Such a Sad day....

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, we'll see if this comes to fruition. I'm sure if there were a buyer who wanted to keep the Kings in Sacramento that could match the offer the NBA would prefer that, but $500 million is a huge price tag.

One way or another I think the string is going to play out this year on the Maloof drama.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Sucks that it took moving the team to jettison the Magoofs.

I'm sure that the franchise is going to take an OKCesque jump in the coming years. No Magoofs, no GP, no (I assume) coach Dumb....If they keep the Reke/DMC core together and build around it with a bit of intelligence (something GP couldnt muster, or maybe he was just lazy..Probably both) they could have the team we should have had a season ago. Ah well.

The_Jamal

Hall of Famer
Sucks that it took moving the team to jettison the Magoofs.

I'm sure that the franchise is going to take an OKCesque jump in the coming years. No Magoofs, no GP, no (I assume) coach Dumb....If they keep the Reke/DMC core together and build around it with a bit of intelligence (something GP couldnt muster, or maybe he was just lazy..Probably both) they could have the team we should have had a season ago. Ah well.
To me, a move is a small-price to pay to finally get rid of the Maloofs. Everything that's wrong with this franchise can be traced back to them being terrible owners.

This team is no longer The Kings. They will be the Seattle Sonics. I don't see how any Kings fan can follow the team after this. They won't have any affiliation to the great Sac teams here.

gunks

Hall of Famer
This team is no longer The Kings. They will be the Seattle Sonics. I don't see how any Kings fan can follow the team after this. They won't have any affiliation to the great Sac teams here.
Well, it helps that I live in Seattle. If they moved to Virginia Beach I'd be done with em. But I'm a Kings fan, always was, never really cared about the Sonics. This is crappy in a lot of ways, so I'm in no way happy about this going down. Totally feel for all you guys in Sac/NorCal. Bummed that we'll never get a chance to beat the Lakers in the post season as the Kings.

And one last time:

**** the **** bunch of **** *** ******* *** ***** Maloofs. They can **** their **** with some *** and ******* on top.

Last edited:
Very disappointed in the Maloofs. Sacramento did everything that was asked of us by the NBA so im hoping that they will return the favor and block the move.

If the reports are true, I'm happy for the team, the players, and everyone who will no longer have to deal with the Maloofs.

Since I'm not local to the Sacramento area, my sympathies to the folks who are. My thoughts echo Gunks above.

Can't even really get my thoughts together about the whole situation right now. Very very sad. It doesnt affect me as much coming from Virginia, but I grew up idolizing the team in Sacramento, not Seattle. I will continue to follow the NBA but right now it looks as if I will with no favorite team. I will always fondly remember all the great memories of the Sacramento Kings, and that is something they can never take away from us fans, even with a move to Seattle. I am so sorry for the residents. #KingsAllDay

This is just horrible... anybody here think there is any notable chance that this team isn't in Seattle next year? I feel like we are going to be watching Cousins and Tyreke in the playoffs with a different team and city. We've been waiting so long to get back to being respectable and I feel like we are almost there only to have it ripped away. By the way, I live in North Dakota and am beyond upset about this. I have watched nearly every game of the SACRAMENTO KINGS for the past 10+ years. This is just so unfair to do to a city and its fanbase that has proven itself.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I'm holding out hope until it's confirmed by all involved parties. Tough, very tough to do at this point but we still haven't heard from the local investors waiting in the wings.

Kevin Johnson ‏@KJ_MayorJohnson
Bottom line Sacramento: it's not over... #keepthefaith #playingtowin

Indeed, sources close to the situation told PBT that there are still many hurdles for this deal to overcome, and that Sacramento still has willing, reputable buyers ready to meet or beat Hansen’s offer in order to keep the franchise in town.

I've put up with this s*** for far too long to role over and say die before KJ and the investors he has lined up get a chance to respond.

What are the rules of being a fan? If a team moves to another city and state, AND changes their name, are they the same team? Are the OKC Thunder the Seattle SuperSonics? Will the Seattle SuperSonics be the Sacramento Kings?

This is the quandry that I am in if they do indeed move. I want to stick with the Kings but who are the Kings if the move occurs?

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
If a local buyer bids more than we have a chance, but given past history it wouldn't surprise me if David Stern is precisely the kind of douche that would think screwing over one city on his way out the door to make up for screwing over another city 4 years ago is some kind of necessary closure. Other than sitting here with the sword of Damocles looming, does anyone have any ideas on what we could be doing about this right now?

wow. 1/9/13 worst day of my life.

unless this is there crazy way of starting a bidding war in which a Sacramento buyer will end up overpaying?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
wow. 1/9/13 worst day of my life.

unless this is there crazy way of starting a bidding war in which a Sacramento buyer will end up overpaying?
Why wouldn't it be? The Maloofs flirt with Virginia Beach (which seemed like a ploy from the start) and then leak out a figure they'd accept to entice Hansen's group to make their bid. Then they turn to KJ and ask him to beat it.

After all, why turn to KJ first and see if he has a buyer that can meet their asking price if they can squeeze out more money using the Seattle group for leverage.

The good news here is that the Maloofs are apparently going to sell. The next step is seeing if Sacramento can have a buyer ready to keep the team here. It will be an interesting situation to watch. I certainly hope it all ends with the Kings in town, a new arena and no Maloofs. Is that too much to ask for?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Yeah, don't be sad just yet.

KJ is at least going to start another battle. All depends on whether the NBA is still listening. And damn guys, really do wish more of you had been in the arena all season. In any case this is endgame now, and the Maloofs will be out...in favor of somebody.

Yeah, don't be sad just yet.

KJ is at least going to start another battle. All depends on whether the NBA is still listening. And damn guys, really do wish more of you had been in the arena all season. In any case this is endgame now, and the Maloofs will be out...in favor of somebody.

‎"Source: Seattle groups offer was rejected by Maloofs. Hmmm. Plot thickening by the minute." -Steve Large of CBS 13

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Maybe I'm in a glass half-full sort of mood. The Maloofs ARE selling. That gauntlet's been tossed on the table. I also believe in KJ's ability to bring the right buyer into the fold. Now that the Maloofs are selling, and (if) Burkle drops the money to keep them in Sac, I think we see the end result that we've been hoping for.

If not, then at least it's going to Seattle, and not Virginia Beach or some other lame *** town.

‎"Source: Seattle groups offer was rejected by Maloofs. Hmmm. Plot thickening by the minute." -Steve Large of CBS 13
Yup, plot thickening for sure, just like I thought it would...it seemed too simple to just 'sell to Hanson and bid goodbye to Sacramento'...nope, lots more going on here folks. I never jumped off the Seattle bridge to begin with...or VB, for that matter. Stay tuned folks, this may turn out rosier than we ever could have dreamed.