Troy Williams to sign two-way with Kings

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

I remember seeing somebody (forgot who) within the last day hoping for this. Merry Christmas!

For my part, I've been very intrigued by Williams since his days at Indiana, but he seems to be very up-and-down. I've seen him look like an NBA starter for a whole summer league game, then look like a washout the next. Let's hope we can find a way to channel Good Troy Williams!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
With the two - way contract can we just keep him in Sac while sending JJ to Stockton?
A player on a two--way contract can only be with the parent team a total of 45 days out of the season. If he works out, we could waive Ben and sign him to a full contract.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Really good pick-up. Excellent shooter, very athletic, has potential on the defensive end and still just 24. Struggles a lot with consistency and doesn't have much of an offensive game outside of his shot.

If only Vlade and Co can be as on point with their real roster construction team as they've been at bringing in their "two-way/flier" guys, we might actually be somewhere.

A player on a two--way contract can only be with the parent team a total of 45 days out of the season. If he works out, we could waive Ben and sign him to a full contract.
I can see the Kings splitting the time for Wenyen and Williams in the big league club to cover about a 90 day span. That takes us close to the February trade deadline.

I think Vlade will try to trade the Vets; ZBo, KK, Ben, Shump to some salary dump team or as a third team to help facilitate a trade to get a pick or assets back by the trade deadline. Vlade may need their contracts to help facilitate a trade, no need to dump it now when we can manage two 2-way contracts to take us to the trade deadline.

If the Kings can't include the Vets contracts in a trade by the trade deadline, I think he has probably already promised them he would release them, so they can join another team in time for the playoffs. That's the way Vlade likes to work.

I think if Wenyen and Troy Williams show well, the Kings will guarantee their big league contracts after they release the Vets, after the trade deadline.

Last edited:
I'll just have to ride the excitement of the board members who seem to be applauding this move. Hopefully, it's not just because he isn't Justin Jackson. His early career numbers don't look great (they actually look worse than Jackson's, but maybe there is some eye test that he scores high on).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I can see the Kings splitting the time for Wenyen and Williams in the big league club to cover about a 90 day span. That takes us close to the February trade deadline.

I think Vlade will try to trade the Vets; ZBo, KK, Ben, Shump to some salary dump team or as a third team to help facilitate a trade to get a pick or assets back by the trade deadline. Vlade may need their contracts to help facilitate a trade, no need to dump it now when we can manage two 2-way contracts to take us to the trade deadline.

If the Kings can't include the Vets contracts in a trade by the trade deadline, I think he has probably already promised them he would release them, so they can join another team in time for the playoffs. That's the way Vlade likes to work.

I think if Wenyen and Troy Williams show well, the Kings will guarantee their big league contracts after they release the Vets, after the trade deadline.
Fair assessment. The comment about waiving Ben might be wishful thinking on my part. ;)

That seems right to me. I'm pretty sure I saw Gabriel on the bench on Wednesday. If so, his 45-day clock is already ticking -- or does it wait until the G-League season starts next month?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That seems right to me. I'm pretty sure I saw Gabriel on the bench on Wednesday. If so, his 45-day clock is already ticking -- or does it wait until the G-League season starts next month?
The 45-day limit pertains to how many days he's actually with the Kings. Wednesday counted as one day. If he traveled with the team, each day he's gone will also count (I think). I'll see if Larry Coons has a better answer in his CBA FAQ.

I'm happy about the pick up, but I've been wrong before. Of course I'm very critical of JJ, was disappointed in that pick after watching North Carolinas 2016 championship run.
I generally don't compare players for good reasons one of which is I don't see that many games anymore, but Troy reminds me a bit of Walt Williams. Never forget those knee high white socks.

How is his defense? Does he have any "nasty" in him?
Troy Williams has some grit to him, he left college early knowing it would be an uphill climb to find a permanent landing spot in the league. This is not his first rodeo.

He is extremely athletic, so he'll fight you for those inches that happen at warp speed. He has major burst, he's very difficult to recover against after he's got a step. Plays a fearless style of ball. takes it to the rack with major force.

He's made plenty of progress as a pro too. when he first left IU his jumpshot was considerably worse than it is now. He may actually be a mid-30's% guy.

He is actually much closer to Jakarr Sampson in size and skillset(tall swingman), than Wenyen Gabriel who's a combo forward.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I believe this has been changed this season and now only game-day's count as days of active duty..
Here's what I found:

A Two-Way player must be on the NBA team’s Active List or Inactive List (see question number 79) when with his NBA team, or on the Two-Way List when assigned to the G-League (only during the NBA regular season or playoffs). A Two-Way player can’t appear on the NBA team’s playoff roster or play in a playoff game, but he can be on the NBA team’s Inactive List during the playoffs, can travel and practice with the NBA team.
Clear as mud, right? :p

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q82

More explosive less strong Jakar with a better jumper LOVE IT!

Also Troy played under Joerger that season Memphis had all those injuries (year before Dave came to Sac town I think) and than they cut him fairly quickly.

Last edited:
Williams entered game agaisnt wiz and immediately made an impact on the defensive end. When do we get a look at Gabriel? The combo of Williams and Gabriel with their intangibles at the 3 seems a no brainer better lineup than JJ and his 25% 3pt shooting. Dont see Troy or Gabriel shooting worse than that and they bring a cartload of other things to the game.

Simple choice here. Use up the 2 way games, then cut zbo and ben and sign these 2 up. Trade JJ or put him on seep bench role while he re tools his shot