The MMA thread

SLAB

Hall of Famer
RAMPAGE was owned tonight...

I was 100% on the RAMPAGE first round(for sure) KO knockout of the night bandwagon!

Congrats, Suga!

Kind of a dull main event until the 3rd round. One of those nights where most of the guys I liked lost. Oh well.

Sanchez has been sponsored by the Maloofs for some time now.

no upcoming fights in June that are of interest other than:

-cro cop v barry at ufc 115
-lawler v babalu at strikeforce L.A.
-Fedor v Werdum at strikeforce san jose
-cung le v scott smith at strikeforce san jose

Yea, it was a bad night for me. Every fighter I was pulling for lost.

Started off with Dan Lauzon (Who grew up 20 minutes from me) losing to Efrain .. Then Sanchez lost, Rampage lost, Bisping won ... Im just glad lil Nog won, even though I dont think he deserved that decsion.

Yea, it was a bad night for me. Every fighter I was pulling for lost.

Started off with Dan Lauzon (Who grew up 20 minutes from me) losing to Efrain .. Then Sanchez lost, Rampage lost, Bisping won ... Im just glad lil Nog won, even though I dont think he deserved that decsion.
Wow, Nog won after? I only saw the first 2 rounds, and I thought he lost both of those..

Rampage got his butt kicked last night. It's too bad because there was so much anticipation leading up to that fight. But as much as I hate to admit it, I seen it coming. He hadn't faught in 14 months, and him starring in a movie had to be a distraction for em. He was VERY close to ending it all in the middle of the 3rd though, so nice to see a little heart from him after losing the first 2 rounds

Wow, Nog won after? I only saw the first 2 rounds, and I thought he lost both of those..

Rampage got his butt kicked last night. It's too bad because there was so much anticipation leading up to that fight. But as much as I hate to admit it, I seen it coming. He hadn't faught in 14 months, and him starring in a movie had to be a distraction for em. He was VERY close to ending it all in the middle of the 3rd though, so nice to see a little heart from him after losing the first 2 rounds

Yah, I would say Nog won the last round, but lost the first two easily .. I dont know how the judges gave it to him but they did.

I just like Rampage. I dont know what it is about him.. but your right, I kinda saw this coming. Evans is just too fast and his conditioning is better than Rampage could ever work for. I think they said rampage came into camp at 250lbs and had to drop to 205. Thats tough .. I wonder if Rampage really wants to do this anymore .. its going to take more dedication than that to win a fight against a guy as good as Evans.

Never would have guessed the fight ending that way. Even though I wanted Lesnar to get beat I gotta give props to Rosenthal for not stopping the fight when some other refs would have. Impressive first round by Carwin but he gassed himself out going for the kill.

I cant remember the last time a sporting event made me to happy - maybe when the red sox won the world series, but tonight was awesome. Huge props to Brock from a big time Brock fan .. I cant believe he came back from the first round.

Good god, could have been the last we saw of Silva for a while and Chael slips up and gets caught in a triangle after dominating for 4.5 rounds. Damn.

I've only started following MMA the last couple of months so it's weird that I'm the one bumping this thread after 5 weeks, but did anyone catch Charles Oliveira last night? That kid is sick! Two appearances in the Octagon and both of them won on highlight-reel subs.

Brock lost the fight, but he won the big breakdancing contest and saved the community center from being turned into a shopping mall.

Does anyone here watch MMA? We have threads for a lot of other sports here but none for MMA, which seems strange.

I was devastated to hear that Jones is out of UFC178, but it's still a stacked card. Can't wait for my fellow Irishman, McGregor, to take out Poirier. Will be his biggest test to date. Even without Jones/Cormier, it's still a very good card, though the new main event really sucks.

Wish the cards weren't so watered down these days. I'm pretty excited about this card as well but it's sad that 4 years ago this entire card is one big prelim outside of Dom Cruz. Should be a lot of exciting fights on this one but I don't think it will do well at all on PPV since there's no real star power.

