Stepien Rule

Does anyone else think this rule does more to hinder teams than help?

I know it’s designed to save franchises from themselves but I think it often has a negative effect.

what are your thoughts?
Could it be amended in a way that would accomplish the goal while allowing more freedom?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
The point of the Stepien rule is to hinder teams!

The one thing I can imagine without completely tearing it to the ground is this: The rule as envisioned now says you can't make any moves that might result in two future consecutive years without a first-round draft pick. This could be changed to, say, "you can't make any moves that might result in you not having three years with a first-round pick going into draft day in any six-year period (past or future)". Then, for instance, if you've used three picks in a row you could then trade the next three consecutive picks (but then you'd have to make picks in the next three years after that). I kind of doubt many teams would trade three straight, but you might see teams trading two straight under the right circumstances.

Does anyone else think this rule does more to hinder teams than help?

I know it’s designed to save franchises from themselves but I think it often has a negative effect.

what are your thoughts?
Could it be amended in a way that would accomplish the goal while allowing more freedom?
I’m a fan of it. Without it, a bad GM can set a team back a decade.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
im not saying get rid of it, but I think it could be better. A lot of good trades don’t happen because of it IMO.
A lot of good trades don't happen for salary cap and salary matching reasons. A lot of good trades don't happen for no trade clause reasons. Get rid of those too?