Thompson looking to crash the boards

gunks

Hall of Famer
http://www.realgm.net/src_wiretap_archives/54778/20081008/kings_thompson_anxious_to_start_season/

"I only had four rebounds. I should have had more than that. I'm kind of hard on myself. I still have work to do. But I must have done something right," Thompson said.

Its debatable if this article is really worthy of a thread. If it isnt then this one will die out haha.

BUT....

I really really like that we have a guy who's getting down on himself about lack of rebounds instead of lack of points scored (very Rodman-esque, not that I'm saying JT will ever average 18rpg). I feel that's a mindset that has been missing on the Kings for some time now.

I mean, we havent had a guy average 10+ in rebounds since C-Webb.

JT's got the size, skills, and heart. If he could put it all together we might have ourselves a double-double guy again.

I really really like that we have a guy who's getting down on himself about lack of rebounds instead of lack of points scored
And he still said that, even though he was playing against some frighteningly good young bigs.

He's wasn't my dream come true as a draft pick, but it was the first time in a few years that I didn't swear when the pick was announced, and I'm staying cautiously optimistic. He's no spring chicken as rookies go, so Reggie needs to get moving on developing the guy as quickly as is realistically possible. It's not as if we had any better PFs to play ahead of him, anyway.

Are you listening, Reggie?

Man... Jason looked really good the other night.. I will agree with him that he should have gotten a few more boards , but I think he has ALOT of potential to be a very good player to average 20ppg and 10rbg... I was very suprised how fast he could get up the court.. I hope he gets alot of PT this year..

I wish spencer "cant guard a a parked car" Hawes would say something like this. He would probably just come out and mention how his jumper should have more arc or something.:rolleyes:

I wish spencer "cant guard a a parked car" Hawes would say something like this. He would probably just come out and mention how his jumper should have more arc or something.:rolleyes:

LOL I could not agree more with that quote.. Spencer is really really lettin me down.. Why was he out on the perminter with our guards??? He should be in the paint guarding whatever center/PF is on the floor!

Entity

Hall of Famer
My biggest question about the quote from Jason is not his rebounds and how hard he is on himself. its this "I must have done something right" What did he mean by that. Did Reggie praise him? or promise him something? Just wondering where he got that from?

gunks

Hall of Famer
Maybe it was the minutes he got despite all the fouling?

I dunno...I was wondering about that too. But it was the bit about the rebounding that stood out in the quotes.

What can I say...I'm hyped about the rookie

This kind of reminds me of when Francisco Garcia said he will be an All-Star. Which he probably won't especially in this conference but it really showed the all that determination within him. But I like this one better hehe. I guess it's cause it's the whole I did this wrong so I gotta improve it type of quote. I'm a sucker for those.

Thompson was active... he messed up a lot of the blazer's plays and did a lot of little things that give me the impression that Jason Thompson should be taking some significant PT from Mikki Moore at the PF...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
One of the problems of linking to realGM is that it's often misleading about where things originate. Just to set the record straight, this "article" was from Hoopsworld.

If he indeed he said this in his first game in the NBA, I think he is worth developing by the Kings. It shows that he knows what he is expected to do and he's got the desire to do it which is very much the opposite of Hawes perspective in playing.

gunks

Hall of Famer
One of the problems of linking to realGM is that it's often misleading about where things originate. Just to set the record straight, this "article" was from Hoopsworld.

It's not like its a trade rumor or anything...Just a quote. So relax VF.

And an interesting one at that. I am well aware of how iffy a site Hoopsworld is. But it's not like this is some huge insubstantiated thing. Just a quote that I found, and though others might find, interesting.

Thompson is a warrior. I like how he has been working on different areas of his game all season long. He's very serious about his future and actually backs what he says by what he does on the court. Kid's got a very bright future.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It's not like its a trade rumor or anything...Just a quote. So relax VF.

And an interesting one at that. I am well aware of how iffy a site Hoopsworld is. But it's not like this is some huge insubstantiated thing. Just a quote that I found, and though others might find, interesting.
I couldn't possibly care less about whether or not it's a rumor, unsubstantiated or otherwise. The point is that credit should be given where it is due, and to the proper source. I was simply clarifying that the article, while posted on realGM, was initiated at Hoopsworld.

:)