Sell out streak in danger?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
What the hell? I just received a very interesting e-mail from the Maloofs as a season ticket holder -- they offered me/us a chance to purchase extra tickets to the game tommorow night. I chekced out of curiosity -- there were a LOT of tickets available.

That would seem to suggest that the Sacramento Kings have actually failed to sell out tommorow night's home game. I've received those notices (and calls) from the Nets before as they desperately tried to fill up their airplane hangar of a stadium, but to get a notice from the Kings is relatively shocking.

The Bulls are hardly a choice opponent, but has the fanbase really deteriorated to such a degree that the sell out streak is in danger coming off of 4 50+ win seasons???

Had I been able to get to Sacramento, I would have loved to get my hands on those tickets :(

Well this might get the Maloofs thinking a really tiny bit. But nothing to worry about.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
HndsmCelt said:
Interesting, butnever underestimate a game time sell out.
Oh, I assume that this one will be taken care of, one way or ther other. But this is literally the first notice I've ever recieved like this from the Kings (had the tickets since 2000). So I'm assuming this is a new phenomenon. Let's hope it doesn't become a pattern.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I honestly think all the negative publicity, rumors, innuendoes, etc. have hurt the team AND the fan base.

I've run in to a lot of people who are convinced (without seeing a game) that Webber has ruined the team, that Pedja is just phoning his game in, and that Ostertag is our starting center.

If, in fact, the streak comes to an end I think a good portion of the blame will have to be laid at the feet of Ailene Voisin and others like her who made sure they tarred the team every single chance they got. Sure, AV may be changing her tune a bit now, but it's awfully late.

Granted, you have to throw in the crap about the arena, the increased ticket price, and the mess Webber created for himself, but that still shouldn't erode the fan base to this extent. Of course, add all the junk about TV rights, etc. and people have a lot of different reasons to be less than excited.

Perhaps it's time for the Maloofs to reach out to their fans just a little more... You know, like coming to a very popular Kings forum and giving away tickets????

Just a thought...

I tried to get two additional season tickets this year(I already have two) and I couldn't get them. I did check on ticketmaster for tomorrow night and the only tickets they had left were for Kings row(they always have 2 seats on Kings row available) and then single seats in the upper level. Should be a sellout.

Revrag

Father, Husband, KingsFan
Staff member
Administrator
Contributor
I got the same email.

All I know is it's been VERY difficult to sell my tickets this year even at face value. It's basically impossible for me to get to the games right now so I've been selling them one game at a time and sometimes it takes a lot of effort to find a buyer. In past years I would have had 10 offers in 5 minutes.

Jeremy said:
I got the same email.

All I know is it's been VERY difficult to sell my tickets this year even at face value. It's basically impossible for me to get to the games right now so I've been selling them one game at a time and sometimes it takes a lot of effort to find a buyer. In past years I would have had 10 offers in 5 minutes.
I can help with that situation. Just let me have 2 hours advance notice.

Jeremy said:
I got the same email.

I really haven't had a problem. I mostly sell them to people I know and the new e-mail/account manager feature is working pretty well. I just e-mail the tickets and the people pay me. Maybe we need a ticket thread started for those of us who need to sell a game "on the quick"???

I actually bought tickets to the Toronto game just hours before tip off. There are additional tickets that are released before events. But, as far as Arco's sellout streak, its a combination of a lot of things I think. What VF21 said, but aslo I think a lot of people are not aware that you can get tickets. A lot of people just assume that there aren't tickets for the public to buy and, well its Chicago and with the "new" fan base, its hard to sell.

ReinadelosReys said:
I actually bought tickets to the Toronto game just hours before tip off. There are additional tickets that are released before events. But, as far as Arco's sellout streak, its a combination of a lot of things I think. What VF21 said, but aslo I think a lot of people are not aware that you can get tickets. A lot of people just assume that there aren't tickets for the public to buy and, well its Chicago and with the "new" fan base, its hard to sell.
Also, if these tickets are not sold, it does not count towards the sellout streak. These tickets have already been purchased by the NBA. If they don't have enough people to give them too, I believe they release them to be re-sold. However, if these don't sell, the NBA still foots the bill and the tickets are still sold.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Jeremy said:
I got the same email.

