So, is Marvin living up to expectations? (split)

How is Bagley comparing to your expectations?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
random bump but I wanted to talk about MArvin and didnt want to make a new thread.

I didn't originally make this a thread and don't want to jinx him so I'm gonna copy and paste my comments from the 1st page of the following 2018 draftee's thread, from July 2017 instead.

out of your list, who do you think has the most potential to be a franchise player?
Well thats a tough call, I really like all of those players and some of them appear to have immense pro potential.

Marvin Bagley III, who's expected to join the freshman class before the end of next month is probably the easiest answer. He figures to be rather impossible to guard on the break, and his game is sorta like a Blake Griffin / Amare Stoudemire / Lamar Odom fusion.. He's hands-down one of the best bigmen I've ever seen play in HS, possibly even the best... He's also got a defined position at PF.
Bagley's 'positional question-marks' are the easiest to debunk, to me his position is PF/C/SF... He can play C in the NBA vs certain matchups, vs the Rudy Gobert's and Whiteside's he can't stack up in the paint with. Bagley also has SF level skills up his sleeve, he's got an excellent 1st step and budding ball-skills, he's got a wicked amount of hand-eye coordination agility and explosiveness. He's an obvious franchise big and a supreme 'new age PF' prospect, built for 20-10 and 2blocks. Bagley is very fast end-to-end, he's gonna terrorize teams on the break for years. He's been double-teamed his whole career.

Bagley is a lot like Harry Giles, but even more explosive, left-handed, and with no major injuries.. He's the grandson of Jumpin Joe Caldwell. MB III has been a fixture on the HS and even Jr high scouting circuits for years, he's been 6'10 and stuck out like a sore thumb for a long time now. He's is built to punish these Jae Crowder types of SF's you've mentioned. If a team is running, lets say Draymond Green as their big man, Bagley is the perfect type of counter to that..
Bagley isn't good enough to be a primary ball-handler, he can take it coast to coast but mostly he's a finisher with advanced tools as a face-up forward. once he's got a step on the defense it's going to turn into a very high percentage shot. Any of his 3 choices in college will be great showcases, I like USC, they're loaded with pro prospects from guard to C, same with Arizona and Duke.

In the Pro's Bagley would be great on a squad like Philly, to best utilize his talents he needs to be put in an uptempo system, ideally one with a monster C like Embiid so he can wreck havoc without drawing too much attention. He fits well in most every system though. They won't be anywhere close to drafting him but a squad like the Rockets he could make a big impact on.

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
If or when Marvin is able to knock down the 3 ball, watch out. 3 ball and mid range jumper to keep guys honest. His stroke looks good enough.

I believe we are seeing why Sac selected him instead of Doncic. Elite athleticism, high motor, quick jumper, able to contribute with raw skills, potential to be a very, very good defender.

The other thing is he really has been looking better and better each game.....this game last night compared to SL and preseason is night and day

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think last night we saw just a little of what Bagley is going to be doing in the NBA for years to come. I had no idea he could have that kind of offensive performance against an elite team in the 2nd game of the season. For a 19-year old kid, it was phenomenal. As Grant Napear said, every game he seems to get better. He's absorbing the information the coaches give him and incorporating it into his game at a very fast rate.

The knocks on him coming out of college were that he didn't play defense, didn't pass and only goes left. He's already made improvements on his weaknesses. I can wait a year for him to work on that 3pt shot. I have no doubt that if he wants that in his game, he'll make it happen.

The knocks on him coming out of college were that he didn't play defense, didn't pass and only goes left. He's already made improvements on his weaknesses. I can wait a year for him to work on that 3pt shot. I have no doubt that if he wants that in his game, he'll make it happen.
The best improvement comes between the rookie and sophomore year. I thought he might be very good but it was going to be a slow year. He’s improving faster than most thought. I would not trade him straight up for Doncic at this point.

I look at the way AD played yesterday, doug and grant mentioned it a couple times, AD doing everything and not even shooting 3s. running the floor, putbacks, on the block, alley oops, hustle, drawing fouls etc...thats what bagley needs to eat with... and if he develops some outside shooting...watch out.

I expect quite a bit from him from what ive seen. He looks like he is 100% engaged in every moment of the game. Hes a busy body. He was able to out-footwork both Crowder and Davis so far, beating them in ISO situations. Even if Crowder were 6 inches taller he still would have gotten scored on by Bagley. This guy looks like he is in every play.

