Trade Idea: Would you?

WCS+Buddy for Cavs #7

• Total voters

The_Jamal

Hall of Famer
So, been thinking of ideas to acquire another lottery pick in this draft and came up with this idea that somewhat makes sense in my head.

We'll operate under a few assumptions since this is fantasy land anyway:

Our pick is #5
Cavs pick is #7
Mo Bamba, Mikal Bridges, Miles Bridges and Wendell Carter are all available at 7
Ayton, Doncic, Bagley, Young go 1-4 in some order, leaving Jaren Jackson Jr and Michael Porter available at 5.

Why the Cavs do it:

This trade would kill two birds with one stone for them. They get 2 good, young players who have NBA experience already and are much closer to contributing to winning basketball than a rookie would be. Have to imagine LeBron would be far more enticed to stay with another elite shooter and quality scorer and he'd probably turn WCS into the best rim runner in basketball rather than a rookie. WCS and Nance gives them a chance to actually improve their atrocious defense. They win on value as well. Buddy and WCS are young enough too that even if LeBron leaves, it still gives them two future building pieces.

Why we do it:

We consolidate possibly superfluous talent into better potential(Buddy stuck behind Bogdan long-term? Does WCS hold off Skal? Giles? Bamba? Jackson?) and we keep a clean cap sheet with not having to worry about a WCS extension. I think this would let us be really aggressive in FA and be competitive in the RFA market. Starting next season if we did this trade:

4 years: Michael Porter, Bamba
3 years: Fox, Giles, Mason, JJ
2 years, Bogdan, Skal

Fox || Mason
Bogdan
MPJ || JJ
Skal
Bamba ||Giles

I mean, what's that core missing? Amazing length/athleticism at 4 of the 5 spots, you have fantastic shot creation, theoretically floor spacing at all 5 spots, two guys with the potential to be #1's in Fox and MPJ, a projected defensive star with Bamba and you could basically switch everything. I think I'd be just as convinced with Jackson at 5 and Mikal Bridges at 7 too. As much as I think WCS and Buddy are good players, I think Bamba and Mikal Bridges are going to be far more valuable in today's NBA than those two. And we wouldn't have to worry about paying pick #7 for a long time.

Id do this trade immediately. Makes sense for both sides. We could get Jackson/Bamba then one of the Bridges. Or Porter then maybe Bamba.
With Giles WCS and Skall and a potential draft pick, someone is going to be caught in a numbers crunch. It would make a lot more sense to trade quantity of 2 good young players for 1 higher ceiling younger prospect that would also fill a Void of need i.e. SF. I like Buddy, but as mentioned, he is limited to 6th man gunner as long as we have Bogs and frankly id rather see Bogs get more mins next year which cuts into Buddys mins.
Aslo, bother Buddy and WCS have a big downside to them that is hard to bet long term.
Buddy is limited athletically and is very stiff. Tbis seems to olay a roll in his balm handling issues. 2 big negatives that will hold him back from being a more valuable 2 guard over Bogs.
For WCS all my concerns with him would be classified under "mental" concerns. He goes through ups and downs where he seems engaged. I question his oassion for the game. Love him as a person, probably my favorite King. Love his hats! But not sure how much he will dedicate and fight to make himself better over long term as well as consistently battle on the court.

Makes a ton of sense for Cavs here too. Both WCS and Buddy fit the Cavs and Lebron like a glove. They get 2 toung guys ready to produce NOW while Lebron is still at the top of his game.

Last edited:
Love your point about not having to worry about extending WCS....id even go ad far as including our 2021 1st top 2 protected pick. Picking a young talent to develope in 2021 might be more useful to the Cavs than trying to develope a guy now. They can have their cake and eat it too. And honestly, what other team can or would offer a better deal than this? We can also take salary back too.
This trade could actually happen! Feeling excited! Hope this gets around to Vlade

Last edited:
Cleveland wouldn’t do that trade they’d probably just take Young to appease Lebron who will leave anyways and to sell tickets.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I say no. It's not that I don't like the potential options there at #7, and it's not that I think WCS and Hield are untouchable, but at some point we have to pick a core and move forward with it, rather than continually discarding the old(er) players we have for a youth movement year after year after year. And I'm not sure the value is great. We would be trading away two established rotation players - guys that could potentially start on some teams but in a bit of a luxury may both end up coming off the bench for us in the upcoming years - for a lottery ticket. Unless that lottery ticket pans out to be a top-15 starter level talent, then you probably lose the deal - on top of adding another year onto the rebuild. In fact, you're probably adding two years onto the rebuild because we don't have a pick next year. It just feels like one step forward, two steps back, and the step forward is risky at that.

