Thoughts on Smart.... from a Warriors forum

gunks

Hall of Famer
Just for yuks, I found an old thread with Warriors fans discussing Smart as HC.

Interesting to go over, seeing as how he gets to be the next unlucky feller dealing with the mess that is our Sacramento Kings.

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1107556

Especially interesting read because we have takes on how Smart is at developing players (as that Warriors team he coached was pretty young). Seems like the opinions on that aspect of his coaching are mixed...Which I guess is a step up from Westphal, considering everyone here was generally of the same opinion that he stunk at developing our youngsters.

Last edited:
Just for yuks, I found an old thread with Warriors fans discussing Smart as HC.

Interesting to go over, seeing as how he gets to be the next unlucky feller dealing with the mess that is our Sacramento Kings.

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1107556

Especially interesting read because we have takes on how Smart is at developing players (as that Warriors team he coached was pretty young). Seems like the opinions on that aspect of his coaching are mixed...Which I guess is a step up from Westphal, considering everyone here was generally of the same opinion that he stunk at developing our youngsters.
I also think that Smart has room to grow in this area. Westphal did not, or at least seemed unwilling to.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
From living in Warrior land, I can tell you he coaches defense, tries to hold guys responsible on that end, and runs a more structured offense than Westy did. Appeared to me when with GS, he had the respect of all his players, and they wanted to play for him.

He did have a few funky rotations however. Those were based around Curry's lack of defense, which I don't see as a problem with Reke if he gets after it, but could get Jimmer and Thornton yanked from time to time. The other was Biedrens, who simply played lack crap, and doesn't have 1/20th the skill of Cousins. Don't see that being a problem.

Actually think Donte stands to benefit from this coaching move. I'd expect more aggressive defense from everyone, and better pick & roll defense.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Main difference between Smart and Paul is that Keith is young and has room to grow as a coach (and by all accounts was a hotter commodity in the NBa that one would think) whereas Westphal really was what he was with little chance of being something else.

Thought I would post this tweet from earlier today:

ZachLowe_SIZach Lowe

Keith Smart could talk to you for hours about defensive positioning. He will push the Kings guards, every day, to learn the right technique