Testing a statement about Marvin Bagley

Are you up in arms about the "suckage" of Bagley?

• Total voters

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
@Kingsfan23 said in the Zach LaVine thread that "half the fanbase is up in arms over the suckage of their do or die number 2 pick." I'm starting this poll to test the veracity of this claim, at least as far as the KF membership goes.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
He certainly was not who most people thought we should of drafted.

That created a more of a microscopic analysis.

He played poorly in his opportunities so far.

Everything my instincts tell me is not favorable.

So no, I'm not up in arms, but I have next to no faith the front office made the proper decision.
All of that is fair ... and true.

I think he hasn't lived up to expectations quite yet but if I had to summarize what I think most Kings fans are thinking it's more along the lines of "It's early. I'm willing to wait and see what happens because the pick has been pretty much universally acknowledged throughout the basketball universe as a good one and 3 pre-summer league games aren't a big enough sample to properly gauge his performance."

All of that is fair ... and true.

I think he hasn't lived up to expectations quite yet but if I had to summarize what I think most Kings fans are thinking it's more along the lines of "It's early. I'm willing to wait and see what happens because the pick has been pretty much universally acknowledged throughout the basketball universe as a good one and 3 pre-summer league games aren't a big enough sample to properly gauge his performance."
I really do have a sense of dread about this.

But I'll reserve a permanent opinion for now, as I'd like to see him more in summer league and playing with a quality pg for a bit more.

If we judge talents by Summer League, we should totally sign Yi Jianlian and Anthony Randolph... Take this video as an example, I mean it's filled with whos-who. I mean really, who is he?

What do we know? His NBA career will not be limited by size or athletic ability. He was a stud at Duke. He has made positive statements about Sacramento and outwardly demonstrates good rapport with his young teammates. He is young and not a finished product. He has had 2 bad summer league games. What don't we know? How it will work out for him or any of the other kids drafted this year. Net positive? Surely.

Im not super worried about Bagley but to this day I think Doncic was the clear best player available and I see it very unlikely history will prove me wrong.
What history? Kings history? History of unathletic wings becoming stars in the league? History is against you in regards to players of Doncic’s ilk.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I wanted Doncic.

Still willing to wait it out on Bagley. SL is a terrible indicator (dude should be grabbing way more boards though).

l'll definitely be irked if Luka starts dropping triple doubles though.

What history? Kings history? History of unathletic wings becoming stars in the league? History is against you in regards to players of Doncic’s ilk.
History also tells you supremely skilled players with special level basketball IQ never fail in the NBA. Also athletically he is not as bad as your narrative says but keep believing that, although I'm sure your definition of athleticism is simply how high you can jump.

MBIII has a chance to be great A combination of skill, athleticism and determination. This is a combination seen in the great ones. The guys is a hard worker. No right hand? Just wait and see. In two years you guys will think he is a righty. Hard work and a desire to be great Give him a chance please

No.

Bagley is an excellent prospect. I was also in the crowd that wanted Doncic.

I’ve been amused in recent days about everybody’s sudden concern and expert analysis of the “off hand”. Something we heard little to nothing about leading up to the draft. Now people talk like he’s damaged goods and his other hand doesn’t work when it’s more likely it’s just an underdeveloped portion of his game as just a 19 year old that didn’t need the “off hand” to dominate his competition at other levels.

I also get amused by how seriously some people take summer league.

Last edited:
@Kingsfan23 said in the Zach LaVine thread that "half the fanbase is up in arms over the suckage of their do or die number 2 pick." I'm starting this poll to test the veracity of this claim, at least as far as the KF membership goes.
That certain poster is currently negative about everything. Honestly, he/she/it is more negative than you are positive.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Really? Thanks for the poll.

If you don’t like my wording or feelings, but half the fanbase “is concerned” about him. Or more

Truth
If you throw out comments like the one I quoted above as though they're facts, I'm gonna call you on them. I'd do it no matter who it was who made the initial post.

History also tells you supremely skilled players with special level basketball IQ never fail in the NBA. Also athletically he is not as bad as your narrative says but keep believing that, although I'm sure your definition of athleticism is simply how high you can jump.
I consider Ricky Rubio to be a failure. The expectation of him early in his career was that he would be a great point guard. The reality for him is that he is a liability for half of the game. The point is that he is a high IQ player that failed, or at the very least significantly underwhelmed.

I consider Ricky Rubio to be a failure. The expectation of him early in his career was that he would be a great point guard. The reality for him is that he is a liability for half of the game. The point is that he is a high IQ player that failed, or at the very least significantly underwhelmed.
He's a starting NBA PG and one of the best defensive PG's in the world. If you draft a long time starter in the lottery it can hardly be described as a failure. Jimmer Fredette, Thomas Robinson, Ben Mclemore, Nik Stauskas, Georgios Papagiannis, now those are some true failure lottery picks. Not even rotation players let alone starters.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
No because it's what I expected and who Marvin is. A 2nd or 3rd tier prospect.