You’re stealing my sign-and-trade package for Jokic. Also, this is just not good value. And definitely not to draft Bamba. We are not drafting Bamba. I repeat, we are not drafting Bamba. Does our front office and coaching staff seem interested in running the OKC or Houston offense? The only way we draft Bamba is as part of a trade for someone else we want.

I say no. It's not that I don't like the potential options there at #7, and it's not that I think WCS and Hield are untouchable, but at some point we have to pick a core and move forward with it, rather than continually discarding the old(er) players we have for a youth movement year after year after year. And I'm not sure the value is great. We would be trading away two established rotation players - guys that could potentially start on some teams but in a bit of a luxury may both end up coming off the bench for us in the upcoming years - for a lottery ticket. Unless that lottery ticket pans out to be a top-15 starter level talent, then you probably lose the deal - on top of adding another year onto the rebuild. In fact, you're probably adding two years onto the rebuild because we don't have a pick next year. It just feels like one step forward, two steps back, and the step forward is risky at that.
Agreed, and I like Hield going forward we are underselling him

Easy yes for me, but I don't see how Cleveland does this.

They need star power to add around LeBron. Hill isn't it. Clarkson isn't it. Hood isn't it. Osman isn't it. Nance isn't it. Thompson isn't it. Zizic isn't it. They have Love as a 2nd star, but they need more if they ever want to be a serious threat to compete for a title again. The BKN pick is really the only hope they have right now considering their cap situation (whether that is trade it for a star now or hoping the pick develops into one).

And if LeBron leaves, I'd assume the Cavs would rather start over with the younger & higher potential player they can keep on a rookie contract for the next 4 years.

Honestly, you'd probably have to look at adding in a future 1st or Labissiere to make it work.

PG - Fox - Mason
SG - Bogdanovic
SF - Doncic/M. Porter - Ju. Jackson
PF - M. Porter/Bagley/Ja. Jackson
C - Giles

You'd have all star potential at five positions. Yeah some of the depth from our youth is gone but at the end of the day, stars own this league.

I understand a lot of fans are ready to get the rebuild over and move forward. But i think here we would be trading 2 of our bench young guys due to poor fit and upgrading for a much higher quality prospect that fits the team better. I think the upside is much higher by turning WCS and Buddy into Porter Bridges Bridges or Bamba.

THEN we have our core and move forward. Its just we move forward with the superior core that would be finished swapping WCS and Buddy for the 7th.

Last edited:
Easy yes for me, but I don't see how Cleveland does this.

They need star power to add around LeBron. Hill isn't it. Clarkson isn't it. Hood isn't it. Osman isn't it. Nance isn't it. Thompson isn't it. Zizic isn't it. They have Love as a 2nd star, but they need more if they ever want to be a serious threat to compete for a title again. The BKN pick is really the only hope they have right now considering their cap situation (whether that is trade it for a star now or hoping the pick develops into one).

And if LeBron leaves, I'd assume the Cavs would rather start over with the younger & higher potential player they can keep on a rookie contract for the next 4 years.

Honestly, you'd probably have to look at adding in a future 1st or Labissiere to make it work.

PG - Fox - Mason
SG - Bogdanovic
SF - Doncic/M. Porter - Ju. Jackson
PF - M. Porter/Bagley/Ja. Jackson
C - Giles

You'd have all star potential at five positions. Yeah some of the depth from our youth is gone but at the end of the day, stars own this league.
Id prefer we add a future 1st inatead of Skal, which i agree i thjnk it would take. Id include our 2021 pick and be comfortable even leaving off protections on it.

As far as Clev keeping the pick and hoping he develops to a star i just dont see it. Any of these guys will take a few years and they dont have the time for it. Also not sure what star they can get with the pick. The Stars that would help them don't seem available or they would have made the deal at deadline id imagine. We could also take back salary which could allow them to sign a P. George.

Also, if lebron stays which i think he will, a 2021 pick would align more with their next rebyild than this years

Last edited:
I’d use WCS to trade up to a team like Phoenix is they fell out of the top 2. At 3 they wouldn’t have a need for Porter or Bagley and need a center or pg if we sit at 6 offer 6 and WCS for 3 where they can get Young and WCS to play center. We’d get a scorer in Bagley to pair with Giles and Skal

To me at least, the trade doesn't make much sense. Teams give up on their core pieces when they are trying to start over, or when they are trying to get rid of a bad contract. We don't have any bad contracts. In fact, depending on who opts in, we might struggle to meet the floor. Plus, we don't have a pick next year, and winning will be a priority. Giving up on two solid pieces in the hope of another kid making it big in an year when we want to win is not a very smart move. We'll already be adding two high value rookies (this year's 1st and Giles). Do we want to develop a third one too?

