Sorry, Trump, no way this kid gets fired

from the sacbee.

Kings 2004 preview: Sorry, Trump, no way this kid gets fired

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Tuesday, November 2, 2004

First-round draft choice Kevin Martin is in a unique-but-enviable position.

He may be a rookie, but he's expected to receive substantial playing time for an NBA title contender.

The slender 6-foot-7 shooting guard is receiving an accelerated opportunity to navigate his way through the league's territory because of an injury to starter and, some say, physical look-alike Doug Christie.

The Kings believe Martin has the skills, temperament and poise to make a contribution this season, which he expects to do.

Martin left Western Carolina after his junior season to enter the NBA draft. He was selected with the 26th pick.

There are many stages an NBA rookie has to experience, however, and Martin quickly learned veterans' training camp was different from the summer-league success he enjoyed in Long Beach.

Martin averaged a team-high 22.4 points per game on 47.8 percent shooting against free agents and rookies from other NBA squads. In Long Beach, Martin was given the ball by Kings coaches and told to do his thing.

It wasn't like that in training camp.

"The first couple of days of training camp I was trying to learn everything, and I started out struggling," said Martin, who averaged at least 22 points in his three collegiate seasons, including 24.9 in 2003-04 when he was the NCAA's second-leading Division I scorer.

"A lot of guys, like Mike (Bibby) and Bobby (Jackson), do things off of each other because they've been playing together a long time," Martin said. "Then I come in and start with them, and I was just out there doing what I can do as a player.

"Right now, it's play defense, rebound, hit open shots, score when needed. So I'm trying to fit in with them."

The Kings are one of the league's best scoring teams, so there aren't huge expectations of a rookie to come in and contribute offensively.

Yet in the Kings' system, players - rookies and veterans included - are expected to shoot when there are open shots. Sacramento's penchant for ball movement results in many open-shot opportunities.

Martin knows that in the preseason he bypassed more than a few of those shots. If he didn't know it on his own, he certainly had help figuring it out.

His veteran teammates have let him know, and the coaching staff could be heard yelling at him when he failed to shoot when open.

One thing his teammates and coaches have to recognize is Martin loves to take the ball to the basket. He attacks it with conviction and confidence, never mind his thin build.

Martin said he's not trying to force things and that he's early into his learning curve.

"I think a lot," Martin said. "Playing with those guys, starting with four All-Stars, me and Chris (Webber) talk about it all the time. He tells me to shoot the open shot if it's there. But I think a lot of times, I'm just trying to fit in and get a feel for how they play and how the NBA games are.

"As a rookie, you come in and you think a lot."

Kings assistant coach Elston Turner and president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie said they see much potential in Martin.

"There's a lot of upside there," said Turner, who is known for being sparse in his praise. "He can be good. He defends better than I thought he would and he's as quick as a cat, especially on cuts.

"He's real coachable. He's been thrown into the fire a little early, and he's handled it. He's going to be a player. You can see he's a little hesitant out there with the regulars. But if you're open, shoot the ball. I think he's going to surprise some people, and we know he still has some things to learn."

Petrie, a fine scorer in his day with the Portland Trail Blazers, said there is a positive in Martin's decision to ease back while playing with the

starters.

"He needs to keep playing and get acclimated to the game ... a feel for our style of play, and where his opportunities are going to be and how to take advantage of them," Petrie said. "You see him doing a lot more in practice at this point, being more aggressive offensively and creating different shots for himself.

"But you have to remember, he's joined essentially a really veteran team that has a long history of playing together. I think to his credit, in some ways, he's out there trying to fit in and not get in the way, and take advantage of what comes along as opposed to saying, 'I'm this hotshot rookie and I'm going to get mine up regardless of how good you guys have been.' "

Jackson said he wants Martin to be who he is.

"He's very talented, and I think Kevin needs to be a little more aggressive," said Jackson, who likely will be playing with Martin a bit as part of the team's second unit. "He came into the league as a scorer, and he has the team (around him) to be a scorer. Just play his game, that's all I want him to do. Be aggressive the way he was in college."