Stormageddon 2014

This storm has been way overestimated for the Sacramento area. Virtually no winds for the rest of the night and just basic rain (it even goes as far as saying "light rain" at 7:00). Nothing too dangerous about the conditions compared to a normal rainy day.
Thank You for the update!!! It says that by 7:00 that the wind speed will be 9 mph.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Thank You for the update!!! It says that by 7:00 that the wind speed will be 9 mph.
It's not the winds you have to worry about. It's about flooding because of the large volume of rain falling in a short period of time. I'd check the CalTrans website and perhaps CHP to check on any flooding in or around the area of Sleep Train. It's in a flood plain after all... ;) If nothing else, you might want to leave a little early to allow for more traffic.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Does anyone know if the rain will calm down by 7:30?
Doubt it. As a born and bread Minnesotan I find this concern hilarious. :)

Edit: I just checked weather on TV and I see no end of rain until tomorrow. Expected 2 inches of rain from now until tomorrow morning. That's a lot of water. Bring a boat. I forgot about the flooding possibilities. As far as I understand the rain has been steady and avoids floods but who knows when a quick 1/2" of rain falls and on comes the flood.

Last edited:

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
This storm has been way overestimated for the Sacramento area. Virtually no winds for the rest of the night and just basic rain (it even goes as far as saying "light rain" at 7:00). Nothing too dangerous about the conditions compared to a normal rainy day.
NorCal at large is about as soft as it comes in regards to bad weather. Wusses. This storm even got its own hashtag "hellastorm" on social media, while schools were off due to a rain day.

After growing up in NY where bad weather actually means, bad weather, and having our fair share of true snow days, I find the whole reaction around here to be quite amusing. As for me, two of my patio chairs blew over. I hope I can mentally recover from the hardship.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
NorCal at large is about as soft as it comes in regards to bad weather. Wusses. This storm even got its own hashtag "hellastorm" on social media, while schools were off due to a rain day.

After growing up in NY where bad weather actually means, bad weather, and having our fair share of true snow days, I find the whole reaction around here to be quite amusing. As for me, two of my patio chairs blew over. I hope I can mentally recover from the hardship.
#HellaStorm was a joke started (I believe) by Carmichael Dave.

Glenn

Hall of Famer

Really? Picture me doubled over in laughter. There was a decent amount of snow in Minneapolis but there is a well orchestrated snow removal pattern. Everybody knew it and it worked. The snow removal budget was huge. The flooding I remember around here was in Roseville but I have heard nothing that indicates it will flood here tonight.

Rain days?????????

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Really? Picture me doubled over in laughter. ... Rain days?????????
To be fair, they were projecting sustained 40+ MPH winds with gusts above 60 MPH and the thought was that combining that with about three inches of rain was going to mean a ton of downed trees and thus power outages all over the place. Then the wind just didn't happen, at least not around here. A bit gusty here and there, but nothing remotely worthy of the warnings we were getting.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Really? Picture me doubled over in laughter. There was a decent amount of snow in Minneapolis but there is a well orchestrated snow removal pattern. Everybody knew it and it worked. The snow removal budget was huge. The flooding I remember around here was in Roseville but I have heard nothing that indicates it will flood here tonight.

Rain days?????????
Most schools down here in the Bay Area were off today.

Good for the drought though.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
To be fair, they were projecting sustained 40+ MPH winds with gusts above 60 MPH and the thought was that combining that with about three inches of rain was going to mean a ton of downed trees and thus power outages all over the place. Then the wind just didn't happen, at least not around here. A bit gusty here and there, but nothing remotely worthy of the warnings we were getting.
There is supposed to be a blizzard in the mountains tonight. First time in 7 years. Yes, I remember the predictions of 60 mile an hour winds. I didn't factor that into my derision of the Sacramento wussies. :)

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Most schools down here in the Bay Area were off today.

Good for the drought though.
The more snow pack the better. We have been lucky that the rainfall has been steady and not the kind that would lead to floods.

I have had this happen before. My wish was to have a four wheel drive SUV, Mercedes of course, and drive to Tahoe in the rain and then get snowed in for a few days. It's beautiful if it doesn't disrupt your life.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
You guys should see what happens when it snows here.

Hell, people can't even drive in the rain here despite rainy weather being something we're sorta known for.