Plus, remember that both Willie and Buddy were picked 6th in their draft class. You want to give up two 6th picks for a 7th pick? Sure, it can be argued that they are few years older, are closer to their potential than the rookie, while good, have not shown the star power of a high lottery pick, will need to be paid sooner, etc. However, there's no guarantee that we'll get the star power with a 7th pick.

We have several decent and intriguing pieces, but no stars yet. Perhaps some of the kids will reach there, but we should certainly try to get one using some of the young guys. So, instead of trading guys like Willie and Buddy for prospects, we should be looking to get some more established players, particularly those still young. Of course that's the hardest group to get. However, we'll either have a ton of cap space next year, or several decent vets on expiring contracts, and several young, decent prospects. We could potentially be of interest to some teams that might want to start over, and get rid of some bad contracts.

I know people think that we are not a FA destination, and with good reason. I think that's more a function of the team, than location. We have some potential on this team. If we get lucky this draft, and some kids show promise, we might be more attractive than folks think. Certainly not a premier destination for FAs, but one where they might not mind getting traded to.

For me, this is much more about consolidating a couple of our good assets and potentially hitting a home-run with a pick 7 like a Bridges or Bamba both of whom I think CAN hit that top-15 starter talent barrier that you mentioned. I think you have to take the WCS extension into account here too, which would free up a minimum 15+ (doubtful a WCS extension costs less) for us to go get a Nurkic type as well. Like:

Fox || Mason
Bogdan
Bridges || JJ
Jaren Jackson || Skal
Nurkic || Giles

That's a ridiculously good young core on both ends of the court and would give us much higher upside as a team than keeping WCS and Buddy off the bench. We're going to have to make decisions on everyone in the core anyway, I'm just expediting the process by acquiring a cost-controlled pick that would fit better in today's modern NBA, give us more flexibility to fill out the roster with vet bench options, etc.

Teams give up on their core pieces when they are trying to start over.

Plus, remember that both Willie and Buddy were picked 6th in their draft class. You want to give up two 6th picks for a 7th pick? Sure, it can be argued that they are few years older, are closer to their potential than the rookie, while good, have not shown the star power of a high lottery pick, will need to be paid sooner, etc. However, there's no guarantee that we'll get the star power with a 7th pick.

We have several decent and intriguing pieces, but no stars yet.
I don't understand the notion that trading players automatically designats "giving up" on them. "Giving up" is when you decide to not pick up the option or let them go without an offer as a restricted free agent. And any players the that kings have "given up" on clearly wouldnt be worth much to another team, certainly not worth a lotto pick.

Also, just because WCS has been here for a few years and Buddy came over last year in a trade, i dont think we have to be married to them as our "core," destined now to see where they take us.

Fact is Buddy is behind Bogdan and is limited where he cant handle and cant defend begger faster wings.

Fact is if we draft a big man, we dont have mins for WCS, Giles, Skal, Rookie big.

So if WCS and Buddy will likely be benxh players in the future, why would you not package and trade them for a higher quality prospect that is at the SF position, a spot of need, where they would likely be a starter? We would then have a much stronger/cohesive/balanced core with a higher ceiling. Hard to imagine we pass that up i an attempt to get more wins next year

Last edited:
I don't understand the notion that trading players automatically designats "giving up" on them. "Giving up" is when you decide to not pick up the option or let them go without an offer as a restricted free agent. And any players the that kings have "given up" on clearly wouldnt be worth much to another team, certainly not worth a lotto pick.

Also, just because WCS has been here for a few years and Buddy came over last year in a trade, i dont think we have to be married to them as our "core," destined now to see where they take us.

Fact is Buddy is behind Bogdan and is limited where he cant handle and cant defend begger faster wings.

Fact is if we draft a big man, we dont have mins for WCS, Giles, Skal, Rookie big.

