So, how's "the trade" looking now? (split)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The Boogie trade has now become

Boogie for Buddy (top three shooter in the league), Justin Jackson (solid 3-and-D guy now who can still get better and better), Frank Mason (overall impact TBD third PG), and Harry Giles (potentially the most exciting/intriguing prospect in Kings history aside from Demarcus himself). And the cap room we gained from the expiring contracts we acquired in the move went on to indirectly become Shump.

I ripped on Vlade haaaaaard for the Boogie trade but he essentially made over the entire team culture in one fell swoop.

Boogie for Buddy (top three shooter in the league), Justin Jackson (solid 3-and-D guy now who can still get better and better), Frank Mason (overall impact TBD third PG), and Harry Giles (potentially the most exciting/intriguing prospect in Kings history aside from Demarcus himself). And the cap room we gained from the expiring contracts we acquired in the move went on to indirectly become Shump.

I ripped on Vlade haaaaaard for the Boogie trade but he essentially made over the entire team culture in one fell swoop.
Imagine what he could have done with the offer he had 2 days earlier :p

I will die on the hill that Fox needs to be included in that trade!!

The trade certainly looks good now. And I fully admit to not liking it at all when it went down. But, aside from not wanting to trade Big Cuz, I really felt the KINGS could have received more in return. And as we later found out, that was essentially true. Imagine if Vlade had netted that extra 1st round pick in the deal?

Who knows what player's name might also be on your list above. It might very well be someone from this 2019 class -- one in which the Pels appear to be lottery bound.

Not to mention, trading Cuz that season allowed us to properly tank and get Bagley...

And YUP... I was PISSED at that trade... was borderline walking in Brick's footseps... thought the franchise was basically done for ten years. I admit I was wrong... but I'd make that trade again even as is... and as is it is as huge win, another pick and it would have been the greatest trade in franchise history, as is, it's simply an excellent trade. Even without Boogie's injury (sorry for him).

And that's still taking the conservative view where you don't throw Fox in as a "return on the trade" (which many people do).

Funny, i actually listened to Carmichael Dave’s doom and gloom radio show with Kayte from the night the trade news first broke. What a time

And that's still taking the conservative view where you don't throw Fox in as a "return on the trade" (which many people do).
At one point it was "well maybe we don't get Fox but we'd get DSJ or Mitchell". Which was a fine take before the start of this season. Suddenly Fox is top of his class, but to be fair we'll have to re-evaluate this one in 2-3 seasons.

At one point it was "well maybe we don't get Fox but we'd get DSJ or Mitchell". Which was a fine take before the start of this season. Suddenly Fox is top of his class, but to be fair we'll have to re-evaluate this one in 2-3 seasons.
it just depends on whether you believe we could have kept Cousins and still finished in the bottom 10. some people think tanking WITH Cousins remained an option, which is fine.

At this point, I would take Buddy over a HEALTHY Cousins any day of the week straight up. The fact that we got the other goodies is just a bonus. Buddy is an elite scorer and a great locker room guy and teammate. Cousins destroys the chemistry on teams while putting up huge numbers.

In my opinion, this is the reason we have been able to turn this thing around and it all started with that trade.

it just depends on whether you believe we could have kept Cousins and still finished in the bottom 10. some people think tanking WITH Cousins remained an option, which is fine.
This team has never been able to just blow games on purpose the way others have. But as I unfortunately remember the team did like to sit Cousins at the end of the season which meant there were 2-3 years there where I had Blazers tickets just to see him come to town and he rested. Infuriating.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Still love Boogie.

Still want him to get that ring even with it including cheering the f’ing Warriors.

Still will never ever root against him, even when he’s playing against the Kings. (Potential 1 vs 8 playoff scenario not included in previous statement)

That said? I was wrong, and Vlade killed it. I honestly don’t know if he killed it on purpose, or if he kind of bumbled his way and everything just fell into place perfectly... either way, he killed it.

Still love Boogie.

Still want him to get that ring even with it including cheering the f’ing Warriors.

Still will never ever root against him, even when he’s playing against the Kings. (Potential 1 vs 8 playoff scenario not included in previous statement)

That said? I was wrong, and Vlade killed it. I honestly don’t know if he killed it on purpose, or if he kind of bumbled his way and everything just fell into place perfectly... either way, he killed it.
My old man always told me "its better to be lucky than good".

gunks

Hall of Famer
Vlade ended up with a crazy haul for Boogie. It's going to look better as the players he got for him continue to improve.

I still hate how the trade actually went down, but at this point I can't even gripe about it. It would be like telling somebody they are an idiot for playing the lotto AFTER they hit a multi million dollar jackpot.

Funny you bring this up. I've been toying with the idea of posting a '2017 Re-Draft' thread -- just to demonstrate how things have changed since this time last season. I was telling someone the other day that LA LeBron fans are still delusional over Lonzo and can't admit he wouldn't go top 5 in a re-draft done today. Also, I think it's arguable he was the LA LeBron's worst 1st round pick that year as Kuzman and even Jason Hart have played better.

IDK where D-Fox would go on most boards, but likely top 1 to 3.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Funny you bring this up. I've been toying with the idea of posting a '2017 Re-Draft' thread -- just to demonstrate how things have changed since this time last season. I was telling someone the other day that LA LeBron fans are still delusional over Lonzo and can't admit he wouldn't go top 5 in a re-draft done today. Also, I think it's arguable he was the LA LeBron's worst 1st round pick that year as Kuzman and even Jason Hart have played better.

IDK where D-Fox would go on most boards, but likely top 1 to 3.
Suggestion: That's the perfect kind of thread for TDOS.

Acutally, wait, it would have gone to Philly right? Instead of next year's?
We won the third pick but Philly swapped with us where we picked Fox. Maybe we were still under the dreaded Chicago pick hell where if we picked higher than 10th they got it. since we never did they got 2 seconds instead.

Incidentally, Philly used our pick on Tatum and traded him to the Celtics plus our 2019 pick for Fultz.....

We won the third pick but Philly swapped with us where we picked Fox. Maybe we were still under the dreaded Chicago pick hell where if we picked higher than 10th they got it. since we never did they got 2 seconds instead.

Incidentally, Philly used our pick on Tatum and traded him to the Celtics plus our 2019 pick for Fultz.....
Yes, it was the Chicago pick. We would have finished 10-13th that year most likely.
Thx for clarifications. In retrospect the move was a stroke of genius in nearly every way.

I'll note there is another benefit to not having a first round pick of any kind next year: no contract obligation. Maybe not a pure benefit, but still a plus, when looking at whole picture. We'd be forced to take on salary and use a roster spot that will now go towards a free agent signing and resigning who we want. if we're going to forego a first round pick this is the year to do it.

Last edited: