Season Ticket Price Increases?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This is concerning to me, even though I am not an STH.

Kim ‏@KalsKorner 22m22 minutes ago
My renewal for next season is #unfreakinbelievable. 14.4% increase. Need partner(s) or I'm OUT. #HelpSaveMySeats

They're raising ticket prices 14.4%????? For what we've seen thus far on the court there is no way on earth I would be happy with that. In fact, I firmly believe they should be giving rebates to STH because of the exorbitant prices they paid.

I also think the premium game pricing needs to be looked at very closely. When the Cavs come to town AND LEBRON JAMES DOESN'T EVEN PLAY, that's not a premium game.

I was planning on attending several more games this season, but will most likely not do so because the cost/benefit ratio just isn't logical. They're pricing tickets for a winning team and we don't have one yet.

Glenn

Hall of Famer

My renewal for next season is #unfreakinbelievable. 14.4% increase. Need partner(s) or I'm OUT. #HelpSaveMySeats

They're raising ticket prices 14.4%????? For what we've seen thus far on the court there is no way on earth I would be happy with that. In fact, I firmly believe they should be giving rebates to STH because of the exorbitant prices they paid.

I also think the premium game pricing needs to be looked at very closely. When the Cavs come to town AND LEBRON JAMES DOESN'T EVEN PLAY, that's not a premium game.

I was planning on attending several more games this season, but will most likely not do so because the cost/benefit ratio just isn't logical. They're pricing tickets for a winning team and we don't have one yet.
A long time ago, I read an article that showed exponential increases in ticket prices when new arenas were built. I thought it was about 25% but that isn't really the issue.

oh my goodness

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
A long time ago, I read an article that showed exponential increases in ticket prices when new arenas were built. I thought it was about 25% but that isn't really the issue.
I expect prices to rise with the new arena. This is probably a step increase, with another one next year that they think will cushion the blow. I think they're wrong and I think they're playing a dangerous game. The Maloofs tried to keep ST prices high even when it was clear the product had declined to the point where some seats were almost unsellable.

I love my team but I'm not going to pay exorbitant prices now for a team THEY envision will be worth it in the future. But again...I'm not a STH. I'm just someone who travels 2 hours each way as often as I can to watch the team I love play basketball. I spend a lot on gas, on meals, on souvenirs, etc. I don't know if it's appropriate to say here but I'd like to see fans like me (the ones who cannot afford season tickets or don't buy them because of the logistics involved) get a little bit of love. We care about the team, too.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I expect prices to rise with the new arena. This is probably a step increase, with another one next year that they think will cushion the blow. I think they're wrong and I think they're playing a dangerous game. The Maloofs tried to keep ST prices high even when it was clear the product had declined to the point where some seats were almost unsellable.

I love my team but I'm not going to pay exorbitant prices now for a team THEY envision will be worth it in the future. But again...I'm not a STH. I'm just someone who travels 2 hours each way as often as I can to watch the team I love play basketball. I spend a lot on gas, on meals, on souvenirs, etc. I don't know if it's appropriate to say here but I'd like to see fans like me (the ones who cannot afford season tickets or don't buy them because of the logistics involved) get a little bit of love. We care about the team, too.
They are tone deaf as to the fans' attitude. This is a bad move and these bad moves seem to be piling up. Maybe the STH's will revolt. I had season tickets for 10 years early in the Kings' history and the losing, losing, losing began to get very old despite the uniqueness of having a real, live pro team in Sacramento.

Did everybody hear Chris Granger on Grant's show? He said something close to this (paraphrasing):
"We did not raise prices for several years, and many customers will not see a price increase at all.
Some customers will see increases of maybe 5%. Maybe some up to maybe 5 or 10%."

Did anybody else besides me hear this interview? Didn't he say 5%, and then sort of waffle it up to "5-10%"???

And the truth is 14.4%?!

I am just going to count to ten now and breathe deep, because I have half a mind to call them and tell them where to shove MY season tickets.

I actually feel a little hurt and disappointed that Chris Granger of all people would get on KHTK and LIE. Yes LIE about the price increase.

Yes I said lie. It seems this organization, this ownership group and executive group, just has no ****ing conscience at all.

I'm disgusted.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Did everybody hear Chris Granger on Grant's show? He said something close to this (paraphrasing):
"We did not raise prices for several years, and many customers will not see a price increase at all.
Some customers will see increases of maybe 5%. Maybe some up to maybe 5 or 10%."

Did anybody else besides me hear this interview? Didn't he say 5%, and then sort of waffle it up to "5-10%"???

And the truth is 14.4%?!

I am just going to count to ten now and breathe deep, because I have half a mind to call them and tell them where to shove MY season tickets.

