The MMA thread

That was sad to see. Even if I don't like the fighters, it's always sad to see the people you think are invincible end up looking human. First Fedor, then Anderson and now Ronda.

People don't realize how important fighters like this are to the sport. Everyone roots for them to lose but in the end everyone loses because Holm vs. the rest of the division gets just about no one excited. Heavyweight boxing after Tyson still hasn't recovered.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Message just posted by Rousey on Instagram:

I just wanted to thank everyone for the love and support. I appreciate the concerns about my health, but I'm fine. As I had mentioned before, I'm going to take a little time, but I'll be back.

K

KingMilz

That was sad to see. Even if I don't like the fighters, it's always sad to see the people you think are invincible end up looking human. First Fedor, then Anderson and now Ronda.

People don't realize how important fighters like this are to the sport. Everyone roots for them to lose but in the end everyone loses because Holm vs. the rest of the division gets just about no one excited. Heavyweight boxing after Tyson still hasn't recovered.
But that to me is also the best thing about fighting and that's what makes fighting probably the most exciting sport in the world. In fighting you are literally only as good as your last fight and it's great when someone just comes along and stomps someone that's supposedly invincible. The difference between Ronda and those other fighters your said is Ronda was way more hype over performance than those other two guys who proved it over the course of like 10+ years against way better competition. This was the first time Rondo ever went up against another killer and sadly her technique/game planning really let her down.

Fedor/Anderson lost due to old age/being past there prime, maybe Ronda can do a GSP (post Matt Serra) and comeback and dominate but it remains to be seen because GSP lost to a single big shot while he was winning and Ronda got completely outclassed.

But that to me is also the best thing about fighting and that's what makes fighting probably the most exciting sport in the world. In fighting you are literally only as good as your last fight and it's great when someone just comes along and stomps someone that's supposedly invincible. The difference between Ronda and those other fighters your said is Ronda was way more hype over performance than those other two guys who proved it over the course of like 10+ years against way better competition. This was the first time Rondo ever went up against another killer and sadly her technique/game planning really let her down.

Fedor/Anderson lost due to old age/being past there prime, maybe Ronda can do a GSP (post Matt Serra) and comeback and dominate but it remains to be seen because GSP lost to a single big shot while he was winning and Ronda got completely outclassed.
It's just not good for the sport as a whole since it's still growing. Rondo puts butts in the seats and gets people to shell out money for PPV's. No one is going to care about Holm vs. Tate or whoever it might be. Ronda was hyped it up to the max but you can't act like she didn't back it up. Finishing those girls in 15 seconds and winning via KO and liver shot. She might have been over hyped but she deserved to be hyped up quite a bit.

She went in with a terrible game plan and let her ego get the best of her. If Ronda fought like she did in her early UFC fights, Holm is probably tapping due to an arm bar. Instead she tried to beat one of the best female stand up fighters at her own game and it didn't work. Terrible game planning by her and her team.

I watched the fight again and it was actually closer than I remember it the first time around. Ronda tagged Holm quite a few times. I mean obviously Holm tagged her a lot more but the first round wasn't as lopsided as I originally thought. I think if she comes back with a better game plan and goes to her bread and butter, she'll be champ again.

Ronda was becoming everything she was supposed to be different from. I'm really glad to see her get knocked down a few pegs and hopefully it leads to her reaching her full potential in and out of the cage.

I do think UFC is going to come out just fine on this because the rematch will make big money and maybe we'll see even bigger fights after that.

Not surprising one bit if you follow the sport. I like Mousasi's comments after Kobe Bryant gave a speech at the UFC's big get together they had a few weeks ago. Said something like most of us are making 20k a fight and they have Kobe up there telling us how to correctly invest our millions. Only a small handful of these fighters make "sports" money.

Drugs or no drugs Jon Jones is easily the MMA GOAT, you can't teach all the little tricky stuff he does, ability to roll/take hits and have a complete all-around game dude is just to much for anyone. Gus is easily his hardest style wise fight and he just trashed him., Jones grappling is elite his stand up is as crafty as it gets the man is way ahead of his time.

If the HW divison were not so pathetic I would say he should move up but really he would only probably do it to completely try destroy DC's legacy, other than that there is zero elite level fighters @HW it's a bunch of old men way past their primes and 1 trick pony fighters. It's quiet sad to think 10 years ago the HW divison is better than it is currently complete lack of talent coming through in the higher weight classes (including 205).

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Jon Jones is an interesting bellwether for me: maybe it's because I came to the whole UFC thing relatively late, but I don't see Jones as the MMA GOAT. I only see him as a drug cheat, trash human being, who is the kind of person who will hit-and-run, and drive while intoxicated. I don't have the ability to compartmentalize Jon Jones enough to divorce my mind from those things while he's fighting, so I lack the ability to appreciate his fighting on its own merit.

So, as with other 'problematic faves,' whenever Jones comes up, I find myself looking to see who is 'divorcing the art from the artist,' and for whom the behavior of the artist is a 'feature, not a bug.'

SLAB

Hall of Famer
More than you hate the drug cheat POS? Alright, then.
Yeah, reading that back it’s kind of horrible.

Idk, I’ve watched Jones since his second UFC fight, when he was 8-0... he was one of the main guys who got me into the sport more than just a casual viewer. (Along with Urijah Faber)