I'll make you a deal, boss; you pay my airfare, and I'll buy all your extra tickets. ;)

Ryle said:
I tried to get two additional season tickets this year(I already have two) and I couldn't get them. I did check on ticketmaster for tomorrow night and the only tickets they had left were for Kings row(they always have 2 seats on Kings row available) and then single seats in the upper level. Should be a sellout.
I'm in Ryle's situation...if the Maloof's have extra tickets to games they're not doing a great job of letting the fans know (and if you're a season ticket holder, why don't you know sooner or have a chance to increase your number of tickets or improve on your seats?)...if this is true that there are late tickets available then it would be the first time in 20 years (okay in six years) that it would be "easy" to get to a Kings game without knowing a season ticket holder who can't go or forking over the cash to sit in Kings Row (which if I EVER win the lottery I intend to do! :D ).

Rather than lay the blame on one newspaper columnist, I would think (as a local who gets around a bit) that the problems are manifold.

1. The lack of a TV deal last season (if you weren't a die-hard fan, the buzz was waaaay down).

2. The news coverage (I didn't say it didn't matter at all).

3. The disappointing finish to last season.

4. The slow start to this season.

5. The ever increasing ticket prices.

6. The fact that people who aren't season ticket holders don't know that it might be easier to get single game tickets this year.

Sooo, would this be a good or bad thing if there was a ticket thread on the board? I really don't know the answer to this question....I see both the pros and the cons to it.

KK!

Last edited:
My wife and I, especially her because I hate crowds, would probably buy tickets now and then if they were available. Who would have thought that Kings tickets have been available? It was probably a shock to the Maloofs also, otherwise they would certainly have mentioned it on the radio and TV. I hope they buy them all and let people know that tickets are avaialble next time.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I think it would be great to have a Kings Ticket Forum or Thread. My only suggestion is that they can only be offered for face value or below. I don't think we should allow KingsFans.com members to take advantage of other KingsFans.com members. Actually, I think this may already be the policy.

BTW - I am still looking for tickets for the Nov 28th game (the only home game they have while I'm in Sacramento).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
kingskings! said:
Rather than lay the blame on one newspaper columnist, I would think (as a local who gets around a bit) that the problems are manifold.

1. The lack of a TV deal last season (if you weren't a die-hard fan, the buzz was waaaay down).

2. The news coverage (I didn't say it didn't matter at all).

3. The disappointing finish to last season.

4. The slow start to this season.

5. The ever increasing ticket prices.

6. The fact that people who aren't season ticket holders don't know that it might be easier to get single game tickets this year.

Sooo, would this be a good or bad thing if there was a ticket thread on the board? I really don't know the answer to this question....I see both the pros and the cons to it.

KK!
I didn't just blame it on Voisin, if you're referring to my comment. In fact, I specifically said "Voisin and others like her," rather like a journalistic "butterfly effect" if you will. I added:

Granted, you have to throw in the crap about the arena, the increased ticket price, and the mess Webber created for himself, but that still shouldn't erode the fan base to this extent. Of course, add all the junk about TV rights, etc. and people have a lot of different reasons to be less than excited.
There is a lot to be said for power of the press. When major portions of that power seem to be solely consumed with finding every wart, wrinkle, etc. about a team or a specfic player, it can have a very damaging effect.

As far as the "thread" for tickets go, I think the current method of posting "Tickets for ..... game" seems to be working. The problem around here with "dedicated threads" is they NEVER seem to stay dedicated to the topic they were originally created to be dedicated to...

;)

Last edited:
Jeremy said:
I got the same email.

I agree. I've been a season ticket holder for the past 5 yrs and for the first time, this year has been really hard for me to sell tickets. The same people buy tickets from me, which is good, however, I still had quite a few left. I actually tried to sell tonight's game but to no avail.

Bricklayer said:
What the hell? I just received a very interesting e-mail from the Maloofs as a season ticket holder -- they offered me/us a chance to purchase extra tickets to the game tommorow night. I chekced out of curiosity -- there were a LOT of tickets available.

That would seem to suggest that the Sacramento Kings have actually failed to sell out tommorow night's home game. I've received those notices (and calls) from the Nets before as they desperately tried to fill up their airplane hangar of a stadium, but to get a notice from the Kings is relatively shocking.

The Bulls are hardly a choice opponent, but has the fanbase really deteriorated to such a degree that the sell out streak is in danger coming off of 4 50+ win seasons???
Season tickets? don't you live quite far away from Arco arena?