I look at the way AD played yesterday, doug and grant mentioned it a couple times, AD doing everything and not even shooting 3s. running the floor, putbacks, on the block, alley oops, hustle, drawing fouls etc...thats what bagley needs to eat with... and if he develops some outside shooting...watch out.
Are you saying Bagley has some AD in him?

I think Bagley will be starting once Bogdan gets back, in early November.

I think Coach is waiting for Bogdan to come back and get another ball handler in the starting line up, before he takes Yogi out of the starting line up.

Once Bogdan is back, Buddy will slide back to shooting guard and Bogdan at small forward and Bagley will get the start at PF.

I don’t think Joeger can keep Bagley out of starting lineup much longer.

I saw some nice outside shots from him in college and have liked his shot even if they are not falling right now.
Do I want him taking them like cousins did toward the end here NO I do not.

I have always thought he is a beast or will be one from 15 feet in. I would like to see him on PNR or

Well just become what we all believe you can be.

I want to see a few more games out of Bagley before I get too excited.
I know Joerger has a balancing act with all the bigs but please no more 12min repeats of game 1 for Marvin. Then hopefully there is reason for some of the Donic or bust contingent to come around.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I want to see a few more games out of Bagley before I get too excited.
I know Joerger has a balancing act with all the bigs but please no more 12min repeats of game 1 for Marvin. Then hopefully there is reason for some of the Donic or bust contingent to come around.
I've already come around!

Bagley is looking like a future impact player. I wasn't expecting him to look so good against AD. Kid is raw as hell but my bust fears are already out the window watching him impact a game with his still limited skill set.

I've already come around!

Bagley is looking like a future impact player. I wasn't expecting him to look so good against AD. Kid is raw as hell but my bust fears are already out the window watching him impact a game with his still limited skill set.
That puts a tear in my eye, well not really but if I was that type perhaps.
I would have been 100% fine with Luka as well, but recon that the young group of bigs are keenly aware they must adapt or go the way of the dinosaur. Fox and Bagley in time should be solid as it gets.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I split this into a new thread since it's a new discussion. Bagley on the court is a different discussion than Bagley on paper. :)

I added a poll, which will close in one week. I'd like to see how first impressions end up comparing mid season and at other key points during the year.

Last edited:
He's been exceeding my earlier set expectations in this short regular season. I need to see more skill overall to be a believer, but the athleticism is certainly as advertised.

I don't know about expectations, but he looks pretty good and that's with some clear areas that need work. He's just oozing potential and is already contributing at a good clip. Really excited for his future.

He's doing what I thought he would do at about this time.. Avg 25 or so mins per game and getting about 13/7 stat wise. He's showing he might have a future, but damn so I wish we go Trae Young instead and built around that gut.

I don't think so either, but We shall see!

Again, we shall see!

Anyhow, I am good with Bagley. He has done what I have expected so far, but has shown some glimpses of how he will be in the future when he can put it all together.
The possibilties are endless with Bagley. Seems like he has the work ethic, attitude and elite physical ability to be real special. I wish we can fast forward 2-3 years and see what Fox and Bagley will be like.

The best improvement comes between the rookie and sophomore year. I thought he might be very good but it was going to be a slow year. He’s improving faster than most thought. I would not trade him straight up for Doncic at this point.
I'm pretty much in this boat. I thought he would be great but it would take a year or two. He's showing long spurts of goodness already.

We Bagley fans from the beginning do not hold it against you as we all see different things and come to the think of who we want.

By mid season last year I was sold on Bagley and also was sold on Fox last year where we were picking.

This team needed a quick aggressive smart point guard and a skilled power forward and a coach willing to implement a offense to exploit their skills.

I'm loving what I've seen from Bagley so far, but I remember what happened to Fox last year. He had a couple of early successes, but then he found out what it means when NBA defenses have film on you. Wall and Lillard absolutely destroyed him. I think Fox's injury in December-January could have been the best thing that happened to him because he had to sit and watch and learn for a while. When he came back after the All Star break, he was vastly improved. So I want to see how Bagley responds once the defenses have some film on him. Then, I think, we'll have a clearer picture on his likely development path.