So what's the deal with Giles? (split)

dude12

Hall of Famer
with Dedmon on ice, I’m starting to sense he may get traded.....isn’t he eligible to now be traded? Also, interesting that Dedmon and Giles both did not get into the game although with Dedmon I understand why the vet doesn’t finish garbage time but Giles?

with Dedmon on ice, I’m starting to sense he may get traded.....isn’t he eligible to now be traded? Also, interesting that Dedmon and Giles both did not get into the game although with Dedmon I understand why the vet doesn’t finish garbage time but Giles?
I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been any hard investigative reporting around Giles. Easy to assume that this is physical about the knee, and there is sort of PR campaign to keep everyone's spirits up but the guy simply can't physically do it.

But that is nothing but a guess and it's kind of frustrating to see a core piece of "Superteam Just Young" be quietly swept under the rug like this. very weird.

The Kings declined his option. The team has no incentive to play him. The "we still love Harry talk" was all just PR bs. The writing is on the wall, as it was for Willie last season.

His value is rock bottom he's overpaid with years left/declining player we would have to attach bjelica or Bogi with him

Kingster

Hall of Famer
There was a guy who called up Napier on his radio show. Naps said that he would ask the coach about him when he interviewed him in a few days. The interview happened and there was no question from Naps to the coach about Giles. Just adds to the weirdness.

Giles had ice on his knees on the bench despite not playing.

I'm going with the theory that Giles said play me. Kings said "you're not ready". There's no way anyone is going to pay him $4mil plus next season if he can't go. Would be nice if we get a 4th year out of him but I think writing is on the wall that he's a 5-6 year project at best now.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I don’t know but it’s one reason I’m on hiatus. It makes no sense. You cannot deny he was improving and flashing skills not a lot of bigs have last year. He and Bagley were fun to watch. The team went all in on the hype train. The players were all in on the hype train.

It makes no sense. If there was a concrete reason it wouldn’t hurt as much or be so baffling. Hey, that knee will explode in 2 seasons. Hey, he kicked the coaches puppy because he wasn’t happy with something in training camp. Hey, he straight up quit working. All legit reasons why he’s on the outs.

But nothing. It’s weird.

I don’t know but it’s one reason I’m on hiatus. It makes no sense. You cannot deny he was improving and flashing skills not a lot of bigs have last year. He and Bagley were fun to watch. The team went all in on the hype train. The players were all in on the hype train.

It makes no sense. If there was a concrete reason it wouldn’t hurt as much or be so baffling. Hey, that knee will explode in 2 seasons. Hey, he kicked the coaches puppy because he wasn’t happy with something in training camp. Hey, he straight up quit working. All legit reasons why he’s on the outs.

But nothing. It’s weird.
There have been rumblings he didn't put in the work in the offseason and came into camp in worse than expected shape. To be honest, if that's true, I commend that FO for keeping it internal. They've been very vocal about supporting him, outside of not picking up the option which is obviously a huge red flag. If something is salvageable here, I think discretion is the better part of valor.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
We can all make our own assumptions but there is something that us fans don't know and the front office does know and doesn't want to share in my opinion. Another factor here is he just isn't in good shape, part of it is he isn't playing and the other part is his diet/conditioning because you can see when he plays limited minutes he is dripping of sweat as if he's been playing for 30+ minutes

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

But nothing. It’s weird.
Oh, there's a concrete reason but, as kingsboi just said, "there is something" fans don't know that the front office does know but isn't going to share.

gunks

Hall of Famer
We haven't had a lot of garbage time...

I don't think Giles is ready for minutes when the game is on the line, and unfortunately with the Cardiac Kings, the game is just about ALWAYS on the line!

His knees could also be completely shot. Which is a bummer scenario but not an outlandish one.

There could be a very simple reason why Giles is not playing.

Considering the limited news that has come out so far. My guess is that Giles came into camp out of shape, from where the team expected him. After 2 days of wind sprints, his knees started to hurt him. The team took it as further evidence that Giles did not properly prepare for the new season. Therefore, leading to them declining of the team option.

Giles is in the coach's dog house since coming up hurt after 2 days into training camp. Once he got healthy, there were 3-4 big men (Holmes, Bjeli, Ariza and Bagley) that established themselves with the coach's trust.

Now, Giles has to prove himself all over again to the coach. He doesn't have the goodwill from last year, because we have a new coach.
He will have to be patient and wait for an opportunity to shine. If and when he gets that opportunity, I sure hope he can take advantage of it and show what he's got.

If he doesn't get the opportunity this season, he will probably have to re-sign with the Kings for a minimum contract this summer, because most teams won't want to gamble on his knees, if he doesn't show healthy during the season.

I'm not sure we could get a top 55 protected for Giles, and Dedmon is negative value, so I hope not as we will have to give away an asset or take back more bad salary.

Giles is still just 21 years old. I have no problem with him taking even much longer than we'd hoped. I can't speculate on why we didn't pick up the the option, but after any hurt feelings die down, the strategic result will not be bad for the Kings. It means that if they want to continue the project, they can sign him likely fairly cheaply next year.

If the delay is indeed related to a slow rehab, or perhaps a combination of not being in shape to start the year because of physical limitations in working out hard, then I'm ok with that. I don't question Harry's heart. I saw enough fire in him last year to know that this kid would absolutely be going as hard as he could, if he could. So as usual, I'm giving him the L'Optimisticalismatic treatment, and will wait to see what happens with him after yet another off season. Again, he's still just 21. And, his body has not seen a lot of wear over the past few years. Big men also do take longer to develop: see Hasan Whiteside.

If he's still in the doghouse at this time next year (or not on the team), then I'll get they sads, Harry style. I like the kid a lot, and I love his game. I really hope he can still come around, and from all my observable data, do not see that as impossible at this point in time. Godspeed to Mr. Giles.

Last edited:
Giles is still just 21 years old. I have no problem with him taking even much longer than we'd hoped. I can't speculate on why we didn't pick up the the option, but after any hurt feelings die down, the strategic result will not be bad for the Kings. It means that if they want to continue the project, they can sign him likely fairly cheaply next year.

If the delay is indeed related to a slow rehab, or perhaps a combination of not being in shape to start the year because of physical limitations in working out hard, then I'm ok with that. I don't question Harry's heart. I saw enough fire in him last year to know that this kid would absolutely be going as hard as he could, if he could. So as usual, I'm giving him the L'Optimicalismatic treatment, and will wait to see what happens with him after yet another off season. Again, he's still just 21. And, his body has not seen a lot of wear over the past few years. Big men also do take longer to develop: see Hasan Whiteside.

If he's still in the doghouse at this time next year (or not on the team), then I'll get they sads, Harry style. I like the kid a lot, and I love his game. I really hope he can still come around, and from all my observable data, do not see that as impossible at this point in time. Godspeed to Mr. Giles.
I'd like to see us sign him for two years at a reasonable (as in less than the original option price) deal. But that's assuming he can give us 5-10 mins per game by the end of the season which right now seems optimistic.

Either way, I'm not sure many teams are going to be pounding down his door in July. At least he has a favorable agent.