Small Forward Free Agency Riches

Well it looks to be the summer of the small forward. The Hawks are seriously trying to trade Josh Smith, Hedo Turkoglu opted out of his deal, becoming a free agent, and Lamar Odom, Shawn Marion, Trevor Ariza, and Ron Artest are all also unrestricted free agents to be. On a lesser level, Charlie Villeanueva, David Lee, and Marvin Williams are restricted free agents to be. They are all a bit old for the Kings (Smith and the RFAs aside), but each has some appeal.

Is anyone interested in an upgrade at the 3 spot through free agency, or should we just use the Nocioni/Garcia/Greene tandem and add to it with the draft?

I would love to get a new SF, but there just isnt any way we can afford to have another one on this team until we get rid of Nocioni. I single him out because he does the least, you keep greene cause he is a prospect and he is cheap. You keep Garcia because we know what he can do, and he can play the pg ( if need be ) SG, and SF spots and plays the same weather he is starting or coming off the bench. Nocioni makes too much money and he really isnt that valuable .. Until we get out of this logjam I dont see how we can justify adding another SF.

I would love to get a new SF, but there just isnt any way we can afford to have another one on this team until we get rid of Nocioni. I single him out because he does the least, you keep greene cause he is a prospect and he is cheap. You keep Garcia because we know what he can do, and he can play the pg ( if need be ) SG, and SF spots and plays the same weather he is starting or coming off the bench. Nocioni makes too much money and he really isnt that valuable .. Until we get out of this logjam I don't see how we can justify adding another SF.
A sign and trade of our small forward of choice for Nocioni might be good for both sides. Noc has that backloaded contract that gets cheaper with each year.

At Least We're Talking About A Logjam At Sf Now Instead Of The Logjam At Pf That Was Discussed The Previous 3-4 Offseasons. I Think Ariza Would Fit In Nicely Though If We Could Move Noc.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I would love to have Josh Smith. He's still very young, he's a good rebounder and shotblocker, and he's got a bit of a post game already he can work on. If he figures out the jumpshot he'll be really scary. We'd probably have to give them our draft pick though. Maybe we could make it a protected future pick instead? He would fit very nicely in our SF spot, fit the youth movement (dude's still only 23) and improve our defense right away. I don't know why Atlanta even bothered extending his contract if they were going to give up on him a year later. Maybe they want Marvin Williams back instead?

Draftexpress also has this little tidbit:

Atlanta is reportedly looking to package the #19 pick along with Speedy Claxton's contract, in order to clear additional cap room, likely to resign Mike Bibby. 80% of Claxton’s contract (5.2 million) will be picked up by an insurance company, making this a relatively cheap investment for a team with cap room looking to acquire another pick.
That could be a way to get a PG if we don't get one at #4.

I would love to have Josh Smith. He's still very young, he's a good rebounder and shotblocker, and he's got a bit of a post game already he can work on. If he figures out the jumpshot he'll be really scary. We'd probably have to give them our draft pick though. Maybe we could make it a protected future pick instead? He would fit very nicely in our SF spot, fit the youth movement (dude's still only 23) and improve our defense right away. I don't know why Atlanta even bothered extending his contract if they were going to give up on him a year later. Maybe they want Marvin Williams back instead?

Draftexpress also has this little tidbit:

That could be a way to get a PG if we don't get one at #4.
I got a few issues with Smith, one being he is a terrible shooter who loves to shoot. He really hurt the hawks at times last year, falling in love with the three ball that he cant shoot. Another thing is Chad Ford said in his chat today that he has a 7.2 million dollar trade kicker making him a lot harder to move than origionallly thought.

All in all though, he is a defensive player which is something we need, but until we make room for him I dont touch this trade.

Speaking of Ron, if you use Twitter add him.

Real_Ron_Artest

One of his tweets yesterday was he's going to start Black Haiku's. Instead of 5-7-5 they are going to be 36-24-36

Today: Me and Bugs Bunny are gonna star in Space Jam 2 with Aliens led by Sam Cassell and Shelden Williams. But this time me and Bugs get Gats

Immediately after that

Someone just called my tube socks ironic. Somone needs to teach this brotha a lesson on vitmains.
SOCKS=NOT NUTRITIONAL..

It's pure comedy.

if Rubio was off the table, would you guys be willing to take the #4 for Josh Smith? (help hawks save $$$ and get a guy like Jordan Hill in return, a more true and athletic PF who will allow M-Will to slide to the 3)

With vince carter to orlando its almost certain hedo wont be reuping with them. I could see us putting an offer him, after going so far with orlando and not having them make a dedicated push to bring him back he will want to be loved, the familiarity we offer is our strength if we do want to resign him. Cost is the issue though and we have a logjam of sorts at the SF pos.

With vince carter to orlando its almost certain hedo wont be reuping with them. I could see us putting an offer him, after going so far with orlando and not having them make a dedicated push to bring him back he will want to be loved, the familiarity we offer is our strength if we do want to resign him. Cost is the issue though and we have a logjam of sorts at the SF pos.
Why would he come to Sacramento when he will get an offer from a play-off team. I think Portland will be first in with the offer.

Why would he come to Sacramento when he will get an offer from a play-off team. I think Portland will be first in with the offer.
Agreed. Although I'd love to see Hedo here, and wouldn't even mind if he was, I'd rather him succeed elsewhere, and not lose during the years of his prime.

Plus, I'd rather keep developing our guys, even if that means losing games.

$$$. In a SnT type deal, we might get him on a 6 year deal(don't like that idea), and we could offer about 10-12 million a year(I hope we don't). We can send Noc back, and Orlando gets an adequate replacement for half the price on half the contract.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
$$$. In a SnT type deal, we might get him on a 6 year deal(don't like that idea), and we could offer about 10-12 million a year(I hope we don't). We can send Noc back, and Orlando gets an adequate replacement for half the price on half the contract.

That would be a totally out of control contract for us at this point. Only way I can conceive of something like that, and way that I would come out in favor of getting Hedo, is if we made a strong move toward competing now, as in next season. Something like the old Jason Thompson+KT+pick centered deals for Bosh or Amare. If that were the case then a Evans/Martin/Hedo/Bosh/Hawes quintet with Cisco off the bench would be an instant playoff contender and worth the expense.

I'd rather pursue this route -

think we should pursue Andrei Kirilenko in trade using our cap space(somethign Utah may need for Millsap, ESPECIALLY if Boozer OPTS INTO his deal).

What if we did something like this:

Kings deal: Andres Nocioni and Beno Udrih ~ Roughly 13 million dollars
Jazz deal: Andrei Kirilenko and Kyle Korver ~ Roughly 20 million dollars

Kings get out of 2 longer term contracts, while the Jazz free up 7 million dollars to re-sign Millsap and can wait on Boozer to expire or deal him. They also get an AK replacement in Nocioni and a vet b/u PG for Williams.

Kirilenko is the perfect fit that could be had using our spare parts. He's a VERY willing passer, a great weakside help defender, runs the floor well and has improved his outside jumper quite a bit.

I think he may be a GREAT target for us and his deal expires in two years, thus saving the Maloofs money over the long haul.

Our new roster:

C: Hawes, Diogu(resigned cheaply)
PF: Thompson, Brockman, Thomas
SF: Kirilenko, Greene, Casspi
SG: Martin, Garcia, Korver
PG: Evans, Rodriguez

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Well it looks to be the summer of the small forward. The Hawks are seriously trying to trade Josh Smith, Hedo Turkoglu opted out of his deal, becoming a free agent, and Lamar Odom, Shawn Marion, Trevor Ariza, and Ron Artest are all also unrestricted free agents to be. On a lesser level, Charlie Villeanueva, David Lee, and Marvin Williams are restricted free agents to be. They are all a bit old for the Kings (Smith and the RFAs aside), but each has some appeal.

Is anyone interested in an upgrade at the 3 spot through free agency, or should we just use the Nocioni/Garcia/Greene tandem and add to it with the draft?
Regarding Smith, I'm not interested in a 4 who really wants to play like a 3. We want to add toughness, not softness. I like Williams, but the Kings are stocked at the 3. We need a backup at the 4/5.

Ariza?

At Least We're Talking About A Logjam At Sf Now Instead Of The Logjam At Pf That Was Discussed The Previous 3-4 Offseasons. I Think Ariza Would Fit In Nicely Though If We Could Move Noc.
I would like to have him, but I think he's just testing the waters. That ring is looking pretty good on his finger. I think he will resign with the Lakers. Damn Lakers!:mad:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I don't get moving in this direction, we have two potentially promising young guys who are going to be fighting with Cisco and Noc for minutes. I think you have to move 2 of them before you even look at adding another.