Agreed. Cards are far more diluted now than they once were. This card, before the Jones injury, would have been a throwback. Still should be a good card but won't sell as well as it would have, with Johnson/Cariaso as the replacement.

I watch. Slightly prefer boxing, but I enjoy MMA.
I used to be the same. I always prefered boxing, it took me a long time but now I'm more of a fan of MMA. Boxing just continues to shoot itself in the foot with corruption and all of it's other problems. I still enjoy it a lot, but it's so disheartening and anti-climatic that a lot of the top guys just won't fight each other. I hope MMA never goes that way, and I don't think it will.

I alternate back and forth. But I guess I just like that boxing is what it is after all this time. It's more fun to compare eras/hypothethize boxing to me. Like they put Bruce Lee in the newest UFC game which to me is just silly. But a battle of the Sugars or Ali vs. Tyson are the kind of things that boxing lends itself to the imagination. Whereas in MMA the GOAT is largely the guy that is currently champ. I mean I'd pick Jon Jones to destroy any LHW champ that preceded him.

Like I said my preference is slight, I probably wouldn't have brought it up if not for Glenn's failed attempt at a boxing discussion. I'm hardly partisan to one or the other.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Hah!

Seeing this thread here, right now, is so ****ing funny to me: I've spent most of the day involved in a fairly contentious discussion on the wrestling board I hang out at, because Ronda Rousey and the Four Horsewomen were in attendance at Summerslam, and were photographed backstage while Stephanie McMahon was doing the Ice Bucket Challenge. But, since I'd never seen Rousey a) with her hair down, or b) smiling before, and I'd never seen the other Four Horsewomen at all, I asked who they were... I think my exact words may have been, "Who are those four chickenheads behind Stephanie?"

This led to an avalanche of MMA mutants demanding to know how it is that I can list off nearly all twelve WNBA rosters from memory, but I don't know who Ronda Rousey is, along with the self-proclaimed "casual" fans, who stated that they don't follow MMA that closely, but they "go outside," as if everyone has a billboard of Ronda Rousey in their front yard, or something. There were also a handful of guys who were openly mocking me, but I'm cool with that.

For the record, I know who Ronda Rousey is. I've seen Ronda Rousey fight. But I've only seen Ronda Rousey fight. I haven't seen her at weigh-ins, or at pre-fight press conferences, or in sit-down interviews, or on The Ultimate Fighter (I remember it being a big deal when she was on the show, but I'm not sure that my cable package even had the channel it came on and, as I've since switched providers, I can't even check), or at the ESPY's, or anywhere else where the opportunity to see her in a relaxed setting, in casual clothes, could have possibly come up. She actually kind of looks like Julia Stiles and, when I first saw the picture, that's who I thought it was, but I couldn't figure out what Julia Stiles would be doing at Summerslam.

LOL. I don't know who the Four Horsewomen are either. I know Ronda and a few of the other big women fighters but I just don't really care to watch women fight.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
And see, I'm practically the opposite: I almost exclusively want to watch women fight. I just don't follow the sport closely enough that I would recognize any of the fighters outside the ring.

Best card in a long, long time on tonight, even without Jones/Cormier. I'm worried about McGregor, even if I do think he will win. Poirier is no joke.

Irish takeover, my friends. Pendred (who will never win a UFC title, even though I love him), McGregor (who has the talent and potential to win a title but may come up short), Holohan, Seery, James Gallagher (this kid is like 17/18 and has dedicated his life to MMA, keep an eye out for him in five years), and many others. All down to a revolutionary named John Kavanagh who literally took it upon himself to get a blackbelt when no one else did. He was way ahead of the game and gave up a lucrative career in maths/engineering to pursue a (at the time) career which would bear no fruit. For anyone curious, he's a very interesting google.

He brought MMA to the forefront of Irish media. It's irrelevant to most of you guys because the US has been dominant in wrestling and fighting for years, but this guy will go down as one of the best teachers in history, mark my words.

Here's to hoping for a McGregor win tonight.