The MMA thread

I thought he was going to snap his arm. GSP's take downs are insane - I say that every time he fights but he's 100% and most of them haven't even required more than the first move.

I decided to make a rare trip out to a sports bar to catch this one. I was definitely rooting for Hardy. The only this Hardy did that was impressive was not tap out and endured what im sure was excruciating pain. There was literally zero offense from Hardy.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
UFC112 in Abu Dhabi. Potential spoilers as I don't know what the replay schedule is, or if people will be watching it for the first time tonight instead of live at 11 in the morning.

-Frankie Edgar beats Penn!!! I don't like Penn. Something about him just rubs me the wrong way. It was a match that was to close to call but BJ didn't do much. Though I liked hearing the score, the judge who scored it 50-45 needs to be cut from the judging panel. He should get an immediate rematch, I think.
*Edit*
Do a Florian/Penn number 1 contenders rematch for a shot at Edgar. The ex-champ shouldn't have a rematch when he lost, even if it was such a close fight.

-Anderson Silva is on another planet, talent wise. BUT, he is a classless jerk. His antics with Maia made me laugh at first, but then it just got annoying as the first round ended. Then about halfway through the fight he quit doing anything except circle Maia and nothing happened the rest of the fight. I really wish Maia could have caught him, and if the GSP/Silva superfight happens I hope GSP pounds his face in. After listening to a Dana post show interview, he of course is pretty damned pissed at Silva.

-On a less important note, Gracie/Hughes was painful to watch.

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Dana White on Silva below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2wlP_Vj3W0&feature=player_embedded

Not a happy Dana.

(paraphrase)
Interviewer: There are fans that have two names for Anderson Silva. GSP and Brock Lesnar. Do either of these fights interest you?

Dana: Anderson doesn't interest me right now. The only thing that I care about right now is me going back and having my conversation that I want to have with him...

Last edited:
The funny thing is that this is all Dana's fault.
What the hell...? I absolutely despise Dana White but this is not his fault. It's not his fault that Silva is miles away better than anybody, and Dana has put everybody in front of him. This is the fault of one absolute dickface of a fighter who embarrassed his coaches, the sport and his every single fan who showed up or paid for the event. He should have ended the fight, pocketed his money and and gone home. Instead he freaking danced for 20 minutes. It was embarrassing to watch and I personally know 10 amateur fighters who would kill to have his spot in the ring. Pompeous **** will get whats coming to him, and I just hope sooner rather than later.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Pompeous **** will get whats coming to him, and I just hope sooner rather than later.
Word.

I want to see him move to the HW division to have his face smashed in by Lesnar. Or Carwin. Or Dos Santos. Or Cain. Or Nog. Or Mir. Yes, even Frank F. Mir.

From mmatorch.com

Anderson Silva said:
"This is a sport; not a fight, just a sport.” - "Demian did not respect me in the fight." - “I came here well prepared and Maia disrespected me. I came here to hurt him and punish him and that is what I did.” - "I am not too sure what school Demian came from but I think that he disrespected me morally." - “I am sending a message to all fighters that if you disrespect me before that fight I will destroy you.” - "My goal was to finish the fight, but I also wanted to make my opponent very vulnerable to everything that I did and have him guessing. We showed respect to each other and I enjoyed it." - "I have 3 fights left on my contract, as long as I like to compete and can do so, I will be at the UFC.”
That pushed me over the edge.
F Anderson.

I want to see him get served by anyone.

Word.

I want to see him move to the HW division to have his face smashed in by Lesnar. Or Carwin. Or Dos Santos. Or Cain. Or Nog. Or Mir. Yes, even Frank F. Mir.

From mmatorch.com

That pushed me over the edge.
F Anderson.

I want to see him get served by anyone.
I'm with ya, but he has no equal in his division, and he would have a hell of an excuse if he moved up to face Carwin, Lesnar, or to a lesser extent, Mir. All those guys have a ton of muscle weight on him, and all have a puncher's chance that fighters in his division don't. It would be like when Penn moved up to face GSP and got rocked, they were all giving him a free pass due to the weight jump and the fact he was outclassed.

What the hell...? I absolutely despise Dana White but this is not his fault. It's not his fault that Silva is miles away better than anybody, and Dana has put everybody in front of him. This is the fault of one absolute dickface of a fighter who embarrassed his coaches, the sport and his every single fan who showed up or paid for the event. He should have ended the fight, pocketed his money and and gone home. Instead he freaking danced for 20 minutes. It was embarrassing to watch and I personally know 10 amateur fighters who would kill to have his spot in the ring. Pompeous **** will get whats coming to him, and I just hope sooner rather than later.
Until yesterday Dana had some kind of hard on for Silva no matter how badly he turned the fans off and booked around Silva's demands. He didn't want to fight Hendo again even though he won the alleged #1 qualifier match and now a highly popular American fighter is competing in Strikeforce as a result. He claimed he wanted to move up but wouldn't fight Machida, a fight people wanted to see and Dana didn't push it. So yeah, there's no good fights for him, he has the belt and now he's being a jerk. Dana definitely built up the monster and now its a major problem.

Well once again Urijah shows his heart despite being pretty much done after Rd. 2.

Aldo asks fans from Sacramento to adopt him as it is his home away from home. Playing to the crowd or???

Last edited:
Well this loss was kind of expected, Aldo is probably the better fighter, I don't really think Brown is. It is a bit frustrating to see them drag out when you know he can't win though. I was a little surprised they didn't make him fight a few more fights before another title fight but I guess if they want a PPV they gotta have big names.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Just got back from the show, and other than the Faber downer, it was a night of mostly fun and exciting fights.

The Korean Zombie and Leonard Garcia was insane to watch live. The crowd was wild, and they kept at it almost the entire fight. Best part was in round two (I think) and Jung was throwing and connecting bombs that knocked Garcia's mouthpiece out, and Garcia is taking them. With a SMILE on his face! Wild wild wild fight.

Demetrious Johnson and Brad Pickett was also a fun brawl. While not as crazy as Garcia/Jung, it was awesome to see someone get thrown around the cage with such force. Also funny, when Pickett entered he came out to en incredibly hokey country song and had suspenders over his shirt.

Best non-fight moment of the night. Dana White with a giant 'take this' smile on his face, arm around StrikeForce Champ/Free agent Jake Shields, points at him and mouths 'He's Mine!'

100% expected to see Brown plow through Gamburyan. Surprise moment of the night.

Im happy Henderson retained. In dominating form. When are they gonna get the WEC (more on that later) lightweights up with the UFC lightweights? They're all 155, Why not see where a Henderson matches up with Frankie Edgar.

And sadly...The hometown boy couldn't take Aldo. But he lasted through all five (didn't expect it, personally). He survived. What's next for Aldo? He's 23 and he is dominating the featherweight division. Head and shoulder's above. Move to lightweight after a few more defenses. He's really good. He may have beaten Faber, but I look forward to his future. And he asked for us to adopt him as our own. If he doesn't do that in the next three cities, I say yes.

And speaking of WEC. There was NOTHING in-ring, on banners, on signs, on gloves that said WEC. It was being promoted exclusively as Aldo Vs. Faber, and the only time we saw WEC was on the title belts, and a video that Im sure was made much in advance. It may be nothing, but with the whole UFC crew doing the show on the very first PPV it made me wonder whats up.

And speaking of WEC. There was NOTHING in-ring, on banners, on signs, on gloves that said WEC. It was being promoted exclusively as Aldo Vs. Faber, and the only time we saw WEC was on the title belts, and a video that Im sure was made much in advance. It may be nothing, but with the whole UFC crew doing the show on the very first PPV it made me wonder whats up.
Dana is going to kill the WEC once the Vs. contract is up.

Thanks Carmichael Dave, but enough of the MMA crap on your show. How about doing a real sports show! I can't listen to another dumb *** MMAer trying to do an interview and dropping F bombs.

Thanks Carmichael Dave, but enough of the MMA crap on your show. How about doing a real sports show! I can't listen to another dumb *** MMAer trying to do an interview and dropping F bombs.
Cosigned, I liked the show better 2-3 years ago when it was more about basketball. Now I very rarely listen and getting all the MMA updates on twitter is annoying.

Regarding MMA: It seems like little more than a passing fad, and Favor looks to be fading fast. Sure some people get off on it but they're mostly pimple faced teen boys. Grow up Carmichael Dave, you're no longer some 16-year-old calling in to KHTK for kicks. Show more awarness of your radio audience - what audience you actually have. The MMA fetish is simply boring beyond belief! Also, I thought your interview with the mayor was a tad amaterish with all the shucks and jives at the beginning. Then again, maybe you don't want to be taken seriously. Or maybe your auditioning to be some kind of Howard Stern of sports radio:eek:

I seldom switch off KHTK. But when it is this MMA mutual admiration society stuff... I queue the music.

I don't want to name names, but the guy running that talk show seems to be in serious man love with Faber - the show is gross. It needs to be "sports talk for callers, by callers". I feel sad that Faber got so outclassed in the fight, because I like him. But sometimes I feel there ought to be an "orientation check" after a half hour of listening to UF and CD dish about how much salt should be in their diet and whether CD can have a prettier body if he eats less beef jerky.

Damn meat heads. MMA and UFC suck! It's not better than boxing. The only reason people like watching the fights is to see some crazy knock outs. Well give boxers 3 or 4 ounce gloves and see how many knockouts there will be. It's a stupid phase that will die out soon. Not to mention how many fights end up being dominated by submission holds. Boring!

Enough MMA bashing already. If you don't like it, don't watch, but its not a fad or a phase at this point. It was a freakshow in the 90s that has evolved into a true sport with strict rules and regulations and mainstream participation (yes, I know people in their 40s who train and who have highly respected professional careers). I'll agree that boxing still attracts better athletes but that's because that is where the money is but somewhere down the road I won't be surprised to see things reversed.

Passing fad? MMA has been going on since the mid 90's and is the fastest growing sport in the world.Sorry for all you boxing lovers, but that's a dying sport ...move way you old fogies....there's a new sheriff in town...