Don't Make Me Use The Bat
It had to be done.
Because the month of January is the league's last, best chance to knock our playoff run askew, I originally had planned on holding off until the start of that wonderfully soft schedule patch beginning on Feb. 1 that I detailed in this thread: http://kingsfans.com/threads/the-turning-of-the-schedule-why-we-need-to-just-hang-on.66887/
But as I was canvassing the various sites and their Power Rankings (which I am sure that our Power Rankings Guru will soon collect for his weekly thread), it was clear that the secret was out, and everybody else was talking about us as the potential #8 seed. Seemed silly at that point for we who watch the team not to officially start doing the same.
The Standings as of Dec. 26th, before the 76ers game:
1) we have played the fewest home games in the Western Conference (and are tied with Boston for fewest in the NBA), and yet currently sit in the 8th spot anyway
2) we are coming off of a streak playing 12 of 15 games on the road(!)
3) tonight we embark on a streak playing 9 of 11 games at home, but a number of them are against great teams in early Jan.
4) you may note that 30 games into the season the 8 teams currently holding down the 8 playoff spots just so happen to be the 8 teams in the Conference with the best Point Differential, as, ahem, predicted in this point differential thread: http://kingsfans.com/threads/the-predictive-power-of-point-differential-kings-0-8.66868/ the 8 teams
5) its also worth noting that all 8 of the current playoff teams have +.500 records in their last 10, and none of the current lottery teams do (although Denver, who also BTW has the most threatening +/-, are .500 in their last 10). Hence in the last 10 games we've put distance between us and every bad team, but haven't made up any ground on teams above us.
6) and if you truly want to get ambitious, you might note that the next three teams above us in the standings have all been feasting at home to get those shiny records, while we've been battling on the road for ours:
MEM 19h 13a
OKC 18h 13a
UTH 17h 13a
SAC 12h 18a