Trading up?

gunks

Hall of Famer
I dont believe Petrie has ever done this before...But how about trading up in the draft? Its deep enough that with the right deal a team might be willing to part with a pick in the 4th-6th range.

We do have a few pieces that are desired around the league (Bibby, Artest, even SAR) that can be moved around in draft day trades.

And pushing the hypothetical question even deeper into realms of the unrealistic....How about moving Martin in a deal to get the #3 or #4 pick (Wright and Horford territory)?

I dunno, I'm not content with the 10th pick, and Petrie shouldnt be either!

There are only 2 teams that are enough under cap that they could take a player from us for a draft pick -- Charlotte and Atlanta. Charlotte's barely earlier than we are, and Atlanta's pick already belongs to Phoenix.

So to do it, we'd need to trade one or more players for guys who are worse. Artest for a couple of worthless enders, or something like that, would be about the best possible scenario.

I doubt that Petrie will do it.

Petrie may have to forget about the draft and pull some kind of "win now" scenario out of a hat. Our 10th pick plus Kevin Martin, Brad Miller and Kenny Thomas for Kevin Garnett. Screw building through the draft...

SAR/Justin
Garnett/Corliss
Artest/Garcia
Salmons/Douby
Bibby/Price

There are only 2 teams that are enough under cap that they could take a player from us for a draft pick -- Charlotte and Atlanta. Charlotte's barely earlier than we are, and Atlanta's pick already belongs to Phoenix.

So to do it, we'd need to trade one or more players for guys who are worse. Artest for a couple of worthless enders, or something like that, would be about the best possible scenario.

I doubt that Petrie will do it.
We wouldn't be trading up, but we can still do that with Atlanta since they more than likely have the pacers' pick.

Petrie may have to forget about the draft and pull some kind of "win now" scenario out of a hat. Our 10th pick plus Kevin Martin, Brad Miller and Kenny Thomas for Kevin Garnett. Screw building through the draft...

SAR/Justin
Garnett/Corliss
Artest/Garcia
Salmons/Douby
Bibby/Price
Blasphemy!!!!

Oh and Minnesota never does that.

SAR/Justin
Garnett/Corliss
Artest/Garcia
Salmons/Douby
Bibby/Price
Why would Minnesota do that trade? The only player of value is Martin and he's no KG. Why would they want do move down in the draft to lose KG?

I understand this board's fascination with KG, but I do not understand why anyone ever realistically thinks that we have any chance of acquiring him.

McHale already said KG's off limits unless he asks out and he's going to try to put more guys around him. They're also supposedly working on a contract extension. Sorry.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Ok...Well, what about trading with another higher pick lotto team?

Atlanta needs a PG dont they? How about we send em Bibby for a few guys they dont want + their pick?

Phoenix own their pick this year (unless they get top 3, in which case they won't be trading it). I'm all for trading up, just not at the expense of trading Martin. I also wouldn't mind trying to move Bibby, Artest or Miller for another lottery pick. This is a fairly deep draft, a good one to have more than one pick to begin the rebuilding process.

One thing to note is that we can't technically trade Bibby on draft day because of his ETO. It would have to be a handshake trade that was finalized July 1st, and I'm not so sure how likely that is.

Perhaps they can now pull the trigger on a Bibby to the Cavs trade of some sort. Maybe get the CAVS pick plus a serviceable bench bigman from them would be good. They way we can get a couple of first rounders and shore up the bench a little.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Perhaps they can now pull the trigger on a Bibby to the Cavs trade of some sort. Maybe get the CAVS pick plus a serviceable bench bigman from them would be good. They way we can get a couple of first rounders and shore up the bench a little.

Cavs don't have their pick -- was a problem back at the trade deadline. And the only big we'd want on their roster is a FA. Maybe a sign and trade I guess, but there would ahve to be more bodies and once you get past LeBron and Varejao (the FA big) not much tehre that interests me.

As an aside, the Knicks do not have thir lottery pick either -- going to Chicago. Do have the #23 (theirs from another trade).

Ont he very minor trading up scale, wonder if we could move up a spot to get the guy we want by goinng our pick + Reef to Chicago for their (NYs pick). Only one spot, so I'd have to be sure Chciago was going to take our guy otherwise. Figure they probably want either a center or a big OG type. Maybe Brewer. Mayeb Hibbert. If both were on the board, movign up one to get the guy we want would make sense. If Jianlin or somebody slipped, doubly.

SAR/Justin
Garnett/Corliss
Artest/Garcia
Salmons/Douby
Bibby/Price
however since minne is in win now mode, we could trade artest for their pick and a ender or contract filler. i wouldnt want to give up the pick, kmart for garnett. IMO its gona just take us back further in rebuilding.

Cavs don't have their pick -- was a problem back at the trade deadline. And the only big we'd want on their roster is a FA. Maybe a sign and trade I guess, but there would ahve to be more bodies and once you get past LeBron and Varejao (the FA big) not much tehre that interests me.

As an aside, the Knicks do not have thir lottery pick either -- going to Chicago. Do have the #23 (theirs from another trade).

Ont he very minor trading up scale, wonder if we could move up a spot to get the guy we want by goinng our pick + Reef to Chicago for their (NYs pick). Only one spot, so I'd have to be sure Chciago was going to take our guy otherwise. Figure they probably want either a center or a big OG type. Maybe Brewer. Mayeb Hibbert. If both were on the board, movign up one to get the guy we want would make sense. If Jianlin or somebody slipped, doubly.
That's an interesting idea, although we'd have to take back equal salary if it were a draft-day trade, and we couldn't trade for one of their instant-expirings.

If it were a handshake deal, I'm pretty sure it could be completed on July 1 without matching salaries since the Bulls will be slightly under the cap, and that would be one way for the Kings to clear up some cap room,

If we only wanted to move up a little, Charlotte might be willing to do something like a sign-and-trade of Wallace for Artest, that would be a substantial raise for Wallace, and Charlotte would get a solid SF to replace him, instead of getting nothing.

Probably too good to be true, though.

If we only wanted to move up a little, Charlotte might be willing to do something like a sign-and-trade of Wallace for Artest, that would be a substantial raise for Wallace, and Charlotte would get a solid SF to replace him, instead of getting nothing.

Probably too good to be true, though.
Does Charlotte not want to keep Wallace? I honestly don't know but keep seeing him in trade proposals. They have to money to keep him and he's been great for them.

Wallace has only a year of player option left on his contract, and his pay is low enough that there will be a number of teams offering him big raises. Whether he likes playing in Charlotte, or would rather move on, is something I don't know about. But if he wanted to stay there, and Charlotte wanted to pay him well, I'd have expected a contract extension by now.

One thing to note is that we can't technically trade Bibby on draft day because of his ETO. It would have to be a handshake trade that was finalized July 1st, and I'm not so sure how likely that is.
I think the only legitimate way, if the team getting Bibby wants assurance he won't exercise his ETO, would be for Bibby to waive the ETO before draft day. I think the chances of him doing that are zilch.

Bibby's value isn't that high and the top 7-8 could be legit stars. Nobody wants Bibby's huge contract and the uncertainty that comes with it. For all they know it's a 1 year rental of Bibby.

Bibby's value isn't that high and the top 7-8 could be legit stars. Nobody wants Bibby's huge contract and the uncertainty that comes with it. For all they know it's a 1 year rental of Bibby.
You are probably right in saying that no one would give us top 7-8 pick for Bibby but he has another 2 seasons left on his contract so it would be a 2 year rental :p