THE OFFCIAL: "Bring on the Don!" thread

piksi

Hall of Famer
We used to own Nelson and the Mavs. We owned them on "who is Your dady" level. If he was any good - he would still be Mavs coach.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If you're going to start an "OFFCIAL" thread, it should be mandatory that you spell "OFFICIAL" correctly. We do have an image to maintain, you know.

;)

And at this point having two threads to discuss Don Nelson in addition to the one in the recent past are about two threads too many.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
VF21 said:
If you're going to start an "OFFCIAL" thread, it should be mandatory that you spell "OFFICIAL" correctly. We do have an image to maintain, you know.

;)

And at this point having two threads to discuss Don Nelson in addition to the one in the recent past are about two threads too many.
We're talking about Don Nelson here! Does it really matter. ;)

S

SK23

I agree I do think we need a new start and a coach should be part of that new start. Rick Adelman just isn't into winning or teaching guys how to play defense anymore. You can look in his face and tell that he isn't serious winning with this team anymore ever since the whole Phil Jackson thing. Don Nelson may not be the best coach but he does have a winning record and may actually want to help this team out and be serious about winning.

SK23 said:
I agree I do think we need a new start and a coach should be part of that new start. Rick Adelman just isn't into winning or teaching guys how to play defense anymore. You can look in his face and tell that he isn't serious winning with this team anymore ever since the whole Phil Jackson thing. Don Nelson may not be the best coach but he does have a winning record and may actually want to help this team out and be serious about winning.
RA's winning record is considerably better than Don Nelson's.

S

SK23

kennadog said:
RA's winning record is considerably better than Don Nelson's.
Again i'm not talking about his record in the past when he had allstars and passers like Doug Peja Vlade and C-Webb. I'm strictly talking about this horrible year. I know this year we weren't expected to be a 60 plus winning team but 2 places away from last place is just inexcusable. Especially when your whole division sucks.

Gee, the whole past is only 1/2 a season ago! So, after all these years RA became a terrible caoch in a few months. And his record goes back waaaay past Webber, Vlade, et al.

S

SK23

KMart23 said:
do not bring on the Don. he's won a ton of regular season games but haven't done anything in the postseason
Well it doesn't have to be Don Nelson. I just want a new coach.

S

SK23

kennadog said:
Gee, the whole past is only 1/2 a season ago! So, after all these years RA became a terrible caoch in a few months. And his record goes back waaaay past Webber, Vlade, et al.
let me ask you a question. Do you want a coach that depends on his players outscoring the other team or do you want a coach who worships defense and forces his players to win with defense?

Thats stat lines don't lie.
16-5 when we score over 100 points. And quite frankly I would be happier knowing that my team will win without depending on scoring that many points. :rolleyes:

I want to win period. I don't really care about the details of how. This thread is about Don Nelson. I definitely do NOT want him. If you want a defensive-minded coach, then you can't possibly want Nelson either. Out of 16 years of coaching, RA's had 10 seasons over .600! Only 3 seasons under .500! The only current coaches with better career percentages are Riley, Popovich and Jackson. We aren't going to get any of them.

You're talking like Adelman is a horrible coach. I'm just saying that is a completely unfair assessment. He has weaknesses and strengths, like anyone, but he is not terrible by a long shot. I'd consider another coach, but its got to be a DEFINITE upgrade. Don Nelson is NOT.

EDIT: I bet a lot of teams win more often when they score over a 100 points.

S

SK23

kennadog said:
I want to win period. I don't really care about the details of how. This thread is about Don Nelson. I definitely do NOT want him. If you want a defensive-minded coach, then you can't possibly want Nelson either. Out of 16 years of coaching, RA's had 10 seasons over .600! Only 3 seasons under .500! The only current coaches with better career percentages are Riley, Popovich and Jackson. We aren't going to get any of them.

You're talking like Adelman is a horrible coach. I'm just saying that is a completely unfair assessment. He has weaknesses and strengths, like anyone, but he is not terrible by a long shot. I'd consider another coach, but its got to be a DEFINITE upgrade. Don Nelson is NOT.
Never said Adelman is a bad coach. Just isn't the right guy for this team anymore. And I'm not to excited about Don Nelson either. The only thing im worried is Adelman's weak roster rotations. He doesn't play a guy like Williamson or Skinner for decades and than decides to play them for a few minutes when we are losing. And everyone has seen the impact when those guys do get their minutes. They impact the game but I guess Adelman just doesn't realize that.

And their are a lot of teams that win without depending on scoring over 100. Ill name a few right off the back of my head: Utah, Indiana, Memphis, Hornets, Rockets...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen games where Williamson or Skinner have an impact. I've also seen games in which they had no perceptible impact. So its a coach's best guess as far as matchups and how some players will perform on a given night.

