Scouts question Boone's intensity - Kings related

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
http://news.newstimeslive.com/story.php?id=86293&category=Sports

Scouts question Boone's intensity

By Brian Koonz

THE NEWS-TIMES STORRS — It's been 2½ months since Josh Boone left UConn fans and NBA scouts scratching their heads with his decision to leave school early. After all, the 6-foot-10 Boone stumbled down the stretch of his junior year. In four NCAA tournament games, Boone averaged 8.0 points, 4.8 rebounds and 0.8 blocked shots, hardly the sort of numbers that make general managers write blank checks.
And yet, there is another side to Boone, the side that saw him put up eight double-doubles this season and finish with 21 for his career, third-most among active
Big East players.

Although NBA scouts stop short of calling Boone unmotivated or disinterested, his tendency to vanish in some games will certainly affect his stock Wednesday at the 2006 NBA Draft in New York. Boone is widely projected as a late, first-round pick by most draft analysts.

"I don't think it's a secret that a lot of us would like to see a little more fire and intensity out of Josh," said Sacramento Kings scout Keith Drum, a frequent visitor to UConn games. "But understand, when you talk about intensity, you're not necessarily talking about pounding your chest. It's about being a little more assertive and a little more aggressive.

"Josh definitely has some tools, particularly on the defensive end. He also has size, which works to his advantage," added Drum, pointing out that Boone will work out for the Kings a second time today. "I think defensively, he's more ready to compete than he is offensively. But I think that's true of a lot of big guys, including Hilton (Armstrong)."

Boone, the Big East Defensive Player of the Year in 2005 after averaging 2.9 blocks, actually saw his scoring drop this season.

As a sophomore, Boone averaged 12.4 points for the Huskies. As a junior, Boone averaged just 10.3 points, including a scoreless effort against Kentucky in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

And yet, Boone's ability to put up double-doubles against Syracuse twice this season, to burn Brandon Roy and Washington for 13 points and 11 rebounds in this year's Sweet 16, is pure stat-candy for NBA teams look to draft an athletic big man.
During the last 10 weeks, Boone has worked out for many of the teams in the bottom half of the first round, including Chicago at No. 16, Washington at No. 18, New York at No. 20 and No. 29, Phoenix at No. 21 and No. 27, New Jersey at No. 22 and No. 23, and Portland at No. 30.

"We liked Boone when he worked out for us (May 30). He's big and he's also a very good defensive player," said Dick McGuire, senior basketball advisor for the New York Knicks. "He needs to work on his offense, but I definitely think he'll get drafted late in the first round."

McGuire isn't the only one.

"Josh Boone is the ultimate winner. That he doesn't have to learn. That he brings to the court," UConn coach Jim Calhoun said Thursday, adding that Boone told him two teams — most likely, New York and Phoenix — have expressed deep interest in drafting Boone late in the first round.

"Clearly, Josh would be a good selection later in the first round because he can really play basketball," Calhoun added. "He brings no maintenance in the sense of playing. The only thing that he has to do is develop more self-belief. He's got to find that self-esteem. I think he will."

According to sources, if Boone is available — and the Knicks don't trade the pick — New York will call his name at No. 29. But with Larry Brown's firing on Thursday, that scenario could be more precarious than ever.

Last year, the No. 29 pick earned a base rookie salary of $723,100, according to the NBA's collective bargaining agreement.

If Boone does fall into the second round, Toronto is among the teams that would be interested in taking him off the board, especially without the guaranteed contract awarded to first-round picks. The Raptors have the fifth pick of the second round at No. 35.

"We don't think that Josh will be available in the second round, but if he is, he'd certainly be someone that we would look at," said Bob Zuffelato, director of basketball operations for the Toronto Raptors. "He's probably more skilled than Hilton is, but he hasn't been nearly as consistent. He can certainly score better than Hilton, but you've got to ask yourself, 'Does he want to be a decent player and just make a roster? Or, does he want to become a great player?'

"He certainly has the capacity to become a great player if he dedicates himself and puts in the extra time, not just the regular practice time and shoot-around time. There's a big difference."
Boone has heard the same refrain from Calhoun for the last three years. It might be a good time to finally listen.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I really think I am over the whole self-doubting motivationally-impaired basketball player at this point. Give me somebody with a little fire in his belly.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Although NBA scouts stop short of calling Boone unmotivated or disinterested, his tendency to vanish in some games will certainly affect his stock...
I have to agree with Bricklayer. We've been there and done that, and I'm NOT talking about Brad Miller...

If the Knicks like him as a big man prospect....ie. the team that threw 30 milion dollars at half season wonder Jerome James....then lets steer clear.