Trading 2021 pick

This offseason, the Kings...

• Will trade their 2021 pick, but should keep it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Will keep their 2021 pick, but should trade it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think 2021 would be earliest pick we could trade.

Im guessing this offseason the plan is to go after some free agent or 2 and praying our pick will be an impact player. This would then be the end of the rebuild and management assumes rightly/wrongly we will be off to the races...

Do you think we will/should use our 2021 pick to either get an extra pick this year, move up in draft for Bagley/Doncic, or for a player?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I think "will" and "should" are very different questions. Please be a bit more specific on what you would like on your poll and I can add it.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think 2021 would be earliest pick we could trade.

Im guessing this offseason the plan is to go after some free agent or 2 and praying our pick will be an impact player. This would then be the end of the rebuild and management assumes rightly/wrongly we will be off to the races...

Do you think we will/should use our 2021 pick to either get an extra pick this year, move up in draft for Bagley/Doncic, or for a player?
Well, first why don't we see where were picking in the coming draft before going into a panic and making desperate trades. I do think this draft is an important one, but the final moves will come after next season when we'll, as it stands now, have about 60 plus million in capspace with which to fill any holes we think need filling. At the moment, one can't speak in absolutes, and therefore, shouldn't make any decisions based on what if's. Unless it's just for fun of course...

Other than not knowing:

(1) how the current players will pan out over 3 years;
(2) where the Kings will pick in 2018;
(3) who the King will pick and how he'll fare over 3 years;
(4) how well the Kings will do in free agency in 18, 19, and 20;
(5) how good or bad the Kings will be in 19-20 (to assess), 20-21 (to convey);
(6) what the cap sheets of most of the teams will look like in in the summer of 2021;
(7) how the new lottery rules will impact the value of picks;
(8) whether the NBA will further adjust the lottery rules if tanking persists;
(9) who the Kings GM will be; and
(10) lots of other relevant stuff,

this question seems both pressing and pertinent.

Well, first why don't we see where were picking in the coming draft before going into a panic and making desperate trades. I do think this draft is an important one, but the final moves will come after next season when we'll, as it stands now, have about 60 plus million in capspace with which to fill any holes we think need filling. At the moment, one can't speak in absolutes, and therefore, shouldn't make any decisions based on what if's. Unless it's just for fun of course...
I agree about the not panicking yet, who knows, we jumped from 8th to 3rd last summer.

Of the free agent class for 2019 when we will have all that cash, who do you think might make a good target for the style of ball we are going to try to be playing? Link to the list below:

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2019/

I think "will" and "should" are very different questions. Please be a bit more specific on what you would like on your poll and I can add it.
I was intending for both the will and should to take a pulse of the idea and what fans/ forum goers think tbe kings intend to do.

1) Kings "will" trade the pick and should
2) Kings should trade the pick but won't
3) Kings will trade pick but should NOT

Other than not knowing:

(1) how the current players will pan out over 3 years;
(2) where the Kings will pick in 2018;
(3) who the King will pick and how he'll fare over 3 years;
(4) how well the Kings will do in free agency in 18, 19, and 20;
(5) how good or bad the Kings will be in 19-20 (to assess), 20-21 (to convey);
(6) what the cap sheets of most of the teams will look like in in the summer of 2021;
(7) how the new lottery rules will impact the value of picks;
(8) whether the NBA will further adjust the lottery rules if tanking persists;
(9) who the Kings GM will be; and
(10) lots of other relevant stuff,

this question seems both pressing and pertinent.
Who should the Kings pick in the 2039 draft?
While i understand the urgency to get your mocking posts out there quickly the question is meant for THIS summer do/will/should we trade that pick NOT in 3 years time. If you read the opening post, or go with the only reasonable guess, the intent is fairly clear. Would be pretty odd to tbink we would trade up in year 2021 for Ayton/Doncic/Bagley.

The point of trading that pick now would be, for instance, to draft a guy that possiblly slips like Knox. He can then deveople now along with rest of core so the kings talent is coming together around the same time. Then by 2021 that pick wpuld be closer to #20 or higher (stars align) and we would not be as interested nor have the avaulable mins to develop a rookie.

Last edited:
If think that:

(1) the teams with top picks that just carpet bombed their fan bases with historical tanking to get a top pick will suddenly convey that pick for a 1st rounder iTHREE years later; or

(2) the Kings should trade another future potential lottery pick hoping to be good by the time it comes due,

Might want to get some fresh air champ

If think that:

(1) the teams with top picks that just carpet bombed their fan bases with historical tanking to get a top pick will suddenly convey that pick for a 1st rounder iTHREE years later; or

(2) the Kings should trade another future potential lottery pick hoping to be good by the time it comes due,

Might want to get some fresh air champ
1) If Kings were picking 5 or 6 and Orlando was at 3, its hardly outside the realm of possibilities they would accept a trade down and acquire a potentially future high lotto pick and atill draft the guy they want in Young. Kings then select Doncic at 3.

2) There is a difference in trading a future pick to clear cap space to sign Rondo and Belinili and trading a future pick for a current pick. I wouldn't trade it for peanuts, would have to be a player we are excited about at that spot. If no team is interested then we move on and keep it. But if it can net us pick #8-14 o would happily take the gamble that in 2021 we will be picking above that spot. Or in the least above 10.