opportunities to break in transition. So helping the offense WILL help the defense.
Not this nugget of wisdom again. Playing defense, including one in transition, helps defense.

As for TOs here's a whopper for you:
Under GK
Kings w/o Cousins and Miller: 13.4TO% (97 TO in 725 poss) and 1.070 PPP - only 21.5 Ast%
Kings with Miller and w/o Cousins: 15.6TO% (132 TO in 845 poss) and 1.079 PPP - 23.8 Ast%
Kings with Cousins and w/o Miller: 17.1TO% (141 TO in 862 poss) and 1.070 PPP - 23.5 Ast%
Kings with Miller and Cousins: 21.3TO% (74 TO in 348 poss) and 1.078 PPP - only 21.8 Ast%
So TOs were actually coming from
a) new PG, who was in the process of learning his new team
b) center, who was asked to be a playmaker and carry offense

Center, who likes to dominate the ball + PG, who likes to dominate the ball - not a good combination, so no, Kings wouldn't need Lawson, even if he wasn't a sieve defensively.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Lawson is basically a rich man's IT, and we know how well that worked out. He plays a little better off the ball than IT, but taking it out of his hands renders his strength useless.

Making more baskets isn't going to help us stop the other team from making more baskets. Collision actually played well at the PG position for us when healthy. I think that position is way down the list for me, after PF and SG.

We were middle of the pack in offensive efficiency; plummeted to near last in defensive efficiency. We were giving up 105 points per game.

Scoring buckets is not an issue.

We need defenders.

bucksportspage is a twitter of a Bucks' fan, who studies journalism. No one among official media picked up this in 4 days, so I assume, if there was anything to it, it's dead for now. Maybe he has a source in Bucks' office, who told him, that Bucks offered Henson and #17 to Kings for #6. Kings then countered with "give us couple more picks and take Landry"(need for a third team on his next tweet), and that was it. His "We are not the only source reporting the #Bucks and #Kings trade" just looks too funny.

Henson scores very efficiently and blocks a lot of shots. But there's more to offense, than one guy knowing to pick his spots, and defense does not depend solely on blocking shots. Bucks can't score as a team with him on the floor, and defend better without him.
Bucks with Zaza and w/o Henson are +5.0 points per 100 possessions (106.0 for - 101.0 against), the other way around they are -4.7 (99.0 for - 103.7 against). Considering both spent almost same percentage of time with starting and bench perimeter guys, so it's not "he's sharing the floor with far worse players", I wouldn't want anything to do with Henson, if I were Kings. Henson's the same fool's gold as Ed Davis is, but with more flashy stats.

As for http://goldengatesports.com/2015/05/09/what-sacramento-kings-draft-pick/ I stopped reading after this guy decided to compare 'Staps, who can barely pass, to Webber - great expertise.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I was reading 'What Sacramento Kings Should do with Draft Pick' on FanSided for iOS and I thought you might be interested in reading it too.
http://goldengatesports.com/2015/05/09/what-sacramento-kings-draft-pick/

https://twitter.com/buckssportspage/status/595776911806201856

You guys see this rumor 6 pick for Henson and 17th pick he's only owed 2.8mull next year so our cap isn't greatly affected.
I'd take him over WCS. Henson defensive rating was 98
Cauley-Stein is taller, bigger overall, and a better athlete than Henson. Sorry, if I have to choose between the two, I'm going with Cauley-Stein. Henson's biggest problem is built in. He's all legs, and because of how he's built, he'll never have a strong core. Makes it difficult for him to hold positon in the post. He has trouble bulking up because of his frame. Cauley-Stein has similar core problems, but he has the frame to correct them. Another problem I have with Henson is that he's a bad free throw shooter. Three years of college, and now three years of NBA, and he's not improved one bit. He still shoots right around 50%. Stein isn't great either, but he has improved every year in college and shot around 62% this past season. What I'm betting on is Cauley-Steins upside.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
bucksportspage is a twitter of a Bucks' fan, who studies journalism. No one among official media picked up this in 4 days, so I assume, if there was anything to it, it's dead for now. Maybe he has a source in Bucks' office, who told him, that Bucks offered Henson and #17 to Kings for #6. Kings then countered with "give us couple more picks and take Landry"(need for a third team on his next tweet), and that was it. His "We are not the only source reporting the #Bucks and #Kings trade" just looks too funny.

Henson scores very efficiently and blocks a lot of shots. But there's more to offense, than one guy knowing to pick his spots, and defense does not depend solely on blocking shots. Bucks can't score as a team with him on the floor, and defend better without him.
Bucks with Zaza and w/o Henson are +5.0 points per 100 possessions (106.0 for - 101.0 against), the other way around they are -4.7 (99.0 for - 103.7 against). Considering both spent almost same percentage of time with starting and bench perimeter guys, so it's not "he's sharing the floor with far worse players", I wouldn't want anything to do with Henson, if I were Kings. Henson's the same fool's gold as Ed Davis is, but with more flashy stats.
I agree with completely. In his three years in the NBA, I've seen little improvement in him. So he is what he is, and what he is doesn't impress me that much.