Time to put Bagley in the starting lineup?

Is it time to put Bagley into the starting lineup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is it time for Marvin Bagley to get into the starting lineup? If not now, then very soon?

Seeing how the Kings struggled with MBIII out injured and their woeful won-loss record when they get out rebounded. Also their constant bad habit of digging themselves into a big deficit to start games.

I think it is time to put MBIII into the starting line up. Let the young man show his promise and shine. Get his energy and determination in to start the games.

Time to unleash Marvin Bagley!!! ;)

Is it time for Marvin Bagley to get into the starting lineup? If not now, then very soon?

Seeing how the Kings struggled with MBIII out injured and their woeful won-loss record when they get out rebounded. Also their constant bad habit of digging themselves into a big deficit to start games.

I think it is time to put MBIII into the starting line up. Let the young man show his promise and shine. Get his energy and determination in to start the games.

I agree with this line of thinking especially if WCS stays in the starting lineup. We have to have someone that will cover at least some of his weaknesses (mainly interior defense and rebounding) and Bagley is our best bet. He will also help us keep loose balls alive and will help our ability to get offensive rebounds which we aren’t great in.

We have lost a lot of games because teams have way too many chances to score. Plus Bagley is such a natural scorer and is far more of a lob target than Bjelica. The only problem is Buddy would be targeted since he would really be the only shooter in that lineup. I would prefer WCS getting benched and keeping Bjelica out there but if Joerger is bound and determined to keep Willie out there then this is the 2nd best choice.

I agree with this line of thinking especially if WCS stays in the starting lineup. We have to have someone that will cover at least some of his weaknesses (mainly interior defense and rebounding) and Bagley is our best bet. He will also help us keep loose balls alive and will help our ability to get offensive rebounds which we aren’t great in.

We have lost a lot of games because teams have way too many chances to score. Plus Bagley is such a natural scorer and is far more of a lob target than Bjelica. The only problem is Buddy would be targeted since he would really be the only shooter in that lineup. I would prefer WCS getting benched and keeping Bjelica out there but if Joerger is bound and determined to keep Willie out there then this is the 2nd best choice.
Yes, that is the question, would WCS or Bjelicia be sent to the bench?

In the ideal world, WCS can play along side Bagley, but with WCS 3 point shooting non-existent, Bagley may be better suited to start next to Bjeli.

I think if Joeger keeps WCS in the starting lineup with Bagley, he would have to put Bogdan in the starting line up at SF, to help spread the floor.

The season is now at the half way mark and Bagley has shown he deserves to get more minutes (health permitting) and the starting nod.

Yes, that is the question, would WCS or Bjelicia be sent to the bench?

In the ideal world, WCS can play along side Bagley, but with WCS 3 point shooting non-existent, Bagley may be better suited to start next to Bjeli.

I think if Joeger keeps WCS in the starting lineup with Bagley, he would have to put Bogdan in the starting line up at SF, to help spread the floor.

The season is now at the half way mark and Bagley has shown he deserves to get more minutes (health permitting) and the starting nod.
Willie started the season off incredibly well but has faltered more and more. While he brings great perimeter defense and rim running ability, his shortcomings are beginning to be a serious problem. His free throw shooting is a huge detriment and it won't allow him to finish games (even Joerger, as stubborn as he can be, has to recognize this). His stone hands cause him to bobble passes and rebounds at least several times a game, and his interior defense is pretty pathetic for someone with his physical gifts. His lack of an offensive move (or offense in general) also greatly limits the team. He has a spin move, but his ability to actually finish and score is a wildcard at best.

The Suns eliminated all of our first options last game and Willie was left to try and score and he couldn't. Not even once. Not even on the free throw line. Going forward, we will have to have someone that can score down low and rebound, while also being at least adequate in defending the paint. The closest player we have to that is Bagley.

Again, Bagley and Bjelica starting together would be my ideal scenario, but Bagley and WCS could also potentially work, as Bagley helps to cover Willie's biggest weaknesses. It would clog the paint and most likely, as you suggested, we would have to start Bogdan. Although with the somewhat selfish way he has been playing lately, not sure how that would work.

I think Joerger and his Coaching staff have a good handle on the rotation. MB3 has looked great and I expect there will be times where he plays lots of minutes. MB3 is very young and he will start for many years, no need to rush it until Coach makes the move.

I’m going to borrow a script from PSHN80 and say “I’ll trust Joerger to make that decision.” I recently posted that I wanted Bagley to start on his second game back, but that was about enthusiasm. Beli spreads the floor, and I think that may be the best pairing if Willie continues with the Kings and as a starter. Plus we all know (some more than others) that what’s most important is who got the most minutes and who’s on the floor at crunch time. And it won’t be long before Bagley and Giles will be closing out games.

I guess it wouldn't be bad so we can learn what kind of players Bagley can play with cause to me regardless how well WCS plays this year in all depends on how he and Marvin fit together in regards to if we bring WCS back. I'm fairly confident Giles can play with any other big but not sure about Bags atm and would not mind finding out.

I voted yes, but completely fine if he continues to come off the bench. I would like to see him consistently getting closer to 30 min a game regardless of starting vs bench. It’s a little interesting now with Harry’s emergence. While I love watching both of them, I do feel TOO much of them on the court together, at this stage of their career, is kind of boom or bust. I haven’t checked the numbers, but it feels like together they are either dazzling us or going 3 or 4 trips in a row with a turnover. It might help to limit that pairing to maybe 10 min a game (for now) with Bagley starting.