When you rely on others for your own success, you're automatically a 2nd tier prospect or worse. Top tier prospects are the guys who can get their own, attract doubles/attention and create for others. Marvin needs others to do that so he can excel.

The performances this summer aren't the problem. It'd be different if he shot 5-17 and was creating for guys who didn't hit their shots. But the general analysis here is awful. The reason his performances should be a red flag is how and why they happened. He didn't have Fox creating for him. Fox made things happen game 1 and Marvin did well off that attention. But vs non-NBA level competition without Fox Marvin couldn't do the same....to the point he was invisible. Neither he nor his teammates tried to run offense thru him.

As it's not his game.

That's not something you suddenly develop either. Those types who have it, had it and the challenge is translating it to higher levels.

The reason Vlade blew this pick is not because Marvin won't be a good support player. It's because Vlade chose someone who's ceiling is a support player over guys who's ceiling is a tier one player, guys who don't rely on others to impact games.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I wanted Doncic but I was ok with this selection, though disappointed. But I liked what I saw in his first game so I don't think that means failure to build on that in two subsequent games means he sucks. There will be no shortage of people to feed him the ball and I'm sure with time he'll develop his deficiencies. Fox shut up most of the jokers calling him a bust in his appearance, having shown size and skill development. No reason to think Bags who appears happy to be here and willing to put in the work won't do the same.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
No because it's what I expected and who Marvin is. A 2nd or 3rd tier prospect.

When you rely on others for your own success, you're automatically a 2nd tier prospect or worse. Top tier prospects are the guys who can get their own, attract doubles/attention and create for others. Marvin needs others to do that so he can excel.

The performances this summer aren't the problem. It'd be different if he shot 5-17 and was creating for guys who didn't hit their shots. But the general analysis here is awful. The reason his performances should be a red flag is how and why they happened. He didn't have Fox creating for him. Fox made things happen game 1 and Marvin did well off that attention. But vs non-NBA level competition without Fox Marvin couldn't do the same....to the point he was invisible. Neither he nor his teammates tried to run offense thru him.

As it's not his game.

That's not something you suddenly develop either. Those types who have it, had it and the challenge is translating it to higher levels.

The reason Vlade blew this pick is not because Marvin won't be a good support player. It's because Vlade chose someone who's ceiling is a support player over guys who's ceiling is a tier one player, guys who don't rely on others to impact games.
Chris Bosh was a fair support player. As was Scottie Pippin. I guess Karl Malone was in the support staff as well, as his game heavily relied upon Stockton in the pick and roll. James Worthy would fit into the support crew; he sure as heck relied on Magic Johnson. No doubt, there are many other support players who are All Stars. Comforting thought. It's nice to know that you can be in the support staff and still be a great player, maybe even a Hall of Famer.

Bagley is a kid. I know it's rough in a world where instant media and instant gratification exist but Bagley won't be lighting anything up for a good 2-3 years.

Chill everyone.

All will agree, the kid has the best motor and work ethic out of all drafted. Just give a minute will ya. He is going to adjust.
If he did, not sure about the not impacting certain games one bit, the non aggression on D at times, nonchalant post game interviews after bad games etc. That’s just from my vantage

But I don’t think his motor/work ethic are determined conclusively at the point

No.

Bagley is an excellent prospect. I was also in the crowd that wanted Doncic.

I’ve been amused in recent days about everybody’s sudden concern and expert analysis of the “off hand”. Something we heard little to nothing about leading up to the draft. Now people talk like he’s damaged goods and his other hand doesn’t work when it’s more likely it’s just an underdeveloped portion of his game as just a 19 year old that didn’t need the “off hand” to dominate his competition at other levels.

I also get amused by how seriously some people take summer league.
Actually his lack of right hand was one of his biggest weaknesses mentioned before the draft. But what do you think we should do when we see something in a summer league game? Not write about it? This is a message board after all and unless you suggest we shut this site down during the summer league, I dont understand what you are mad or "amused" about. Every single person that watched these games saw his lack of right hand. Doesnt mean he wont develope but that doesnt mean it cant be mentioned.

If we cant discuss anything even slightly negative happening around this franchise, there wont be real discussion. Will get really boring and really pointless really fast when every post is the same "Im so excited about our young core and every decision Vlade makes" ect.

I hope Bagley becomes a very good player, a go to go guy that we expect if we draft at #2 taking a offensive player. That doesnt mean I have to shut down my own thinking process while watching the games for the next 2-3 years because he is young. If I or someone else sees something concerning in his game, its worth a discussion without it meaning that he is labled as a bust.

Last edited: