Shawn Kemp?

Clearly the answer to our PF issues. :p ;)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2380701&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

HOUSTON -- Former Seattle SuperSonic and Orlando Magic player Shawn Kemp says he's ready to get back in the game after three years of retirement from the NBA.

Kemp, 36, retired voluntarily from the Magic in 2003, citing weight issues. During his last NBA season he weighed as much as 320 pounds, but he has slimmed down to 270 pounds through an intensive exercise regime, he said.

"I've sat out this whole season to get in tip top shape to make a comeback," Kemp said in an interview with Houston television station KRIV.

The athlete's Houston-based agent, Tony Dutt, said he felt the weight loss would definitely rekindle Kemp's career.

"I was basically relaying the information the GMs were giving me: 'Until he loses the weight, we don't care if he can score 30 points a game. When he loses the weight, give us a call,"' Dutt said. "So there are going to be some phones ringing."

The former All-Star faced troubles other than weight loss during his career, which began when he was drafted by Seattle in 1989. He took a leave of absence during the 2000-01 season to enter a substance abuse program and violated the league's anti-drug policy three times.

Most recently, a Seattle judge sentenced him in May 2005 to five days of electronic home monitoring, a year's probation and a $440 fine after he pleaded guilty to attempted possession of more than 40 grams of marijuana.

Kemp said those problems were behind him and he was ready to recharge his NBA career with an enthusiastic comeback.

"My love for the game is very, very high," Kemp said. "I've made a living off of this game. I'm not coming back to play basketball for any financial reasons."

"I'm not playing just to make someone's roster. I'm not just playing to make a comeback. My hopes and dreams are to be in the Hall of Fame one day."

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
LPKingsFan said:
Yes. I expected you out of all people to catch the sarcasm, Slim!
I did; that was me playing the straight-man. It was actually an homage to one of my favorite That '70s Show episodes:

Foreman: I got [Donna] a gift that... really says something... a diamond engagement ring!

(pause)

Kelso: As a joke?

Foreman: No. You guys... I'm gonna ask Donna to marry me!

(pause)

Kelso: As a joke?

Aw, what's not to love? The guy was a beast! :D

P.S. Thought this years' all star jerseys were bad?

And yes, I do have a final paper due tomorrow. That's why I'm posting.

Sign Kemp! Seriously I think we should do it. It can't hurt much can it? If he gets some minutes and comes off the bench and produces while playing D, he'll help us a lot. If not we'll have what we have now and it'll only have cost us the minimum. We have a roster spot open anyways.

BMiller52 said:
Sign Kemp! Seriously I think we should do it. It can't hurt much can it? If he gets some minutes and comes off the bench and produces while playing D, he'll help us a lot. If not we'll have what we have now and it'll only have cost us the minimum. We have a roster spot open anyways.
You're kidding, right? Just what we need...

LPKingsFan said:

Pretty amazing to see him like that actually after the way his career kind of fizzled in disgrace. And yeah, what horrendous allstar jerseys, they rival our gold ones!

Wasn't that the year Mitch won the MVP?

LPKingsFan said:

HAHA! Ya joking right?

M

MrBiggs

BMiller52 said:
Shawn Kemp didn't even play D when he was in his prime. What would make you think he'd D-up now? :confused:

LPKingsFan said:

IHUM? PWR?

CoHo? FroSoCo? J-Lo?

Last edited:

Ryan

I like turtles
BMiller52 said:
I agree. I mean, why not? Sure he's a crack head, but he gives us some much needed mustle