I actually feel a little hurt and disappointed that Chris Granger of all people would get on KHTK and LIE. Yes LIE about the price increase.

Yes I said lie. It seems this organization, this ownership group and executive group, just has no ****ing conscience at all.

I'm disgusted.
In all fairness, there is another STH who tweeted that her tickets did not go up at all, and another reported a 12% increase. I don't know where any of them sit.

Chris said some would have no increase, others would have increases of 5%... maybe up to 10% in some locations. He fudged for sure if some people actually got 14%. He owes explanation if it is true.

Mine went up $430 for the season, presuming that's $10/seat if there are 2 preseason games again like last year (typical during Maloof years was 3 preseason games).

$10/$119 = 8.4% increase does not constitute a lie from Chris to me personally after all. I know some grandfathered people in my price section - grandfathered from Maloof years - paid less than me last year. Maybe THOSE guys caught up this year and got a higher increase... I don't know.

To me, an increase of $10/seat is not the reason I won't renew (IF I don't renew). It will be basketball related. $129 isn't terrible for my seats if the basketball product is good.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer

And the truth is 14.4%?!

I'm disgusted.
Since your a season ticket holder, how much did yours go up? At the moment I'm a little confused. One person said 14%, but Granger said some were 5% with some going up to 10%. So which is it? Have you gotten your bill yet, and if so, how much did yours go up? You said the truth is 14.4%, but also put a question mark behind it.

Obviously I haven't been a season ticket holder since I moved to Baja, but when I was, not all tickets went up the same percentage. And in some years, the cheap seats didn't go up at all. That's why I kept moving back in the lower level until I had to move upstairs.

OK this happened :)

Chris Granger just called me!! lol I gotta hand it to the guy. My caller ID was my ticket rep, but the guy on the other end of the phone was Chris Granger. That is "Disney service". Tell you one thing, they read twitter and probably here too.

I don't know the particulars of the lady on twitter who said she had a 14% increase - I don't know the arithmetic for her seats.

My seats are going up 8.4% ($10) and I'm ok with it. It is $129 for very nice mid-court seats. I jumped the gun taking up for the person who said she got a 14% increase - I think she has a beef with the organization but it isn't MY beef.

Like I said, to me under the circumstances a 8.4% ticket price increase isn't a deal breaker. I will renew or not renew for other reasons and I've told the Kings what they are (a little complicated). If I believe I will have equivalent seats in the new place - based on new and unknown price tiers - I will renew with or without a new coach.

Tickets shouldn't go up if the team isn't good. You can find Kings tickets on Groupon. That should be a hint to whoever is making ticket decisions that they aren't desirable yet.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Tickets shouldn't go up if the team isn't good. You can find Kings tickets on Groupon. That should be a hint to whoever is making ticket decisions that they aren't desirable yet.
I tend to agree with this. I understand, logistically, why they may need to issue an increase with the new arena being built, and all that, but raising ticket prices when the team is bad takes a lot of balls.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
When are ticket renewals usually done? I probably have forgotten but I think someone said January is very early. Do you have a time limit as to when you can renew them?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Okay, this just happened... :)

I got a phone call from Phil Horn, who wanted to clarify the ST invoice question I tweeted earlier today. He explained that STH have 10 months this year to pay for their tickets. We talked for about 10 minutes. I was impressed with his sincerity and willingness to reach out and set the record straight.

I briefly touched on a couple of things with him and hung up the phone feeling more positive than I have in a long time.

As far as the differences in the amount of ticket price increase, it seems as though it's mainly to restore parity.

I like the idea that someone from the Kings will call to make sure good information is out there.

Last edited:
Here's my problem with the season ticket prices going up, and season tickets in general:

The value of those tickets is going DOWN as they continue to tinker with this team for the benefit of their beloved NBA3.0. The fact that it would be cheaper to just buy 2nd hand tickets for every game rather than having Season tickets (for the same exact seats, lets just say for the sake of argument) is ridiculous. Season Ticket Holders should be getting the tickets cheaper than anyone else is able to.

Just like the fact that the Kings are offering 50% off tickets for the rest of January. If i were a season ticket holder, and saw that i could have been buying the seat right next to me for 50% off right now, i'd be pretty irritated to say the least.

It seems like at the moment, the ONLY benefit to being a STH is getting priority for season tix in the new arena. Which seems hardly worth it. It's not like theres any games you would be completely unable to get tix for throughout the season if you weren't an STH, and i doubt it's gonna be impossible to get Season Tix for the new arena

OK this happened :)

Chris Granger just called me!! lol I gotta hand it to the guy. My caller ID was my ticket rep, but the guy on the other end of the phone was Chris Granger. That is "Disney service". Tell you one thing, they read twitter and probably here too.

I don't know the particulars of the lady on twitter who said she had a 14% increase - I don't know the arithmetic for her seats.

My seats are going up 8.4% ($10) and I'm ok with it. It is $129 for very nice mid-court seats. I jumped the gun taking up for the person who said she got a 14% increase - I think she has a beef with the organization but it isn't MY beef.

Like I said, to me under the circumstances a 8.4% ticket price increase isn't a deal breaker. I will renew or not renew for other reasons and I've told the Kings what they are (a little complicated). If I believe I will have equivalent seats in the new place - based on new and unknown price tiers - I will renew with or without a new coach.
Did you voice your displeasure with the teams current situation and say it affects your decision to renew?

J

jdbraver

Last year I wanted to move to the end of the row a few seats down in 214. Had I stayed in my seats my rate wouldn't have gone up. However, since I wanted to move a few seats down my rate would have gone up substantially, for the same row! God forbid they accommodate someone w kids.

So I downgraded, to a cheaper section. Kings lost income I lost a better view,but despite their tomfoolery I still support the team. If they raise my tix again ill simply downgrade unless they refuse to give me an end seat then I'll bid them farewell.

Did you voice your displeasure with the teams current situation and say it affects your decision to renew?
To Chris Granger, Phil Horn (Senior VP, tickets), and Derek my season ticket main guy... yes - I talked to all three of them on the phone today about exactly that. I honestly feel duty-bound to make a statement about Pete and the basketball direction by not renewing, but it is not easy because I love the Kings overall anyway. I really like Chris and Phil - I would work for them as a free intern if I was a little younger - they are great guys. But for today, I deferred because I have got to have rock solid partners to share the pain - right now two of them are 'iffy'.

btw Vivek has not called, as yet, for my counsel re the GM and coach situation :)

These guys are such a joke. It's like they do the opposite of everything that's required to run a successful NBA franchise.

This team and fan base was teetering on the edge of exploding back into sellouts at the beginning of the year. Everyone was talking about going to games and what happened in the game last night etc. Guys who I didn't even know liked basketball were starting to talk about them. We were banding together at work to get tickets and watch some games.

After they fired Malone, the spark just completely died. I'm not giving them another cent until they can prove that they aren't the biggest idiots in the history of professional sports. They might get my rating on TV but they don't deserve a dime out of my pocket.

Here is the letter from Chris Granger to STH. He's good.

Family.

There has been a lot of talk, and rightfully so, about the “Kings Family” in the last few years and certainly in the last few weeks.

Families are not just born of blood relations. Families, in the broadest sense, are born of the respect and joy in each other’s lives, as well as the pain and disappointments we share. And in thirty amazing years, we’ve experienced an overwhelming amount of all of these emotions.

Our family has certainly had a lot to celebrate. The loudest fans in the world. Hundreds of sold out games. Fighting and winning the battle to keep the team in Sacramento…more than once. Groundbreaking and building a new downtown. Together.

We have shared disappointment and frustration as well. Painful losses, questionable calls, changes in personnel and, at times, disagreements over the direction of this franchise. Such times aren’t fun and such times can be maddening. We get it. We assure you that we’re right there with you on this rollercoaster of emotion as we strive to get to where we all want to go. We share your aspirations, embrace your expectations, and always remember all that’s entailed with being "Sacramento Proud."

On the court, our future is bright. DeMarcus is now a bona fide superstar. His USA National Team teammate, Rudy Gay, remains one of the premier players in the league. DC continues to dazzle while Ben continues to grow and amaze, and the entire squad is capable of a shared passion we haven’t seen in Sacramento in years.

Off the court, we continue to invest in our neighbors. The Sacramento Kings Foundation has embarked on a prolific period of “Doing Good,” already donating over $3,000,000 to regional non-profits over the last 18 months. In addition, with the support of gracious volunteers like you, the Foundation has refurbished playgrounds and basketball courts throughout Sacramento; provided everything from pajamas, to eyewear, to holiday presents for underprivileged children; and delivered over 70,000 packets of therapeutic food to malnourished kids throughout the world.

And last, but certainly not least, we have a new arena in the works that will set a new standard in our industry for comfort, sustainability, event-enhancing technology and local concessions. All with a very clear Sacramento-twist.

None of this would be possible without you, and now that we are on the brink of a new era in Sacramento, we ask that you remain with us on this journey.

By renewing your season tickets, you’ll secure the opportunity to be among the first to select your seats in the new Entertainment and Sports Center (ESC), beginning this summer. As this process approaches, it’s essential we confirm your seat locations earlier than years past for what will be a historic final year at Sleep Train Arena. In addition, all members who renew for the 2015-2016 season before the February 20, 2015 deadline will:
  • Receive an overall reduced monthly payment through the launch of a new extended 10-month payment plan. Even those with price increases will see monthly price reductions with this new option.
  • Be entered into a daily prize drawing. The prizes have all been suggested by fellow members and include insider experiences, exclusive Kings gear and parking/concessions discounts. The Grand Prize is a VIP trip to the 2015 NBA draft so please be sure to get your renewal (and entry) in early to be eligible.
  • Take home a piece of history. Your seat is yours. That’s right, we mean the actual seat where you’ve created so many Kings memories is yours to keep after we transition to the ESC. You’ve earned it.
Our family is special.

We cheer, we laugh, we argue, we cry, we defy and we rally….together.

This is a transformative time for the Kings franchise and Sacramento region. We humbly ask for your continued support…and we thank you for your decades of passion.

Sincerely,

Chris Granger

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Here is the letter from Chris Granger to STH. He's good.

Family.

There has been a lot of talk, and rightfully so, about the “Kings Family” in the last few years and certainly in the last few weeks.

Families are not just born of blood relations. Families, in the broadest sense, are born of the respect and joy in each other’s lives, as well as the pain and disappointments we share. And in thirty amazing years, we’ve experienced an overwhelming amount of all of these emotions.

Our family has certainly had a lot to celebrate. The loudest fans in the world. Hundreds of sold out games. Fighting and winning the battle to keep the team in Sacramento…more than once. Groundbreaking and building a new downtown. Together.

We have shared disappointment and frustration as well. Painful losses, questionable calls, changes in personnel and, at times, disagreements over the direction of this franchise. Such times aren’t fun and such times can be maddening. We get it. We assure you that we’re right there with you on this rollercoaster of emotion as we strive to get to where we all want to go. We share your aspirations, embrace your expectations, and always remember all that’s entailed with being "Sacramento Proud."

On the court, our future is bright. DeMarcus is now a bona fide superstar. His USA National Team teammate, Rudy Gay, remains one of the premier players in the league. DC continues to dazzle while Ben continues to grow and amaze, and the entire squad is capable of a shared passion we haven’t seen in Sacramento in years.

Off the court, we continue to invest in our neighbors. The Sacramento Kings Foundation has embarked on a prolific period of “Doing Good,” already donating over $3,000,000 to regional non-profits over the last 18 months. In addition, with the support of gracious volunteers like you, the Foundation has refurbished playgrounds and basketball courts throughout Sacramento; provided everything from pajamas, to eyewear, to holiday presents for underprivileged children; and delivered over 70,000 packets of therapeutic food to malnourished kids throughout the world.

And last, but certainly not least, we have a new arena in the works that will set a new standard in our industry for comfort, sustainability, event-enhancing technology and local concessions. All with a very clear Sacramento-twist.

None of this would be possible without you, and now that we are on the brink of a new era in Sacramento, we ask that you remain with us on this journey.

By renewing your season tickets, you’ll secure the opportunity to be among the first to select your seats in the new Entertainment and Sports Center (ESC), beginning this summer. As this process approaches, it’s essential we confirm your seat locations earlier than years past for what will be a historic final year at Sleep Train Arena. In addition, all members who renew for the 2015-2016 season before the February 20, 2015 deadline will:
  • Receive an overall reduced monthly payment through the launch of a new extended 10-month payment plan. Even those with price increases will see monthly price reductions with this new option.
  • Be entered into a daily prize drawing. The prizes have all been suggested by fellow members and include insider experiences, exclusive Kings gear and parking/concessions discounts. The Grand Prize is a VIP trip to the 2015 NBA draft so please be sure to get your renewal (and entry) in early to be eligible.
  • Take home a piece of history. Your seat is yours. That’s right, we mean the actual seat where you’ve created so many Kings memories is yours to keep after we transition to the ESC. You’ve earned it.
Our family is special.

We cheer, we laugh, we argue, we cry, we defy and we rally….together.

This is a transformative time for the Kings franchise and Sacramento region. We humbly ask for your continued support…and we thank you for your decades of passion.

Sincerely,

Chris Granger
Thanks for sharing. I know there will be cynics but I felt the sincerity from Phil Horn and I feel it from this email. The Kings are, as my signature has said for a long time, a FAMILY tradition. :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Now this is interesting:
Take home a piece of history. Your seat is yours. That’s right, we mean the actual seat where you’ve created so many Kings memories is yours to keep after we transition to the ESC. You’ve earned it.
How are they going to divide the arm rests? ;)