Trade deadline Poll

Who will be gone after the trade deadline?

• Marcus Thornton

Votes: 42 76.4%
  • Jason Thompson

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Jimmer Fredette

Votes: 32 58.2%
  • Isaiah Thomas

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Travis Outlaw

Votes: 21 38.2%
  • Aaron Gray

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Everyone Stays

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
I went with the top 3 even though I want us to keep JT as. 3rd tall off the bench and trade Landry.

I don't think we will trade Thomas. I am starting to think the hierarchy see him as part of the overall solution.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I'd have voted for DWill along with IT and MT who I did vote for.

Think an IT/MT/DWill package is our most intriguing package and is of good value. Could add/subtract with Ben/JT if needed. If we make a move I see it being multiple players and those guys are most likely to be included.

If not I think chances of a draft day deal greatly increase and PDA strikes me as the type who wouldn't hesitate to move the pick on draft night and that they plan on re-signing/matching on IT, at least to a point.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I went with IT. Not because I necessarily wanted him to be traded, but that I thought he would be the one most in demand, and easiest to move. I'd rather trade Thornton, but his contract makes him the hardest to move. Just going with logic instead of my heart.

K

KingMilz

Earlier in this thread I was saying we should trade for Larry Sanders but imo we might be better off waiting till after the draft/free agent signing period for a shot blocking PF/C. The draft has the likes of Embiid (god please give us the best frontcourt in a long time) and a few others that intrigue me like Isaiah Austin, WCS and there's another guy beginning with V.

If that falls through we could look for a cheaper option Ed Davis is coming off the books and still not getting much run in Memphis and maybe a couple others. If all those fall through than having another look at Larry and that monster contract could be a consideration.

I think if we are going to trade now it's either a above average PG /SG or don't worry about anything till next season. I don't really care all that much about fill in PG's like Andre Miller or whoever I rather just let IT develop and try get Jimmers value up. While I want this team to win, the reality this year was always going to be a building block year that could propel us into something nice next year.

Thornton + IT combo should net a quality player.
I highly doubt that. IT and Salmons could have but people aren't going to want Thornton. If you combine them in a deal you damn near negate IT's value with Thornton. You gotta figure a team is going to have to be willing to invest roughly 15$ mill in these 2 guys next year. No one is going to give up anything of value for Thornton and IT IMO.

Regardless of who is traded, it will be centered around Thomas. What I mean by that is we'll either be creating cap space to resign Thomas, trading him to get value back on a player we wouldn't resign, or bringing in a starting caliber PG to take Thomas' place.

Last edited:

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
What might be more interesting would bee to ask what ONE player not named Cousins or Gay would they most like to see back next season. I think at this point it ought to be fairly clear that everyone else is up for grabs if the right situation came along. I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that JT is undervalued and knows his role on the team and as such is the last one I would want to trade and would have to be getting back a tough, rim protector.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
What might be more interesting would bee to ask what ONE player not named Cousins or Gay would they most like to see back next season. I think at this point it ought to be fairly clear that everyone else is up for grabs if the right situation came along. I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that JT is undervalued and knows his role on the team and as such is the last one I would want to trade and would have to be getting back a tough, rim protector.
I think JT is safe. I wonder what Cuz and Gay think of IT. IT is polarizing on this forum. I think it is naive to think that he is not polarizing among the players. I would like that confirmed as if players react to IT like people on this forum do - the pluses and the negatives - he could be the center of a major locker room disruption. I presume PDA knows the answer about IT. I know how I feel but it is the team that matters the most.

I think JT is safe. I wonder what Cuz and Gay think of IT. IT is polarizing on this forum. I think it is naive to think that he is not polarizing among the players. I would like that confirmed as if players react to IT like people on this forum do - the pluses and the negatives - he could be the center of a major locker room disruption. I presume PDA knows the answer about IT. I know how I feel but it is the team that matters the most.
I did notice that IT's tweets have changed tone a bit (at least one did)... emphasizing the "I need to do better" aspect that he criticized for on this board a few weeks earlier... I'm not suggesting that he is spending time reading the board, I think it make him crazy if he did, but that he might get some heat from teammates for things he says in the public forum.

I don't think we should think about trading for a shotblocker until after the draft. If somehow luck goes our way, Embiid is everything we have been asking for and more, but there are also other guys to look at mid-lottery like Vonleh and Stein.

Any trade we make this season will bring back a quality backup PG, if you're trading IT it better bring back a starting PG.

I don't think we should think about trading for a shotblocker until after the draft. If somehow luck goes our way, Embiid is everything we have been asking for and more, but there are also other guys to look at mid-lottery like Vonleh and Stein.

Any trade we make this season will bring back a quality backup PG, if you're trading IT it better bring back a starting PG.
Perhaps, but if you're able to get a guy like Asik relatively cheaply, you'd be foolish not to. DraftExpress currently has Vonleh and Cauley-Stein going 8 and 9, respectively, and Hollinger's playoff odds currently predict us to finish with the 9th pick, so there's not a lot of wiggle room. You can't really assume any outcome at this point, and I imagine PDA will continue to be opportunistic.

I also disagree that anyone acquired over the next few months necessary has to be part of the "final product" that we hope to contend with in a couple years. This team still needs to accumulate and develop talent, while working to find better fits along the way.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
I went with IT. Not because I necessarily wanted him to be traded, but that I thought he would be the one most in demand, and easiest to move. I'd rather trade Thornton, but his contract makes him the hardest to move. Just going with logic instead of my heart.
Damn, there goes my sentiments exactly, except I voted for MT who needs touches to be a 15-20 point guy somewhere else and will not get those here with Cuz/Gay/MLM. IT is best bargain but would need a new contract to be worth enough to get something of value to fill a need. BUT if IT pushes for $8M-$10M that may be tough to take, for Kings for sure.

While Thonrton is overpaid, people act like he cannot play. That is simply not the case. He can still play and be the 15-18ppg scorer for someone. Heck he could be that player for us if we din not have 3 of the top 10 usage players in the league in our starting 5.

Thornton's role has changed. That is the only thing that is different. He hasn't lost his ability over night. He is just not getting the number of shots that he was.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I've played with people that thought they could do it all by themselves, and although it caused some conflict on the playing field from time to time, I never had a problem with them off the field, other than some intense conversations over pizza a couple of times. I guess I'm trying to say that what happens on the court doesn't always lead to trouble off the court. Most players leave what happens on the court, on the court.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
While Thonrton is overpaid, people act like he cannot play. That is simply not the case. He can still play and be the 15-18ppg scorer for someone. Heck he could be that player for us if we din not have 3 of the top 10 usage players in the league in our starting 5.

Thornton's role has changed. That is the only thing that is different. He hasn't lost his ability over night. He is just not getting the number of shots that he was.
I agree! GM's around the league know what Thornton can and can't do. I'm sure they know he didn't forget how to shoot the ball. They also know that he's a streak shooter that needs shots to get into a rhythm. I don't think its a matter of Thornton's talent, but his contract. If a team had a need, and thought he was a good fit, then you could probably do a deal, if they had something you wanted in return.