[SPOARTS!] Comments that don't warrant their own thread

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I don't know how to explain it, man: everyone who knows me intimately feels like it's something that I would really enjoy... except I don't. There's just nothing about the sport that resonates with me.

And the more popular the sport becomes, the more I resent it. It definitely doesn't help that from my perspective, coverage of a bunch of sports I like way more has consistently and persistently decreased over time, in the name of providing maximum coverage for football. I've talked about this before, but I remember a point in time in the late 90s/early 00s, during what I personally refer to as the "golden age" of sports radio, when I could listen to eight straight hours of national sports radio on a random Tuesday in February, and literally not hear a word about the NFL.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I can understand not liking the sport for what it is. it's not every bodies preferred sport to engage in. to dislike because of its popularity is an unfortunate approach to take but I can respect. other than basketball and tennis, what sports do you enjoy?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Primarily track and field and swimming. Some combat sports. There are also other sports that I would follow more closely if they were more accessible/got more coverage, like handball, water polo, archery. volleyball, fencing and weightlifting... My disdain for football aside, I tend to have a fondness for sports that allow you to score while you're on defense.

Every year I tell myself, "This is going to be the year that I get into soccer," but it never seems to work out that way.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
what type of combat sports do you consume? Soccer is a beautiful sport. You can start your journey this fall when the World Cup starts. USA is competing this year, may give you a reason to tune in.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Wrestling (real wrestling, even though I obviously like wrasslin', too), MMA (my preference is for middleweight and higher weight classes, and women's MMA), some boxing (again, preference is super middleweight and up, and women's boxing). I'd probably watch more combat sports, if they were more easily accessible.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I mean, Alvarez is great, but I probably like Benavidez better, because I like to see knockouts. I wouldn't say that I'm enough of a fan of boxing that I have a super-strong opinion on it.

Shilese Jones is absolutely killing it in the National Championships.

With a field that included Jade Carey, Jordan Chiles, Leanne Wong, Konnor McClain and Kayla DiCello, Jones admittedly wasn’t really on my radar.

But she is stepping up big after the heartbreak of finishing 10th in trails a year ago and declaring herself done with elite gymnastics. Rooting for her to finish strong.

Absolute dogfight between Jones and McClain for the National title, but McClain comes out on top with a crisp, gutty performance, as Jones comes back down to earth a bit on the second and final day.

Confident Jones and McClain stamped their tickets to Worlds here, with Chiles and Carey locked in on the 5 woman roster as well.

Would imagine DiCello did enough to earn the final spot, but read she planned to forgo competing to attend Florida. Wong is a contender too, even though she struggled with an injury this weekend. Another strong team USA, even with Biles and Lee sitting out this year.

Jade Carey named USA Gymnastics Athlete of the Year. (Link in Headline)

Well deserved for Carey, who dominated her freshman year at Oregon, with her only “loss” in all-around competition coming in the National Finals against NCAA legend Trinity Thomas.

The reigning Olympic FX gold medalist spent her summer vacation returning to the elite level to medal on vault, and presumable rejoin the US National team at World’s in October.

I legit don’t understand who is on the US National team for Worlds.

The broadcast cut off before any announcement of the team was made, and reports were it wouldn’t be finalized until later anyway.

Yet the USA Gymnastics website lists the team as the expected: Carey, Jones, DiCello, Chiles, and McClain for the five woman team, plus Blakey, Mueller, and Zeiss.

I would assume the latter 3 are alternates, but the site does not designate them as such, only listing the 8 names in alphabetical order. And again, I didn’t think the team had been chosen yet anyway. Strange.

Edit: As of Sept 11, Addison Fatta, Katelyn Jong, and Levi Jung-Ruivivar have been added to the roster. All three finished outside the top 8 in the All-Around and individual apparatus events at Nationals. Clear “alternate” adds.

Last edited:
Jade Carey named USA Gymnastics Athlete of the Year. (Link in Headline)

Well deserved for Carey, who dominated her freshman year at Oregon, with her only “loss” in all-around competition coming in the National Finals against NCAA legend Trinity Thomas.

The reigning Olympic FX gold medalist spent her summer vacation returning to the elite level to medal on vault, and presumable rejoin the US National team at World’s in October.
It's well deserved. She performed very well.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member