[SPOARTS!] Comments that don't warrant their own thread

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
:: sighs ::

I don't ever want to be the guy who tells a once-great athlete that they need to retire, but... Serena is the greatest women's tennis player of all time, AFAIC (Margaret Court Hive, go argue with your shriveled up aunties), and I'd hate to see her go out like Willie Mays.

Just wild stuff. I get it for football, which is really its own industry, and in which the PAC-12 is falling behind significantly, but I'm surprised the other sports are going along too.
Hope the Bruins maintain their annual games against Cal and Stanford. Larry Scott really torpedoed the conference with his TV strategy. Not really looking forward to traveling to games in the Midwest. Ugh.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Recap of the first three days of the World Athletics Championships in Eugene, OR (Gold Medalists listed only, unless otherwise indicated):

• Women's 20km Race Walk: Kimberly García León (PER)
  • Men's 20km Race Walk: Toshikazu Yamanishi (JPN)
  • 4x 400m Mixed Relay: (G) DOM, (S) NED, (B) USA
    • USA Team included Allyson Felix, competing in the final race of her career.
  • Men's Hammer Throw: Pawel Fajdek (POL)
  • Women's 10,000m: Letesenbet Gidey (ETH)
  • Men's Long Jump: Jianan Wang (CHN)
  • Women's Shot Put: Chase Ealey (USA)
    • First-ever event gold for United States women.
  • Men's 100m: Fred Kerley (USA)
    • United States sweeps podium
  • Men's Marathon: Tamirat Tola (ETH)
  • Women's Hammer Throw: (G) Brooke Andersen (USA), (S) Camryn Rogers (CAN), (B) Janeé Kassanavoid (USA)
  • Men's 10,000m: Joshua Cheptegei (UGA)
  • Women's Pole Vault: (G) Katie Nageotte (USA), (S) Sandi Morris (USA), (B) Nina Kennedy (AUS)
    • This is a reversal of the result for Morris and Nageotte, who finished 1 and 2, respectively, at the Indoor Championships in Belgrade, in March.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Late Gold Medal results from Day 4:

• Mutaz Essa Barshim (QAT) wins the Men's High Jump.
  • Yulimar Rojas (VEN) wins the Women's Triple Jump. Tori Franklin (USA) gets Bronze.
  • Soufiane El Bakkali (MAR) wins the Men's 3,000m Steeplechase.
  • Faith Kipyegon (KEN) wins the Women's 1,500m.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Day 5 evening results:

• Eleanor Patterson (AUS) wins the Women's High Jump.
  • Kristjan Čeh (SLO) wins the Men's Discus,
  • Alison Dos Santos (BRA) wins the Men's 400m Hurdles. United States gets silver and bronze.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Day 6 evening Gold Medal results:

• Bin Feng (CHN) wins the Women's Discuss. Valarie Allman (USA) gets bronze.
  • Norah Jeruto (KZN) wins the Women's 3,000, Steeplechase.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
BREAKING: Sydney McLaughlin (USA) wins the Women's 400m hurdles, with a new World Record! Her Olympic teammate and rival Dalilah Muhammad gets bronze.

McLaughlin is only 22 years old: she's going to be dominating this event for a while. Shout out to Dalilah Muhammad, though: still getting it done at 32. Multiple-time Olympic and World Champion. She won Gold in this event in Rio, and beat a then-20 year-old McLaughlin at the World Championships in Doha, in 2019... As near as I can tell, that was the last race that McLaughlin ever lost.

Last edited:
BREAKING: Sydney McLaughlin (USA) wins the Women's 400m hurdles, with a new World Record! Her Olympic teammate and rival Dalilah Muhammad gets bronze.

McLaughlin is only 22 years old: she's going to be dominating this event for a while. Shout out to Dalilah Muhammad, though: still getting it done at 32. Multiple-time Olympic and World Champion. She won Gold in this event in Rio, and beat a then-20 year-old McLaughlin at the World Championships in Doha, in 2019... As near as I can tell, that was the last race that McLaughlin ever lost.
Her time was only 1.5 seconds slower than the winner of the 400m. Really amazing.