TDOS Summer Drafts?

Are we doing TDOS summer drafts again? Perhaps a five round draft where you pick individual food items from national fast food chains to make up the best fast food dinner ever?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
All I know is that the drafts take longer than you think, so it's probably useful to start thinking about them now. I'm sure Brick has a theme or two up his sleeve.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Are we doing TDOS summer drafts again? Perhaps a five round draft where you pick individual food items from national fast food chains to make up the best fast food dinner ever?
Actually, that is an interesting concept. Something to consider.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Alright, well I've been both overcommitted and moderately AWOL the last few weeks. Since most of the rest of the mods have simultaneously been taking the same post season siesta, we've been a little...flaccid. :p Just letting people's post season enthusiasm and the interest in the draft do its thing. I've still got the major time commitment to the Kings Tribute running, and then an even bigger project I contacted certain people about a few months ago. But we will have to start setting up TDOS drafts as well. As usual, will depend on interest. Hard to judge at the moment. Quite a few people actively concerned about the draft/our moves. But we'll see if that translates into lounge/game playing interest as well.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I am unlikely to participate in any drafts, unless Brick pulls the trigger on another "Hot Babe" draft, but I'm probably going to do something else.

Song drafts have been popular and fun. How about a TDOS music cover draft, in which you get a song cover, and it's original version for your tropical island ipod...

Bricklayer

Alright, here we finally are.

Draft is done.
Free Agency is largely done
Summer League is done.
Lot of trade chatter, but not much happening.

Its July 22. Guess what part of the year we're in? That's right! TDOS!!

And just about enough time to do one set of Tropical Island Drafts before training camp, if there are enough people interested. So I'm reactivating this thread to gauge how many want an excuse to hang around here for the next few months.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Possible, but doubtful. Too busy at work and may be in and out of the area for work and personal trips, so it might be difficult for me to keep up with it all.

Bricklayer

anybody else? For these to be viable and completable before the season starts up, we'd probably have to get them organized and going by the beginning of August at the latest.

Bricklayer

ok, well we may have to do some active recruiting here, we'll find out. Its time though. So let me throw out a list of ideas from this thread and the old warhorses. Occurs to me that one tried and true major draft, and one more nichey draft might be supportable, but who knows, maybe everybody will want to do multiples, or people will come out of the woodwork. I'm going to go ahead and break board rules here, start a conversation, do invites, and put a note on the main board recruiting:

Ok, so thoughts:

1) No Bonuses fast food menus -- fun, harmless, artery hardening, entirely depends on whether enough people are interested

2) Modified all time Kings fantasy draft (modified in that I have figured out a way around the problem of drafting Webb being an overwhelming advantage) -- occurs to me that there is no reason this draft couldn't be run repeatedly over different years, you'd never draft the same team twice. Do think restrict the rosters to maybe 7 guys though to not exceed people's knowledge, and slip in before the season.

3) One of the big main drafts: music or movies work in this format, and have the advantage that almost everybody watches/listens to them, so tastes differ but everybody can participate. Movies are movies, but musically we have done the album format and the everything by an artist format the last two years. So I think IPOD Singles II might be the next thing in the queue. Note BTW, I think I've figured out a new voting method at the end to up the chances of nichey or offbeat lists to have a chance in the playoffs. Hopefully help alleviate some of the tastes not the same as the rest of the board problem.

4) and while its more niche than mainline, the Jespher/NoBonus all cover songs all the time draft idea.

5) Hot Babes lurks, but I don't see it on such a short schedule. If there's ever another one its got to be suitably epic in scope, participation, and length. There's no half assing hot babes. :p

6) Cap's Favorite Non-Linear Regression Formulas

7) anything else? I don't think we've ever run more than three at once, gets chaotic and all that. And doubt there is participation to even make that a question, but we can set up as many as work. Just don't want to stretch it too thin.

I'm in and would love a reenactment of the all time Kings draft. Anyway sometimes it might get tricky for me to participate due to work/time difference but from September onwards I'll be on the east coast.

Bricklayer

Ok then, well today is everybody's lucky day, because its unofficially time for me to reengage here on a number of topics. So I'm going to roll call here, start a conversation and invite all of you to it, and then recruit from the main board as necessary.

Please tag any of these you would be interested in and I'll add your name to the lists. This does not obligate you, I am just looking to gauge interest here:

#1 Fast Food Item Draft
NoBonus, kingsnation, Jespher,Gogogadget, stero, Spike

#2 All time Kings Fantasy Draft
Capt., stero, William Blake, kingsnation, NoBonus, Jespher, 63Royals,

#3 Cover songs draft
Capt., William Blake, kingsnation, NoBonus, Padrino, Jespher, Gogogadget, 63Royals

#4 Favorite Movies Draft
Capt., stero, kingsnation, NoBonus, Padrino, Jespher, Gogogadget, 63Royals,

#5 IPOD Music Singles draft
Capt., William Blake, kingsnation, NoBonus, Padrino, Jespher, 63Royals

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Okay, think its time to choose what we are going to go forward with before I recruit on the main forum. Here are my thoughts:

1) The cover song idea has surprisingly strong support. Given that we only have 2 months until camp and 3 until the season starts, maybe it could serve as the core music/movie Draft that usually anchors these offseasons. Maybe a bit nichey, but this way we could save IPOD singles for next offseason -- generally feel that that one should have a lot of rounds and a maxed out roster of drafters anyway (my general theory is that the larger the number of possible things to be drafted, the more people/rounds there should be so that there is some competition/strategy/possibility of somebody else stealing something you want). Jespher could captain it since it was originally his idea (with a bit of help from NoBonus)

2) if cover songs were in, and IPODs out, then the other main draft would be either Movies or Kings Fantasy Draft. I would choose the Kings draft to present a different non-entertainment flavor (+ preserve movies for a fuller treatment next offseason). Kings draft would also have the advantage of being able to fit within our time period by just adjusting the size of the rosters we have to draft 7 or 8 guys should be doable before the season starts.

3) NoBonuses fast food draft idea is one of those quirky little niche draft ideas we have every so often. It may not get enough people to give it a go, but pitched as a quick fun little alternative, maybe an 8 or 10 person draft could be put together. I certainly don't see the harm in trying if Bonus is up for trying to recruit for his idea.

So that would be the 2-3 drafts I would go with. Any strongly pitched objections please speak up.

If we did that, Jespher would be the logical guy to head up cover songs, NoBonus fast food, and I'd set up the Kings draft.

Thanks for the nomination Bricklayer :) I'll head up the cover song draft, and can start the write-up/sign up thread in a bit.

My original thought was that each selection would include "ownership" of the original song and "ownership" of the selected cover on your island ipod, thus effectively getting 2 songs per pick. This would also stop drafting of the same song by different cover versions/bands. NoBonus suggested narrowing this to only the cover song selection in an earlier post. Any other suggestions on this front?