Last time I remember having a impact bench player you could count on almost every time it was BJax. Unfortunately he had 3 major injuries over 3 seasons. Maybe, just maybe, we are going to be able to depend on K-Mart off the bench at some point.

S

SK23

kennadog said:
I've seen games where Williamson or Skinner have an impact. I've also seen games in which they had no perceptible impact. So its a coach's best guess as far as matchups and how some players will perform on a given night.

Last time I remember having a impact bench player you could count on almost every time it was BJax. Unfortunately he had 3 major injuries over 3 seasons. Maybe, just maybe, we are going to be able to depend on K-Mart off the bench at some point.
K-Mart will start next year. Knowing the Maloofs they will not sign Bonzi Wells. I think K-Mart does deserve the starting spot because he plays so well when he starts.

I think Adelman is the right coach for this squad.

ONLY if Adelman refuses an extension, then I'm cool with Nelson as a last resort fallback. That is, IF Ron Ron says it is ok with him :)

SK23 said:
K-Mart will start next year. Knowing the Maloofs they will not sign Bonzi Wells. I think K-Mart does deserve the starting spot because he plays so well when he starts.
That could be. I've enjoyed watching his progress this year. If so, then we'll still need a dependable impact player off the bench.

Remember too the Mavs immediately improved when Avery Johnson took over as coach. So Don Nelson was not getting the most out of his talent.

It's like when Flip Saunders took over for Larry Brown in Detroit. Flip got the Pistons to take their level of play to higher plateau.

Don Nelson taking over for Rick Adelman is a lateral move, at best.

The biggest diffference between these two is Nelson has way less patience, so he would be yanking players in and out of the line-up, if they scew up and in his doghouse they get the immediate hook, and Nelson would do more experimenting with unconventional line-ups. This could lead to players griping over their roles when the team is not winning.

And he's too old. Is there any fire left in those old bones? Unless the Kings make a mad dash for the playoffs, or a real respectable finish to the season, Adleman is gone. But Don Nelson won't take his place.

SK23 said:
You are getting ahead of yourself.

And on what basis do you say the Maloofs do not want Bonzi back???

K-Mart has shown great strides with his poise, and has potential to start someday, but he has not proved that yet.

Show me one time he has gone head-to-head with an upper echelon guard like J-Rich, Ray Allen, Kobe, Manu Ginoubli, and gotten the better of it?

Or not even that, just played even with them? He has cowered more often than asserted himself. For a guard, he needs to show more dribbling and passing skills too.

I am not criticizing him, I want to see him continue to pile up points like he has lately, but he still has a lot to prove.

W

West_Gunslinger16

Too late to do that! Don was the best in offense. If he just handled Peja, Stojakovic would be a yearly all-star. Why would you bring up Don if the Kings were starting to be better since their ugly start?!?!

bench_blob said:
Remember too the Mavs immediately improved when Avery Johnson took over as coach. So Don Nelson was not getting the most out of his talent.
I don't think the Mavs would have necessarily done any worse with Nelson at the helm through the entire year last year than they did with Avery (losing to PHX in the second round of the playoffs). And let's not forget that the maturation of Josh Howard is a big reason for the Mavs' improvement. He was getting plenty of time with Nellie. Let's also not forget that Nelson was one of the main proponents of the big German, and that turned out pretty well for the Mavs...

bench_blob said:
It's like when Flip Saunders took over for Larry Brown in Detroit. Flip got the Pistons to take their level of play to higher plateau.
As the Indy Colts proved this year in the NFL (and the Supersonics proved in the NBA for a few years), regular season record does not exactly translate into postseason success --- let's not give Flip too much credit just yet as, last I checked, he doesn't have any rings, and he coached the most versatile player in the NBA for a few years with little true success and no championships to show for it.

bench_blob said:
Don Nelson taking over for Rick Adelman is a lateral move, at best.
Agreed --- both are coaches that have won a ton of games using offense as the main ingredient to their successes, and neither has won a championship as a coach. I think if Adelman can establish a good relationship with Ron Ron, then it benefits the Kings to keep him around. Nelson may be another coach that can get along well with Ron Ron, but I don't see his philosophy as being that much different from Adelman's from an offense vs. defense perspective.

SK23 said:
Gee, I'm so glad you have it all figured out. The look on Rick's face tells you that he doesn't want to win. That is the most obserd thing I have ever heard. :( So, do you know Rick personally? Tell me how you know he does not teach his team defense? Do you go to practice with the team? I can't believe you actually posted this.:eek: