Trae Young (split)

Not saying he's gonna be on the level of LeBron James or Larry Bird, but he could be something close even if different. A guy that can pass, shoot, rebound and has such high basketball IQ that he impacts the game beyond the stat sheet and is a leader. That's not near as easy to find as a 20/10 post player (and this coming from a staunch Cousins supporter).

While it'd be nice to have a player like Bagley, I'd rather take my chances on a player that could be transcendent. When the Kings took Tyreke Evans back in 2009, they got a heckuva player. But they passed on a player that became transcendent in Curry. I don't want to see that happen to them again.
I haven't heard anyone say Luka has maxed out his potential. If that was the case we're talking rookie year bogi, not a top five pick. The question is where does he max out at? Being limited athletically makes it really hard to be a dominant player in the NBA. Gordon Hayward might be best case, and that's only if he improves his shot.

If you're worried about missing the next Curry I'd be more concerned about passing on Trae Young. I mean prospect wise he's the spitting image of Steph... Same strengths and same question marks. Projected to go around #7 too. Eerie similarities.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you're worried about missing the next Curry I'd be more concerned about passing on Trae Young. I mean prospect wise he's the spitting image of Steph... Same strengths and same question marks. Projected to go around #7 too. Eerie similarities.
And I'm not betting on Young either... But shouldn't shock anyone if he becomes a perrenial all-star type. He's basically a clone of Curry.
There's not much precedent for a prospect like Trae Young as there have been almost no one-and-done small, slight point guards who put up huge numbers despite being below average athletes.

In terms of the raw numbers he was more productive than Curry as a freshman. Around 6 more points per game but more importantly, about 6 more assists per game.

But to me the raw stats don't tell the whole story. As a whole Davidson was a significantly better team with Curry on the floor than off. Despite his production, Oklahoma was only marginally better with Young on the floor. He also had a pretty poor shooting percentage for such a volume shooter. It seemed to me in reading his teammates' body language late in the year that they were frustrated at times with Young's chucking.

Young does have fantastic vision which I think will be one thing he can hang his hat on in the NBA but I'll be curious to see how well he shoots. He has the range for the NBA but he also has a low release point that requires space to get off given his height.

He'll get picked on defensively with teams looking to get him on switches but that's to be expected. He'll have to get stronger and more aggressive to survive on that end.

But the big question will be if a team gives him the kind of free reign he had at Oklahoma. If not, how does he adjust?

I think Young has a chance to be Curry 2.0 the same way Porter Jr has a chance to be Durant 2.0 - that is, if everything broke perfectly, they can maybe be 80% as good, partly due to greater physical limitations.

There's not much precedent for a prospect like Trae Young as there have been almost no one-and-done small, slight point guards who put up huge numbers despite being below average athletes.

In terms of the raw numbers he was more productive than Curry as a freshman. Around 6 more points per game but more importantly, about 6 more assists per game.

But to me the raw stats don't tell the whole story. As a whole Davidson was a significantly better team with Curry on the floor than off. Despite his production, Oklahoma was only marginally better with Young on the floor. He also had a pretty poor shooting percentage for such a volume shooter. It seemed to me in reading his teammates' body language late in the year that they were frustrated at times with Young's chucking.

Young does have fantastic vision which I think will be one thing he can hang his hat on in the NBA but I'll be curious to see how well he shoots. He has the range for the NBA but he also has a low release point that requires space to get off given his height.

He'll get picked on defensively with teams looking to get him on switches but that's to be expected. He'll have to get stronger and more aggressive to survive on that end.

But the big question will be if a team gives him the kind of free reign he had at Oklahoma. If not, how does he adjust?

I think Young has a chance to be Curry 2.0 the same way Porter Jr has a chance to be Durant 2.0 - that is, if everything broke perfectly, they can maybe be 80% as good, partly due to greater physical limitations.
Funny you bring up Young’s teammates. Pollard was on the other day and said he wouldnt even take Young with the last pick in the draft. He said his teammates clearly hate him. He was not a fan lol

Btw what physical limitations are you referring to in regards to Porter?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Funny you bring up Young’s teammates. Pollard was on the other day and said he wouldnt even take Young with the last pick in the draft. He said his teammates clearly hate him. He was not a fan lol

Btw what physical limitations are you referring to in regards to Porter?
These are kind of in general, but specifically I was talking about physical limitations relative to him reaching Durant's level:

Relatively short wingspan relative to his height, lack of flexibility, very stiff hips. That's saying nothing of lingering effects from his microdiscectomy. Durant is freakish in his fluidity and change of direction at his size and length. Porter isn't quite as long and isn't anywhere near as fluid.

But he has great shot mechanics, the ability to get his shot off at any time and good athleticism and size for a big wing that potentially can play the 3 or 4. He's not my favorite prospect but in a best case scenario he could be a great player. I just don't see him reaching KD's level under any circumstances. That's a bit of an unfair measuring stick though.

These are kind of in general, but specifically I was talking about physical limitations relative to him reaching Durant's level:

Relatively short wingspan relative to his height, lack of flexibility, very stiff hips. That's saying nothing of lingering effects from his microdiscectomy. Durant is freakish in his fluidity and change of direction at his size and length. Porter isn't quite as long and isn't anywhere near as fluid.

But he has great shot mechanics, the ability to get his shot off at any time and good athleticism and size for a big wing that potentially can play the 3 or 4. He's not my favorite prospect but in a best case scenario he could be a great player. I just don't see him reaching KD's level under any circumstances. That's a bit of an unfair measuring stick though.
Thanks. I really appreciate that detailed breakdown

I disagree. I think Young has a better shot than MPJ. Young is going to get his shots no matter what because he'll be playing PG..similar to situation with Kemba at Charlotte. He shot below 40% in 3 out of his first 4 years, yet Charlotte still continued to give him the greenlight. On the other hand, MPJ won't be the primary ball handler of the team. If he sucks it up and shoots below 40%, he's not going to get 3 years to fix that.

Doesn't have the wing span or the defensive potential of Durant.