The future is bright

Start Giles and Bagley immediately. We need to get serious about winning. Playing both of them bigger minutes immediately improves our two biggest problems: rebounding and interior defense, while sacrificing nothing, but only adding more post scoring.

I get that you don't just supplant starters and there's a locker room dynamic... blah blah blah.. on sheer talent and merit... start Giles and Bagley immediately. Plus, their legs are fresher and they can run us through the last 31 games.

Start Giles and Bagley immediately. We need to get serious about winning. Playing both of them bigger minutes immediately improves our two biggest problems: rebounding and interior defense, while sacrificing nothing, but only adding more post scoring.

I get that you don't just supplant starters and there's a locker room dynamic... blah blah blah.. on sheer talent and merit... start Giles and Bagley immediately. Plus, their legs are fresher and they can run us through the last 31 games.
While I think the future is bright and I am pumped about these 2, starting term both now at the same time would not improve the defense imo. Dare I say I think the defense would be a train wreck with both of them starting....at this time. Maybe in the future as they mature . I do however advocate increasing their minutes big time :)

While I think the future is bright and I am pumped about these 2, starting term both now at the same time would not improve the defense imo. Dare I say I think the defense would be a train wreck with both of them starting....at this time. Maybe in the future as they mature . I do however advocate increasing their minutes big time :)
That's fair. Belly's defense is actually super solid. Harry has that hyper quick learning curve though, so while he was lost on D earlier in the year, the last 3/4 games... there is a huge improvement. I just like to call things early and rack up I told you so's... ;):cool:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Why not just have faith that Dave Joerger knows what the hell he's doing? He's brought us this far. I for one have no problem with continuing to let him drive the boat.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The thing is, the defense with WCS and Bjelica was a train wreck in this game. If Joerger could just figure out who was going to wreck the train ahead of time it would be a lot easier on everyone. :p

The thing is, the defense with WCS and Bjelica was a train wreck in this game. If Joerger could just figure out who was going to wreck the train ahead of time it would be a lot easier on everyone. :p
Actually it was Bjelica's defense on Collins that was a train wreck in the first 4 minutes. To be more precise, it was Bjelica and Fox's pick and roll defense of Young and Collins duo that was a train wreck. It was so bad that Joerger had to call a time out to put WCS on Collins and that stopped the hemorrhage. After that it was just all down hill for the Hawks because Young and Collins pick and roll is their only potent offensive weapon.

Actually it was Bjelica's defense on Collins that was a train wreck in the first 4 minutes. To be more precise, it was Bjelica and Fox's pick and roll defense of Young and Collins duo that was a train wreck. It was so bad that Joerger had to call a time out to put WCS on Collins and that stopped the hemorrhage. After that it was just all down hill for the Hawks because Young and Collins pick and roll is their only potent offensive weapon.
Bjelicas defense has been apathetic at the 4 spot whenever there is anyone with athleticism there. Which is going to end up ushering in the Marvin Bagley era a bit earlier than Joeger had hoped I'd wager. And I say a bit earlier than Joeger had hoped only because I believe Joeger wanted to give Marcin more confidence destroying the second unit and their bigs before tossing him to the wolves. Something I think most people around here dont realize, or consider.

Sure, start them if the lack of a stretch 4 doesn't get exploited and become a liability. I have a hunch Beli and WCS will do well coming off the bench. But the Dukies are not much for spreading the floor. Yet.

If you're talking about defense in the paint (including or not including rebounds and blocked shots), I think our defense improves automatically just by removing WCS. I say start the Dukies. If the experiment doesn't work, adjust.