Note: I started this thread well before the draft (the day Hedo opted out if I remember right). That was before we added yet another SF guaranteed contract in Casspi. With the Kings clearing cap space at the deadline I was wondering which top level free agents would be available, and I was surprised to see so many of them being small forwards. Just our luck, eh :(?

The Kings biggest need now is a back-up center. They even have enough guys to play the 4 if they use some of their small forwards in that role. Right now Spencer and JT (to some extent) are the only players on the roster capable of logging NBA minutes at center. They should be trying to add that piece through free agency or via trade. We have another thread about that subject here.

If/when Ike Diogu is resigned he should only be used as a PF. He should never play any minutes in the NBA as a center unless he is playing garbage minutes or against the shortest front lines in the league. He is not the answer as a back-up center!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Regarding Smith, I'm not interested in a 4 who really wants to play like a 3. We want to add toughness, not softness. I like Williams, but the Kings are stocked at the 3. We need a backup at the 4/5.

Thing is Smith is and has always been a 3 playing ou of positon at 4. he;s way way too small for a PF. Just plays there because of Atlanta;s softness and his unwillingness to work on his game. He is an idiot though.

I'd rather pursue this route -

think we should pursue Andrei Kirilenko in trade using our cap space(somethign Utah may need for Millsap, ESPECIALLY if Boozer OPTS INTO his deal).

What if we did something like this:

Kings deal: Andres Nocioni and Beno Udrih ~ Roughly 13 million dollars
Jazz deal: Andrei Kirilenko and Kyle Korver ~ Roughly 20 million dollars

Kings get out of 2 longer term contracts, while the Jazz free up 7 million dollars to re-sign Millsap and can wait on Boozer to expire or deal him. They also get an AK replacement in Nocioni and a vet b/u PG for Williams.

Kirilenko is the perfect fit that could be had using our spare parts. He's a VERY willing passer, a great weakside help defender, runs the floor well and has improved his outside jumper quite a bit.

I think he may be a GREAT target for us and his deal expires in two years, thus saving the Maloofs money over the long haul.

Our new roster:

C: Hawes, Diogu(resigned cheaply)
PF: Thompson, Brockman, Thomas
SF: Kirilenko, Greene, Casspi
SG: Martin, Garcia, Korver
PG: Evans, Rodriguez

Very Very Very well thought out smart trade that would be excellent both for the Kings and the Jazz. Jazz get a tough Sloan type player in Nocioni and a backup to Williams in Udrih. We get a deadly shooter off the bench and a great defender that will split time with Greene and Casspi who are versatile enough to play sub minutes for JT at PF. Good trade email this to Petrie hahaha.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Thing is Smith is and has always been a 3 playing ou of positon at 4. he;s way way too small for a PF. Just plays there because of Atlanta;s softness and his unwillingness to work on his game. He is an idiot though.
And its the fact that he's an idiot that steers me away from him. With a young team, you don't need any type of poison pills. I do think, because of their youth, the team needs some lockerroom leadership. I don't see it coming from Martin, but who knows, maybe he's more assertive off camera. Thats where someone like Hedo, who would be respected, would be valuable. Maybe Hawes. Its his third year, and he's certainly outspoken. But someone needs to step up and take control.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Very Very Very well thought out smart trade that would be excellent both for the Kings and the Jazz. Jazz get a tough Sloan type player in Nocioni and a backup to Williams in Udrih. We get a deadly shooter off the bench and a great defender that will split time with Greene and Casspi who are versatile enough to play sub minutes for JT at PF. Good trade email this to Petrie hahaha.
I don't think Utah wants to part with Korver. I think you could pry Lurch (Kirilenko) from them. But Sloan really likes Korver's toughness and ability to shoot the ball.

i wouldnt mind the utah trade either, but didnt they draft maynor to back up williams?

If you had your choice between Millsap and Korver, who do you take?
Why choose between the two? Millsap is a PF and Korver is a SF. They both bring to completely different styles of play to the Jazz, and I think Sloan feels that they probably need both to be most effective.