Time for a Starting Lineup and/or Rotation Shake Up?

Should the Kings shake up the Starting Lineup now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Kings are 4 Wins and 8 Losses in the Last 12 games, after their hot start.

Bjelicia has cooled off and has come back down to earth.

Bagley has been playing very good basketball and showing vast improvements in the last couple of weeks.

Shump defense is good, but his offense is off and on.

Bogdan has come back from injury and is playing stellar ball and is rounding back to his all around good team play again.

Does Joeger need to shake up and/or tighten up his rotation and settle in on a 9 (or 10?) man rotation?

The question is, is it time to shake up the starting line up?

If Yes, then Who and Which positions?

Last edited:
No, it’s time for them to play some defense

The rotations don’t matter in that regard. Bagley is playing plenty of minutes and they’ve gone up the last few games. Bogdan is playing very well off the bench and he’s a stabilizing force for a young group that I doubt Buddy could duplicate facilitator wise even if he could still score off the bench.

Bjeli and Shump in the starting lineup I think is the best chance to get crucial production out of them. Sometimes not all your best players start

Last edited:
The Kings are 4 Win and 8 Losses in the Last 12 after their hot start.

Bjelicia has cooled off and has come back down to earth.
He is still shooting 54.3% from the field, and 51.5% from 3.

I voted No. its too early to do that now in my opinion. we are doing well. 10-11 after the schedule we had in November is good. Let see how the next month goes.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
for the time being I'd keep the same starting unit, but if the Kings fall too deep below .500 then I would love to see Bagley take over the starting position. Giles also needs to play more, it's not that complicated. He goes in and makes plays from the get go. He has some boneheaded plays and weak fouls but I'll take it, he needs to develop.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I know everybody wants to develop the young guys and give them all the playing time and that’s all good but now lots of us are getting upset we aren’t winning. Kosta could come in and defend and more importantly REBOUND to right the ship in a lot of these games but would take some minutes away from the youngsters. Pick your poison.
He could take away minutes from WCS who is not a youngster.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
There seem to be a few issues: 1) the Kings starting games slowly; 2) lack of interior D, and 3) the SF position.

As best as I can tell, the Kings have a tendency to start games slowly primarily because of two players - WCS and Fox. I would not want to take Fox out of the starting lineup because he is the most talented player on the Kings, age 20, and you need to let him figure it out. On the other hand, WCS is 25 years old and in his fourth year and should have figured it out by now. He has a tendency to not play hard and tough until his back is up against the wall. Bagley, Giles and Koufos don't seem to have a problem with starting the game strong. I would start Bagley and play him about the same number of minutes; he's played 33, 30 and 27 minutes respectively in the last three games (and was injured in 2nd half of last game). It seems to me that Bagley, though rough around the edges, gives you everything WCS has plus more. He would compliment Bjelica nicely and Shump and Fox and Hield, who I think should start. I wouldn't just play Bagley at center, however. During the course of the game, I might switch him over to the pf position.

Because I think WCS plays better with his back up against the wall, coming off the bench might be exactly what he needs. If Joerger tells him he's making the lineup change because he needs consistent effort on the defensive end of the floor and that he think Bagley gives him more of that than WCS, then Willie might get the message and actually try to block some shots and play D on a more consistent basis with his fewer minutes.

A search party should be organized to find Koufos and give the guy some decent minutes at the expense of WCS. If WCS slacks on defense for a minute, then in goes Koufos. Koufos IS tough. He DOES rebound. He DOES set good screens. And he IS consistent. I would also award Giles with more minutes at the forward position. He's earned some more minutes with his recent performance, both because of his offense and his defense.

I would also have Bogs come off the bench. He'll get plenty of minutes swinging behind both Hield and Shumpert. And I like that he can sit on the bench a while and Dr. Bogs can diagnose the court a while before coming into the game. I like him playing with WCS, as he's good with him offensively on the pick and roll, and hopefully he can be the on-the-court coach to get the guy to put out the consistent effort.

To really solve the SF issue, there needs to be a trade or off-season FA move, imo.

Consider that Bogi was our backup PG last night. Not Mason or Yogi. Bogi was playing well, which is why Fox didn't get back in the game for a long time.

Joerger doesn't consider Bogi a SF either as a starter or off the bench. Not in a traditional sense. He's a primary ball handler.

There seem to be a few issues: 1) the Kings starting games slowly; 2) lack of interior D, and 3) the SF position.

As best as I can tell, the Kings have a tendency to start games slowly primarily because of two players - WCS and Fox. I would not want to take Fox out of the starting lineup because he is the most talented player on the Kings, age 20, and you need to let him figure it out. On the other hand, WCS is 25 years old and in his fourth year and should have figured it out by now. He has a tendency to not play hard and tough until his back is up against the wall. Bagley, Giles and Koufos don't seem to have a problem with starting the game strong. I would start Bagley and play him about the same number of minutes; he's played 33, 30 and 27 minutes respectively in the last three games (and was injured in 2nd half of last game). It seems to me that Bagley, though rough around the edges, gives you everything WCS has plus more. He would compliment Bjelica nicely and Shump and Fox and Hield, who I think should start. I wouldn't just play Bagley at center, however. During the course of the game, I might switch him over to the pf position.

Because I think WCS plays better with his back up against the wall, coming off the bench might be exactly what he needs. If Joerger tells him he's making the lineup change because he needs consistent effort on the defensive end of the floor and that he think Bagley gives him more of that than WCS, then Willie might get the message and actually try to block some shots and play D on a more consistent basis with his fewer minutes.

A search party should be organized to find Koufos and give the guy some decent minutes at the expense of WCS. If WCS slacks on defense for a minute, then in goes Koufos. Koufos IS tough. He DOES rebound. He DOES set good screens. And he IS consistent. I would also award Giles with more minutes at the forward position. He's earned some more minutes with his recent performance, both because of his offense and his defense.

I would also have Bogs come off the bench. He'll get plenty of minutes swinging behind both Hield and Shumpert. And I like that he can sit on the bench a while and Dr. Bogs can diagnose the court a while before coming into the game. I like him playing with WCS, as he's good with him offensively on the pick and roll, and hopefully he can be the on-the-court coach to get the guy to put out the consistent effort.

To really solve the SF issue, there needs to be a trade or off-season FA move, imo.
I would keep WCS in starting lineup while negotiating Wizzards to take him as a starting quality center in a trade for OP. Other than that, I agree with your take.

Consider that Bogi was our backup PG last night. Not Mason or Yogi. Bogi was playing well, which is why Fox didn't get back in the game for a long time.

Joerger doesn't consider Bogi a SF either as a starter or off the bench. Not in a traditional sense. He's a primary ball handler.
I would play B88 or BB8 a few backup SF minutes based on matchup.

You know my opinion of the starting frontcourt: it’s 14 feet of inconsistent motor/bad defensive paint presence. I’d make a trade and start one of the kids. Not a fan of WCS/Beli

If BOgi isn’t starting at SF I’d start Jackson at this point ahead of Iman

After ten plus years of struggling to win 30 games, the Kings are a legit .500 team.
Now is not the time to start messing around with success.
It takes some time to figure out the best combinations on the floor though. That means small tweaks in the rotations, not major shakeups.
Yogi over Mason for instance.
The 3 is being played by a committee of Bogdan, Iman, and JJ. It depends on matchups and who is ready to go.
Bjelica has been a pleasant surprise to me. His offense is a little inconsistent, but he rebounds and plays defense better than I thought he would.
The Kings are a solid team when they are healthy.
For the first time in a long time, I look forward to seeing players coming off the bench, especially Bagley, Giles and Yogi.

dude12

Hall of Famer
When the Kings are at full strength, they seem to be strong and I think Joerger mixes and matches guys well and plays the hot hands at the right times.

Taking Shump for an example, when his shot is going, he plays more. If there is a matchup nightmare on the wing, you see Shump.

When we are missing pieces due to injury....Bagley and Shump....it really limited Joerger in the moves he had at his disposal.

When the Kings are at full strength, they seem to be strong and I think Joerger mixes and matches guys well and plays the hot hands at the right times.

Taking Shump for an example, when his shot is going, he plays more. If there is a matchup nightmare on the wing, you see Shump.

When we are missing pieces due to injury....Bagley and Shump....it really limited Joerger in the moves he had at his disposal.
The Kings roster is lacking in the types of switchable players (2/3's and 3/4's with size and athleticism) that many other teams have. When he has everyone, Joerger can cover up some of the deficiencies. When one or two guys are out, we very quickly see some ugly matchups.

Subtle obversvation but completely agree. Not having those guys has a cascade effect down the lineup and your depth takes a hit all the way down. But Bagley in particular... Giles seems to actually play BETTER with Bagley on the court next to him. And, now that Giles and Jackson are up and running as legit NBA players now, and Yogi being solid, we really do have pretty amazing depth 1-11, bench being Yogi, Bogi, Jackson, Bagley, Giles, Koufos. That not only allows options but allows us to run run run and spread minutes out.

The 4-8 record over the past 12 games is due to (1) a brutal stretch of games against top teams in the west, (2) injuries to MBIII and to a lesser extent Shump, (3) blowing a couple games that either they “should” have won (suns), or had a great opportunity slip through their fingers (Portland, Denver, warriors, lakers games). A couple of those things swing the other way and they are 6-6 with a lot of successful at a difficult point in the schedule. I would love to watch more of the you g guys because they are fun, but I think minutes will naturally start to shift to Marvin and Harry. I trust that coach has a better pulse of how to get there with the young guys than I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.