So What About Gay?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Lost in the Cousins' shuffle is the report about Gay being on the trading block. Has anyone asked Vlade or Karl about that? It's highly doubtful Cousins gets traded, at least by the draft. But what about Gay? Vlade is talking about a historic change in the franchise. If that's the case, is Gay the lynchpin?

doubt it. he's not unmoveable but its clear we have him a very good value and that he is an integral part of our team.

I feel like Vlade will make a few minor trades and our historic changes will be a big name FA. No one wants to come here however we could very well be cashed up or Rudy may be involved in a sign and trade.

Rudy for Bledsoe, tucker, and #13
I would do this no problem (the Suns wouldn't IMO) and if we keep our pick we can potentially snag Kaminsky and WCS.... that would be one heck of a change. I am in the boat (probably a small boat) that really appreciates Rudy, but doesn't see him as a second option. What Rudy is, to me anyway, is one hell of a 3rd option. The reason for this is that when Cousins goes to the bench, Rudy simply is not good enough to hold us over while our main gun is sitting on the bench, unless he really has it going and is scoring at a great clip. However, if he has an off night, he really isn't the type of guy to set his teammates up ala a Dreymond Green type. I am not saying he is a horrible passer, but we crumble with Cousins on the bench, sometimes with or without Rudy. He feeds off of Cousins and the attention he commands. You take Cousins away, and Rudy's efficiency decreases significantly.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Lost in the Cousins' shuffle is the report about Gay being on the trading block. Has anyone asked Vlade or Karl about that? It's highly doubtful Cousins gets traded, at least by the draft. But what about Gay? Vlade is talking about a historic change in the franchise. If that's the case, is Gay the lynchpin?
If you look at the video of Vlade's comments today, you'll notice he was standing in front of G1C, complete with safety vest and hard hat. When he started to talk about the historic change and something beautiful, he gestured towards the arena behind him. He wasn't talking about the team at that point, but at the incredible building going up downtown.

If you get a chance to watch the video, the historic change was in reference to the arena being built.

Rudy was the second highest scoring SF last year with decent efficiency (great efficiency under Malone) even with all of the crap going on around the team. He is in his prime and is the starting caliber 3/4 we have needed for years. Not to mention he is on a pretty good contract. Trading him would be a backwards move IMO.

I would prefer minor changes. No need to tear everything down once again and change our team setup completely. Cousins+Rudy+DC are serviceable. PF and maybe (and it's a big maybe) SG are the positions we need to improve.
And we need a whole lot of changes to our bench unit.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
As VF21 pointed out, the historic change Vlade was alluding to is the new arena and a new chapter in the Kings history etc

This is the hardest time of year to discern fact from fiction. Agents and opposing GMs are trying to gin up interest in their players. Rondo's stock is at an all time low. But the Kings have shown interest in the past. Are they really still interested? Or is that a fiction by Rondo's agent to get out the narrative that (1) teams still want Rondo and (2) that he's willing to agree to a one year rental. Likewise with McGee. Yes, Karl coached him. Does he want him back? I don't know. But it's a believable story so it makes sense for his agent to throw it out there.

I'm VERY concerned with the Karl/Cousins stuff going on. But on every other possible move I look at it as just conversation to pass the time. The true direction of the Kings will start to shake out on draft night.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
As VF21 pointed out, the historic change Vlade was alluding to is the new arena and a new chapter in the Kings history etc

This is the hardest time of year to discern fact from fiction. Agents and opposing GMs are trying to gin up interest in their players. Rondo's stock is at an all time low. But the Kings have shown interest in the past. Are they really still interested? Or is that a fiction by Rondo's agent to get out the narrative that (1) teams still want Rondo and (2) that he's willing to agree to a one year rental. Likewise with McGee. Yes, Karl coached him. Does he want him back? I don't know. But it's a believable story so it makes sense for his agent to throw it out there.

I'm VERY concerned with the Karl/Cousins stuff going on. But on every other possible move I look at it as just conversation to pass the time. The true direction of the Kings will start to shake out on draft night.
It's hard for me to believe that a player known for his high BBIQ - Vlade - would be interested in a player like McGee. Until I see otherwise I'm operating under the assumption that Vlade gives a lot of weight to BBIQ in player evaluations. It's just human nature - if you're a smart basketball player you're really not going to like dumb ones.

Tom Ziller: '...word is Rudy Gay would prefer to no longer play with Cousins.'

I don't believe this, looked as if Rudy and DeMarcus got a long just fine on and off the floor. The two mesh really well together on the floor, a lot better than I thought at first. Also, Rudy wouldn't have signed here, if he didn't like to play with Cuz.
Someone must have seen those two give each other a mean look on the bench one time, I know that I saw that once or twice, just like what happens with just about every player in the league.

The rumor I read was that we are looking to open up cap space to sign Rajon Rondo to a one-year deal to fix his career and then let him move on so he can be happy again. Of course I'm adding some of my own feelings, but that rumor is out there.

If this team is really that stupid then the Kings will never be good again, period. However I think there are some stupid decisions being made, but no one is that stupid.

I like Gay but have not completely drunk the koolaid on him, he's not untradeable. If a Gay suitor will take Landry & JT... and give back better contacts (do we have a trade exception to spend?) then I won't freak out if we trade him. That is, if we're "selling high" and getting quite a bit in return.

Then at least we won't have to worry about all the "Gay at the 4" talk that has some people completely freaked at the prospect of nellieball.