The never-ending story of art at G1C (split)

http://www.docosacramento.com/gallery/jeff-koons-unveil-gallery/

And then they unveil this .................... uuuuuuuuuuuuugh. Why? The building is beautiful, no need for this.
I don't understand why some are bothered by a piece of art. If you are into things like that, it's just another cool thing to look at in the area. If you're not into it or just don't get it, it doesn't hurt your experience or ruin your day in the least.....

I don't understand why some are bothered by a piece of art. If you are into things like that, it's just another cool thing to look at in the area. If you're not into it or just don't get it, it doesn't hurt your experience or ruin your day in the least.....
I like art. Maybe it will be sort of like the arena, the arena looks better in the pictures than the artist's "conceptual" drawing. Maybe in person it will look better than the pictures. In the pictures, it looks cheap and gaudy.

In the city I work in, downtown is made largely up of red brick buildings. I'm not a fan of red brick but aesthetically there was beauty in the order and feel of it. Then the city put up this new building and spent a fortune on it. Let's just say it wasn't red brick and it doesn't fit. You take away the city, the building has "beauty" to it but you can't take away the city so there it sits sticking out like a sore thumb. Probably a poor analogy.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
There was some pretty extensive discussion on this forum about the Koons piece when it was first announced - many who objected to the piece of art were far more concerned about the *cost* of the piece, which was quite high. That side believed that the money spent on the Koons piece could have been spent on several pieces instead of a single piece, and that the several pieces could still have potentially more artistic merit/more relevance to the Sacramento area than the piece that we got for that price.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I object more to the whole concept of a bunch of otherwise intelligent people trying to convince themselves that that is something of great artistic merit because they are told they are supposed to and some idiot paid a bunch of money for it. No its not. And don't anybody dare be peer-pressured into thinking it is.

I object more to the whole concept of a bunch of otherwise intelligent people trying to convince themselves that that is something of great artistic merit because they are told they are supposed to and some idiot paid a bunch of money for it. No its not. And don't anybody dare be peer-pressured into thinking it is.
koons' work is divisive, to be sure, and whether or not it is of "great artistic merit" is certainly up for debate, but there is no doubt artistic merit in the piece worth examining. people around the globe have been marveling at the mona lisa for centuries. i think it's a wonderful painting, but when we boil it down to its essence, it's just a self-portrait, and a great many otherwise intelligent people have been trying to convince themselves that the mona lisa is something of great artistic merit because they are told they are supposed to. my point is, let's not pretend that simply because the koons' piece in front of G1C doesn't appeal to you or quite a few others at kf.com that it is undeserving of its place in front of the arena.

Lastly, regarding the art piece out front, my wife, step son, dad and I all thought it looked better than in the pictures we'd seen. The color is vibrant and changes as you walk around. I've been pretty indifferent about it, but after seeing it in person -- I thought it was kinda cool and provides something unique and identifiable to the area.
I'm glad someone has stated that it looks better in person than in the pictures. The pictures don't do it any favors at all.

OK then, I'm not the only one who thinks it looks cheap (wasn't) and gaudy.
I'll have to admit... I was pleasantly delighted by the selection of the Koons piece, but seeing it in person was a bit of a letdown. I was not impressed with the quality. For 8 million dollars... the finish on that thing better look nicer than a sports car. It doesn't. Almost looks a little scratched and not perfectly flat.

I like art, most of it, and the lovely G1C needs a featured outdoor art piece, and it has to be big, and it has to be colorful, and something like that is hard to make in your garage and is therefore not often made, and if GM could make lots of them in their factory we wouldn't acquire it because we want one-of-a-kind, so they aren't cheap, and you can't buy specifications at the store. So people that do make them are few and ask a lot of money for them. You don't have to buy that one but you do have to buy one. So you decide to buy a different one and guess what - you have to pay a lot of money for that. And guess what -it will displease just as many people as the first one. I like art and I don't have to like Koon's piece but I am happy it is there and I believe it will enhance the outside appearance of The Golden 1 Center for decades to come. Good job Ranadive.

Personally I like the large darts better than the Koons piece. I was hoping for a piece that would be a draw in itself, like "the bean" in chicago.
At fanfest, I saw lots of folks taking selfies in front of the Piglet, much like they do with the Bean. We'll see if starts drawing visitors outside of game/concert days.

I didn't get a good look at the darts, but I like the hanging sculpture over the stairs to the second level.

I took this picture today:

I think the colorful, reflective aesthetic will compliment the area nicely. My hope is that it will resonate with kids in a way that forms a lasting appeal as they grow up and help them feel connected to the area. Sure it isn't as strong a concept or image as Koons' Balloon Dog or Split Rocker in that regard but it might fit the environment better. That being said I think Koons' Balloon Flower and especially Tulips would have looked excellent.