The old barn.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Any updates on what's going on with the old barn? Would hate to see her collect dust for years on end.
I believe the old barn is not allowed to be used for events as terms of the construction of the G1C. My understanding was that once a taker was found for the old Arco land that it was going to be demolished. It doesn't appear that there are any takers yet, unfortunately.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Wasn't it used recently for a high school playoff or something? I know there was something held there recently, as they showed the parking lot ... and weeds.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So...it appears the Bighorns (new name to come) will be using the practice facility at Arco (according to Koz and crew on the pre-game). I've been inside that facility. It's beautiful. Just seems like the Kings are doing the little things that may all combine to be the BIG thing. Now if Vivek could just do something about bringing back the Monarchs.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Wasn't it used recently for a high school playoff or something? I know there was something held there recently, as they showed the parking lot ... and weeds.
I don't think recently. Wikipedia, at the least, believes the venue is closed:

The very last ticketed event at Sleep Train Arena was the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus on September 19, 2016. The circus also opened the arena back in 1988. The very last event (Non-ticketed) was Sacramento State's winter commencement ceremonies on December 17, 2016.

Due to a non-compete clause, ARCO (yes, ARCO!) can't host concerts, sporting events or conventions that could otherwise be hosted at G1C.

The last commercial event was September 2016.
The last event of any kind was Sac State's winter commencement ceremonies December 16th and 17th 2016.

However, there has been talk of ARCO being used as a temporary convention center during the 2 year expansion of the downtown convention center scheduled to begin in 2019. There are hurdles to overcome for that to happen, though, as the Kings would have to give their OK (they still own the property and building) and the city would have to vote to override the non-compete clause (which may have happened already).

Last edited: