Should Kings stretch ZBo?(split)

Should Kings stretch ZBo's salary instead of looking for a trade/salary dump later?

• Total voters
Expiring contracts at the deadline are just like unused caproom in the summer. It allows the Kings to accept bloated contracts either for good players who are way overpaid (Wiggins, Otto Porter etc) or poor players that teams will attach extra assets to just to get them off the books (Ryan Anderson, Melo etc).

I will bet my mortgage on it. No one is taking Randolph on a salary dump. Especially, when 2/3 of the teams will have money to spend next year. Kings are stuck with Randolph. The only smart thing to so is waive and stretch his remaining salary

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will bet my mortgage on it. No one is taking Randolph on a salary dump. Especially, when 2/3 of the teams will have money to spend next year. Kings are stuck with Randolph. The only smart thing to so is waive and stretch his remaining salary
There's no reason to stretch him for multiple seasons when he comes off the books next summer.

The Kings don't need any extra caproom right now.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
It is pretty clear you haven't got a slightest clue how contracts or the stretch works, isn't it?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Hopefully to go after the best FA available.

I’m looking/anticipating the headline
Unless we want to offer Smart or Capella over 20 million+ it's not necessary. And if we did, rest assure the same Vlade is an idiot crowd would scream what an idiot he is even louder as we're capped out on thanks to spending big on a player who will likely be coming off the bench in a year or two.

Whether you love Vlade or hate him, I think all of us are in agreement that he paid far too heavy a price to get the cap flexibility we have right now, but that doesn't mean it can burn a hole in our pocket and put us right back into the position of the teams that blew it.

ZBo is worth more as a trade chip. Especially since for teams actually trying to make a run at high priced free agents his contract coming off the books at the end of the season will be a boon.

But no, we should stretch him and pay that contract off over the next three years instead of signing more players now to hit the floor?

No. no. no.

I don't think Z-Bo has much value right now, even as an ender, and a vet who can still score. I have mad respect for him, and what he's achieved despite his athletic limitations, but the game has morphed too much. It would have been tough for any big man to keep up, much less for a guy who was never athletic to begin with, and is only getting older.

That said, I do believe that Kosta and Shump could net us something. Not too much, given that they might be rentals for teams that trade for them, but we might be able to add to our pile of second round picks. Both can still help teams trying to make playoffs, and get us something small in return.

Why would we stretch him when he comes off the books next year?

If the aim is to make a run at Capella, I wonder if the Rockets would be interested in a trade for Willie. If they lose Capella for nothing, they have no way to replace him, and would have lost another big piece for nothing. Willie is a good, young player, who might perform much better with two MVP level players breathing down his neck. That also gives them the option to sign him to a long term contract.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Even if he has zero value and is a locker room cancer we can afford to waive him. There is not a single reason to stretch him. Not to open a roster slot and not to sign some imaginary free agent that doesn't exist. Even if we really want to overpay for Smart or Capella we could do this with a sign and trade for any number of our expiring contracts.

I think the most likely scenario is that the Kings keep him until the trade deadline.

They will try to trade him as an ender contract. If that doesn't come to fruition, they will release him after the trade deadline so he can latch onto a playoff team to finish his career.

I think the most likely scenario is that the Kings keep him until the trade deadline.

They will try to trade him as an ender contract. If that doesn't come to fruition, they will release him after the trade deadline so he can latch onto a playoff team to finish his career.
I think they are going to assign him to Bagley and Giles to learn post moves or ZBo will kick their ass. Bagley in particular should be made to follow ZBo around like his personal valet and learn everything possible from the man. ZBo has forgotten more about positioning and angles than Bagley knows.

It is pretty clear you haven't got a slightest clue how contracts or the stretch works, isn't it?
It's okay not knowing about the stretch provision. I'm pretty sure Vlade didn't know about the stretch provision either when he traded Landry, Thompson, Staukus, pick swaps, and next year's first round pick for nothing. It gave us the ability to have some salary cap room to sign, Rondo, Bellinelli, or Koufos? Could turn out to be the worst trade ever? It couldn't be worse than Hall of Famers Robert Parrish and Kevin McKale for Joe Berry Carrol and Rickey -who - Brown- could it? Too early to say.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It's okay not knowing about the stretch provision. I'm pretty sure Vlade didn't know about the stretch provision either when he traded Landry, Thompson, Staukus, pick swaps, and next year's first round pick for nothing. It gave us the ability to have some salary cap room to sign, Rondo, Bellinelli, or Koufos? Could turn out to be the worst trade ever? It couldn't be worse than Hall of Famers Robert Parrish and Kevin McKale for Joe Berry Carrol and Rickey -who - Brown- could it? Too early to say.
We have a thread for dumping on Vlade. This isn't it.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
The stretch provision is not a magic bullet. We made a bad trade that looks extremely foolish in hindsight but it aligned with the fact the Kings were trying to build around the most talented player we had seen in a decade. It doesn't even compare to what the Nets gave up to Boston for two over the hill former all-stars, let alone what most historians argue is the single worst trade of all time.

It does however show that banking on free agents to come to Sacramento after clearing space is a horrid idea, which is why we're far better off trying to move the assets we have for future assets even if their quality is unknown than just freeing up space at any cost. Especially when there is nobody to sign with that space right now and we still have to sign someone just to hit the salary floor.

We should trade ZBo, McLemore, Shumpert, Kosta, and an unprotected first in 2022, plus maybe a couple pick swaps for the right to some foreign guys and a future second rounder or something like that. great move for cap relief.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Actually it's not too early to say. Try to set your prejudice aside for a minute and look at the names in your post. Vlade traded two guys that are no longer in the league and one guy who's only marginally hanging on in order to clear space to sign three players that are still playing one of them is still a productive member of the team. If you think it still wasn't worth the loss of picks and a pick swap fine, but we did not get rid of valuable commodities on the court. I'm glad he DID bring in guys who could play.

Last edited:
I don’t think you’ve ever brought up that trade before, have you? Glad you got it off your chest. ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
MOD NOTE: This thread is not going to turn into another "Dump on Vlade" thread. The question at hand is pretty obvious. Further attempts to inject anti-Vlade rhetoric (repeatedly) will be deleted. In addition, if you post a quote from a published article YOU MUST give proper attribution AND a link back to the original article. NO EXCEPTIONS