So if WCS and Buddy will likely be benxh players in the future, why would you not package and trade them for a higher quality prospect that is at the SF position, a spot of need, where they would likely be a starter? We would then have a much stronger/cohesive/balanced core with a higher ceiling. Hard to imagine we pass that up i an attempt to get more wins next year
I'm not against trading any player. I don't think trading for prospects should be our plan in the current scenario. If anything, I would try and package some of the kids to get a more established star.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
First let me say that I agree with the Capt 100%. At some point you have to develop a core group of players. You can't keep trading out one player for another in the future that you think, with emphasis on think, will be better than what your trading. Some of you are seriously under valuing Willie. I won't argue his weaknesses. There's no disputing his poor rebounding at times. And no, he doesn't block a lot of shots, but that has a lot of how he's used. To block shots you need to be protecting the basket, and Willie plays away from the basket for the most part on defense. And folks, that's by design.

Willie can do things on defense that Bamba will never be able to do, and that's not a criticism of Bamba. He simply doesn't have the lateral quickness that Willie has. And neither do most of the centers in the NBA. Willie is a freak of nature, who is still figuring out who he is as a basketball player. That means, that he still has a lot of upside left. He's just now starting to tap into his potential. Now is not the time to trade him. I'm not as high on Buddy as I'am Willie, but I'm not willing to throw in the towel on him just yet. His inconsistent shooting bothers me, but mostly its the dumb turnovers that he continues to make.

I wonder how long it would take before some of you would be proposing trading Bamba for some future pick, when you find out how limited he is in some areas. Yes, he'll probably block a lot of shots around the basket, but can he guard on the perimeter? What happens when an Anthony Davis pulls him away from the basket? You can't just stand under the basket and block shots in the NBA. They have that silly 3 second rule. I'm not saying he won't adapt. I think he will. I actually like Bamba. But I think he would set back the progress of this team more than a year or so.

If your going to make a serious move, you wait until you know what you have in Giles. What if Giles is a good shotblocker? I know he can rebound because I saw what he could do in limited minutes at Duke when he wasn't even back to health. He's reported to be a terrific passer as well. So what if he's the perfect compliment to Willie. If so, then you don't need a Bamba. Problem is, we don't have the answer to that yet and won't until next year some time. Sometimes I feel like I'm watching that game show where the contestant is sitting there with $50,000.00 that he's won, and he's being asked if he would want to trade it for what's behind door # 1, door # 2, or door # 3? Insanity!

First let me say that I agree with the Capt 100%. At some point you have to develop a core group of players. You can't keep trading out one player for another in the future that you think, with emphasis on think, will be better than what your trading. Some of you are seriously under valuing Willie. I won't argue his weaknesses. There's no disputing his poor rebounding at times. And no, he doesn't block a lot of shots, but that has a lot of how he's used. To block shots you need to be protecting the basket, and Willie plays away from the basket for the most part on defense. And folks, that's by design.

Willie can do things on defense that Bamba will never be able to do, and that's not a criticism of Bamba. He simply doesn't have the lateral quickness that Willie has. And neither do most of the centers in the NBA. Willie is a freak of nature, who is still figuring out who he is as a basketball player. That means, that he still has a lot of upside left. He's just now starting to tap into his potential. Now is not the time to trade him. I'm not as high on Buddy as I'am Willie, but I'm not willing to throw in the towel on him just yet. His inconsistent shooting bothers me, but mostly its the dumb turnovers that he continues to make.

I wonder how long it would take before some of you would be proposing trading Bamba for some future pick, when you find out how limited he is in some areas. Yes, he'll probably block a lot of shots around the basket, but can he guard on the perimeter? What happens when an Anthony Davis pulls him away from the basket? You can't just stand under the basket and block shots in the NBA. They have that silly 3 second rule. I'm not saying he won't adapt. I think he will. I actually like Bamba. But I think he would set back the progress of this team more than a year or so.

If your going to make a serious move, you wait until you know what you have in Giles. What if Giles is a good shotblocker? I know he can rebound because I saw what he could do in limited minutes at Duke when he wasn't even back to health. He's reported to be a terrific passer as well. So what if he's the perfect compliment to Willie. If so, then you don't need a Bamba. Problem is, we don't have the answer to that yet and won't until next year some time. Sometimes I feel like I'm watching that game show where the contestant is sitting there with $50,000.00 that he's won, and he's being asked if he would want to trade it for what's behind door # 1, door # 2, or door # 3? Insanity!
Exactly!!!! Could only like this once so if just add on cause you left out Buddy Hield who was in that trade proposal.

Buddy is good off the bench no way we just trade him he’s shooting lights out we just need to get him more open looks run him off screens. He’s gonna be very valuable off the bench as a spark plug and his defense is getting better.

Also Giles is gonna be a good rebounder we know that and has better defensive awareness than Skal. He’d be an extremely good first Big off the bench for us with defense, rebounding, and passing to go with Hield.

