***The Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread***NO TWITTER SPOILERS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The day we have all been waiting for has finally come. June 21, 2018 might be the day we are all gonna be looking back to in a couple of years and say that this is the day we have finally turned the franchise around, or that this is the day we have again missed out on a future HOF-Player. The pre draft process has been one of the most exciting, but also nerve wrecking, and sometimes frustrating times as a Kings fan in recent history.

I know we have all our favorites we are very enthusiastic about, but I encourage everybody, no matter who we pick, to give the player a chance to prove himself and to root for his success in the NBA. In the end I'd rather have the Kings select a player who is not high on my list, but will eventually end up being a franchise cornerstone, than the other way around.

Go Kings!!

MOD NOTE; PLEASE! This is about the most excitement we've had in a long time. NO SPOILERS. Wait until the announcement is made by Adam Silver. PLEASE!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Vlade Divac has done pretty well overall with his previous drafts.

Yet, the one thing that scares me is Vlade is the ultimate "I don't care what spot we are drafting in I want player X". It is not beyond reasonable expectation that Vlade takes somebody at 2 that he really likes that could be twenties.

There about two or three players that I'm perfectly comfortable with if we draft at number 2.

At first when I heard the rumors that the Kings might take someone other than Luka Duncic at 2, I was a little disgruntled. But the more I think about it, there is no one I trust more than Vlade and Peja combined to tell me if a European player is going to be a star or not.

Almost every projection early on had Doncic going #1-2. I dont buy any of the noise that Doncic might slip to #3-5 because in order for that to happen Doncic would had to have underwhelmed in a workout. Doncic hasn't worked out for anyone. One would have to believe that his stock fell after winning MVP of eurobasket.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Almost every projection early on had Doncic going #1-2. I dont buy any of the noise that Doncic might slip to #3-5 because in order for that to happen Doncic would had to have underwhelmed in a workout. Doncic hasn't worked out for anyone. One would have to believe that his stock fell after winning MVP of eurobasket.
Since the draft lottery he's:

Won the MVP award for the season in Euroleague.
Won the Euroleague championship.
Won the MVP award for the Euroleague Final Four.
Won the ACB Championship.

I don't see how he possibly could have improved his stock more. The only reason he's not projected at #2 right now is because of Givony's tweet that the Kings were low on him and are determined to pick an American big man instead. This of course is the team with a Serbian GM and Director of Player Personnel that already traded their 2016 top 10 pick for Bogdan Bogdanovic and then selected Georgios Papagiannis in the late lottery, that already used 4 first round picks on big men in the last 3 years and has the weakest SF rotation in the league. Oh yeah and we also have an Indian owner who's obsessed with globalizing his brand. Givony has recently made it known that he personally doesn't want Doncic going to Sacramento. So yeah, his take could not be any less credible at this point. Luka Doncic is overwhelmingly projected to be the best prospect in the draft by most draft experts and the only people who don't have him in the top 3 are the ones that think European prospects are inherently Inferior, full-stop. For us to pass on him would defy common sense. I'm not going to say that won't happen but to believe that anyone other than Doncic is the favorite to the Kings right now is to ignore a mountain of evidence all pointing that direction.

Last edited:
I think Vlade Divac has done pretty well overall with his previous drafts.

Yet, the one thing that scares me is Vlade is the ultimate "I don't care what spot we are drafting in I want player X". It is not beyond reasonable expectation that Vlade takes somebody at 2 that he really likes that could be twenties.
The Kings are notorious for bad draft picks with Vlade or without him.

There about two or three players that I'm perfectly comfortable with if we draft at number 2.

At first when I heard the rumors that the Kings might take someone other than Luka Duncic at 2, I was a little disgruntled. But the more I think about it, there is no one I trust more than Vlade and Peja combined to tell me if a European player is going to be a star or not.
It didn’t work too well with PapaG...

Hoping for Marvin, but will be happy with Luka or MPJ. I trust Vlade, especially now that he has a much better infrastructure in place, and will be fine as long as we don't trade way down or trade out of the draft.

The Kings front office have several players on their list that they would draft. I have my favorite, but so does everyone on this board. I really believe they won't screw this one up. And I will root for their choice to be our next ALL STAR.

GO KINGS !!!!!

It didn’t work too well with PapaG...
To be fair that was an awful draft and Luka is more available for evaluation seeing as he has a lot more relevant film.

Papa ran the floor well. Had great size. He was drafted for his physical attributes. I don’t think at the time Vlade was taking into account the league shift that endangers guys like Papa(Lukas game is perfect for today’s league). He was always seen as a project. Vlade saw a little bit of himself in Papa style most likely. There were signs of great finesse and touch. They likely saw he didn’t have the mentality or IQ to reach his potential or correct his terrible habits..so we ended it.

Looking back we didn’t miss out on much. A few players picked around that time are already out of the league or written off as far end of the bench talent. Which is remarkable considering it’s 2 years ago. Just a weak ass draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.