ReinadelosReys said:
I actually bought tickets to the Toronto game just hours before tip off. There are additional tickets that are released before events. .
I have on numerous occasions walked up to box office about 3 hours before the game and purchased relatively inexpensive tickets ($30+-$50+). There are almost always "standing room only" tickets available which are really not as bad as it would seem. I have even walked up during a playoff game (jazz) and purchased tickets at the box office a couple hours before the game started. It's all about timing. It was explained to me that Arco holds a block of tix for dignitaries, media people, and for other special groups. At some point they release those block of tickets to the general public to be sold at the box office if they are going to be unused. Sometimes alot of tickets are available. Othertimes, just a few are. If you time it right there is a pretty good chance chance you'll get those tickets. Remeber though, they only seem to be released a couple hours before the game and NOT early in the day. This hasn't always worked but I would say it happens 3 out of 4 times for me. Of course, I live right across Del Paso and I pass Arco everyday returning from work so it is not a hassle for me to just stop in.

I think the kings lost some of their "charm" this year ...the locker room problems...real or just perceived, Peja wanting out, chris having diarreah of the mouth, vlade leaving, the tv deal I started wondering how much the maloofs really care about the fans for the first time.

Elektrik said:
I have on numerous occasions walked up to box office about 3 hours before the game and purchased relatively inexpensive tickets ($30+-$50+). There are almost always "standing room only" tickets available which are really not as bad as it would seem. I have even walked up during a playoff game (jazz) and purchased tickets at the box office a couple hours before the game started. It's all about timing. It was explained to me that Arco holds a block of tix for dignitaries, media people, and for other special groups. At some point they release those block of tickets to the general public to be sold at the box office if they are going to be unused. Sometimes alot of tickets are available. Othertimes, just a few are. If you time it right there is a pretty good chance chance you'll get those tickets. Remeber though, they only seem to be released a couple hours before the game and NOT early in the day. This hasn't always worked but I would say it happens 3 out of 4 times for me. Of course, I live right across Del Paso and I pass Arco everyday returning from work so it is not a hassle for me to just stop in.
Same thing works on ticketmaster. I usually check during the playoffs in the early afternoon and can grab a couple of extra tickets.

ILV said:
I think the kings lost some of their "charm" this year ...the locker room problems...real or just perceived, Peja wanting out, chris having diarreah of the mouth, vlade leaving, the tv deal I started wondering how much the maloofs really care about the fans for the first time.
I think the fact that all games are on TV makes people not have to go to games to see them. Frankly, I'm going to the game tonight only because the person I was going to sell them to had to go out of town this morning and won't be back until later tonight. Otherwise I would rather stay at home and watch the game on TV.

Ryle said:
I think the fact that all games are on TV makes people not have to go to games to see them. Frankly, I'm going to the game tonight only because the person I was going to sell them to had to go out of town this morning and won't be back until later tonight. Otherwise I would rather stay at home and watch the game on TV.
Not sure last year for 160.00 you could see most of the games on tv, a lot cheaper than going to the games and they sold out last year.

Add me to the list of people who just gave up long ago trying to get tickets because they were literally impossible to obtain. The last time the attempt was made was four years ago for a simple, tepid home game against the Pacers. Completely sold-out, and we had to pay a ticket broker exorbitant fees just to get tickets. I gave up the notion of ever attending a Kings game (except when that nice benefactor gifted myself, VF21, and Prophetess a couple seasons ago) as I assumed all the games would be like that forever.

RoyalDiva said:
Add me to the list of people who just gave up long ago trying to get tickets because they were literally impossible to obtain. The last time the attempt was made was four years ago for a simple, tepid home game against the Pacers. Completely sold-out, and we had to pay a ticket broker exorbitant fees just to get tickets. I gave up the notion of ever attending a Kings game (except when that nice benefactor gifted myself, VF21, and Prophetess a couple seasons ago) as I assumed all the games would be like that forever.

Tickets are there as alot of people sell them. The only time I sell mine above face value is when I put them on ebay and I don't do that very often. With the new ticket procedures at ARCO selling them will be even easier. Basically, once I agree to sell them to someone I just e-mail the tickets to them and they are valid(sounds weird but it does work). I just have the person put the money in my paypal account and then I e-mail them.....really easy. If I sell any I will go ahead and let everyone know on the site and whoever is the first to take the tickets will get them. My 2 seats are $95 which includes the "super-preferred" parking and gets you your own parking space about 100 feet from the entrance to ARCO. I may have some available for the Milwaukee game on Sunday.....I'm am selling about 5 games to a friend and he is currently out of town and I haven't been able to get a hold of him. I'll let people know.

i was lurking around the internet, here are what i found.

1. there are no season pass available for the Kings on ebay.:eek: ( and they say you can find everything)
2. over 90% of the tickets are sold to season pass holders.
3. if you look under nba.com/kings, under the game notes it says including tonight, the kings have sold out 229 consecutive home games at arco, including season and playoffs.

i am planning on flying out there either next spring or fall, it seems i'd have to get tickets way in advance.