Also I’d rather go Bridges/Nurkic off season that’s a grade A off season for me outside of getting a top 3 pick. WCS would fit next to Nurkic as well and he’s only 23

the question with that remains, what established star is available for trade?
Now that's a 100 million + dollar question now, isn't it?

I honestly don't have a clue. I do think that some stars might look for a new home in near future. Paul George remains my favorite hope. While extremely extremely unlikely, if we pick someone like Ayton, he might consider us. There is also a chance that some other players like DMC, IT, even Kawahi (given some stories coming out of SA) might move or be moved. While I'm ruling out both IT and DMC, someone like PG or Kawahi would be awesome, but they remain more of a pipe dream. That said, if Spurs do decide to part ways with Kawahi, we are one of the few teams that can give them both some cap relief (say by absorbing Pau's salary), and multiple prospects to trigger their rebuild.

Finally, some players will likely become available as the season goes along. In recent times, players like DMC, Paul George, Kyrie have become available (including trades here) when no one was really expecting them to. Hopefully, we can pull off something if an opportunity presents itself.

Nope. I'm tired of trading proven assets for unknowns. I've always seen these type of trades and the team receiving the "known commodities" usually come away the victor in this trade.

I would trade WCS because he's going to command huge money in the near future but I would keep Buddy. I would trade WCS + pick to move up in the draft but I wouldn't include Buddy. The kings have a decent guard prospects in buddy, bogs, fox, and mason.

Nope. I'm tired of trading proven assets for unknowns. I've always seen these type of trades and the team receiving the "known commodities" usually come away the victor in this trade.

I would trade WCS because he's going to command huge money in the near future but I would keep Buddy. I would trade WCS + pick to move up in the draft but I wouldn't include Buddy. The kings have a decent guard prospects in buddy, bogs, fox, and mason.
Agreed with WCS plus pick to move up.
If we end up at 7-8 pickI can see a couple of teams doing that trade with us to grab WCS and a pg (Young or Sexton)

Pheonix: have a need at center and pg
Orlando: have a need at center and pg

I think Orlando/Pheonix would do that trade if they got pick 3-5 and we’d be able to get Porter or Bagley

Agreed with WCS plus pick to move up.
If we end up at 7-8 pickI can see a couple of teams doing that trade with us to grab WCS and a pg (Young or Sexton)

Pheonix: have a need at center and pg
Orlando: have a need at center and pg

I think Orlando/Pheonix would do that trade if they got pick 3-5 and we’d be able to get Porter or Bagley
Curious that you see trading WCS and buddy as too much proven assets to give up but then you are happy to trade WCS to move up?

If you already trading WCS, i dont gollow the logic that you wouldn't include a bench scoring SG that is a poor defender and has a bad handle that will average 25 mins a game in order to get a potential all star SF (assuming we took a big with pur pick)

It is a whole lot easier to fill the role Buddy is in than to find an above averagr starting SF. Will Barton would be a superior 6th man for instance in free agency.

Last edited:

You wouldn't trade WCS and Buddy for Mikal Bridges?

Or from your prospective you would draft Mikal and look at it you wouldn't trade WCS and Buddy for Jackson/Bamba/Bagley?

Like you, im more high on WCS and not so much as Buddy. I'd love to see Bamba and WCS 3 to 4 years down road together. But considering the Cavs prospective i dont think they would be interested in Skal. My dream would be Buddy, Skal and 2021 1st for their pick, but not sure that does it. WCS makes a lot more sense to them.

Curious that you see trading WCS and buddy as too much proven assets to give up but then you are happy to trade WCS to move up?

If you already trading WCS, i dont gollow the logic that you wouldn't include a bench scoring SG that is a poor defender and has a bad handle that will average 25 mins a game in order to get a potential all star SF (assuming we took a big with pur pick)

It is a whole lot easier to fill the role Buddy is in than to find an above averagr starting SF. Will Barton would be a superior 6th man for instance in free agency.
Which potential all star are we trading up for? Cause the team getting Doncic isn’t trading that pick

Which potential all star are we trading up for? Cause the team getting Doncic isn’t trading that pick
Doncic isnt the only "potential" all star. Both the bridges and porter have the profile of potential all star to them..and certainly solid above average starting SF isn't overstating their potential.

If we draft a big with our 1st pick or Giles is a center there is a good chance WCS goes to the bench. Buddy is not overtaking Bogs anytime soon. So you would be trading 2 bench players for what should be at least a solid starting SF which is what we lack the most.