I voted yes, but completely fine if he continues to come off the bench. I would like to see him consistently getting closer to 30 min a game regardless of starting vs bench. It’s a little interesting now with Harry’s emergence. While I love watching both of them, I do feel TOO much of them on the court together, at this stage of their career, is kind of boom or bust. I haven’t checked the numbers, but it feels like together they are either dazzling us or going 3 or 4 trips in a row with a turnover. It might help to limit that pairing to maybe 10 min a game (for now) with Bagley starting.
I think that is what Kosta is for. When they get too excited Kosta comes in and settles them down.

Whether he starts or not he should get 30 minutes per game soon. He looks to be on a minute restriction of 20 MPG. I expect this to be lifted soon. Until then Joerger did not play MB3 the entire 3rd and I was thinking "What is he waiting for....?" as our lead wavered. He wanted to play him most of the 4th and still be within the 20 minute threshold. He was reserving one of our most impactful players for the most important time of the game.

One thing I don't worry about with this coach is his trust and confidence level in Bagley. It is high. He's not going to jip him out of his playing time. Can't say the same thing about Giles yet but if he keeps playing as he has that will change too.

The internal view on this:

Kings' De'Aaron Fox explains why Nemanja Bjelica starts over Marvin Bagley

"And I think with our starting lineup, for sure, and which is why everyone questions why Marvin [Bagley] is not starting and this and that," Fox said. "I think [Nemanja Bjelica] spreads the floor so well and that’s what opens up my lanes, that’s what opens up driving lanes. [Iman Shumpert] is shooting the ball well, everybody knows Buddy [Hield] can shoot the ball and Belly can shoot the ball, they’re both, for their careers, shooting over 40 percent. So, if you help, it’s like pick your poison. Help or don’t help. If you don’t help, I’m going to get a layup or dump off to Willie. If you do help, we’ve got shooters on the wing."

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/k...why-nemanja-bjelica-starts-over-marvin-bagley

Bagleys offseason is pretty simple. Add range

Kingster

Hall of Famer

"And I think with our starting lineup, for sure, and which is why everyone questions why Marvin [Bagley] is not starting and this and that," Fox said. "I think [Nemanja Bjelica] spreads the floor so well and that’s what opens up my lanes, that’s what opens up driving lanes. [Iman Shumpert] is shooting the ball well, everybody knows Buddy [Hield] can shoot the ball and Belly can shoot the ball, they’re both, for their careers, shooting over 40 percent. So, if you help, it’s like pick your poison. Help or don’t help. If you don’t help, I’m going to get a layup or dump off to Willie. If you do help, we’ve got shooters on the wing."

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/k...why-nemanja-bjelica-starts-over-marvin-bagley

It does explain why Nemanja over Bagley, not why WCS over Bagley. Using the same logic, I think Bagley spaces the floor better than WCS with his outside shooting. And leaving the comparisons aside, ideally this team could use an outside shooting center and an outside shooting stretch 4. (My belief is that both Bagley and Giles will become legit 3 point shooters with time). Look at Brook Lopez with the Bucks and how he spreads the floor for the Greek Freak. Imagine how Fox would thrive with a center like that on the floor.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I just want Bagley back to his 30 minutes a game prior to the injury. And then give me Giles with 30 minutes a game. At some point we're going to see them on the floor together on a regular basis. Last night we something of how dynamic that duo can be. Who knows exactly when that pairing will be consistently seen on the floor. It's up to Joerger and the progress of both young men.

I have perfect faith in Bagleys ability to be a scorer at all levels but right now he needs to concentrate on his strength’s and work on the rest.

It does explain why Nemanja over Bagley, not why WCS over Bagley. Using the same logic, I think Bagley spaces the floor better than WCS with his outside shooting. And leaving the comparisons aside, ideally this team could use an outside shooting center and an outside shooting stretch 4. (My belief is that both Bagley and Giles will become legit 3 point shooters with time). Look at Brook Lopez with the Bucks and how he spreads the floor for the Greek Freak. Imagine how Fox would thrive with a center like that on the floor.
I think MBIII will develop a solid three point shot, but doubtful he's ever the shooter that Nemanja is (not many are). Would be great if Marvin can deveop into a solid 35%+ three point shooter for his career. I think that's a reasonable expectation. More than that is gravy in my opinion, and we might just be talking about Marvin as our SF like Vlade originally suggested!

This. Marvin is great right now coming off the bench providing scoring and rebounding punch. Once he adds strength he can replace Willie or if he develops his outside shot he can replace Bjelicia. Fox has gotten really good at the weak side swing pass off the pick and roll, and usually that recipient is Bjelicia. Marvin and Harry learning to play together sounds ideal for that second unit right now.

Marvin, Harry and Fox all need to add range but I think it’s most critical for Harry because you want to play him at the high post.

Agreed. Either way Range is key. Whatever Fox did this offseason to get more consistent i would follow to the T with Bagley

You dont bench WCS till after the trade deadline. Or do you want to lower his trade value?

I hate to say this but we have to wait until WCS gets injured. Then we'll see if the team is better and if Bagley can take the starting role.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
You dont bench WCS till after the trade deadline. Or do you want to lower his trade value?
I'm not talking about benching him right now. I'm just trying to figure out how he really fits with the Kings on a long term basis. I think with WCS I'm left with three principles that I must keep in mind every time I think about him: 1) his value to the team, 2) his value to other teams, and 3) value is relative.

It really all comes down to this: Can the Kings trade him for somebody better for their team? By that I mean, can they trade him for someone and then at the end of the trade you can safely say that the team overall is better? And if some other team offers X amount for WCS, can the Kings actually not use those X dollars to get somebody who is better if they decided to not sign WCS? Frankly, I have absolutely no idea on the answers to those questions. I just don't know what the conversations have been with the Kings and other teams about WCS and his value and I really don't even know what he might be offered by other teams in FA. Hopefully, Vlade knows.