Scott Perry interviews for GM job with Knicks

I'd rather slide Vlade into Grangers old role as President and move Perry to GM. Vlade can still be the face of the organization and work with Perry and we are able to keep a very good FO guy

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Good for him, but that's the kind of job that if it doesn't work out it could be a quick end to your GM aspirations.

I'm sure Perry has been good for the organization but in looking at what the Kings have done this summer in retrospect I see Vlade's and Joergers hands all over it. Maybe Perry is irreplaceable but I think the Kings are turning this around as a group. I'm sure it sucks to lose a valuable piece like Perry but I'm not sure about going into panic mode over it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I wish Scott Perry all the best IF he is offered and accepts the Knicks job. I am not, however, going to jump off a cliff and wait for the pieces of the falling sky to hit me on the head.

I cannot believe how quickly some Kings fans default to the doom and gloom.

I wish Scott Perry all the best IF he is offered and accepts the Knicks job. I am not, however, going to jump off a cliff and wait for the pieces of the falling sky to hit me on the head.

I cannot believe how quickly some Kings fans default to the doom and gloom.
I don't think it's doom and gloom....i do however think this is a bit alarming if they lose Granger and Perry in the same offseason , especially considering that Perry has only been here a few months. Those were really the only 2 FO guys I actually have/had confidence in

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't think it's doom and gloom....i think this is a bit alarming if they lose Granger and Perry in the same offseason , especially considering that Perry has only been here a few months. Those were really the only 2 FO guys I actually have/had confidence in
I guess I've just become a lot less emotionally invested in things like this. "A bit alarming"? Chris Granger was never going to stay here forever; he came to do a job and he did it. Whatever issues may have factored into his departure are not, IMHO, panic-worthy.

Yes Scott Perry has only been here a few months BUT he's got every right to pursue career advancement. I'm kind of flattered other teams are now looking to us for candidates; that hasn't happened in a very long time to the best of my memory.

If Scott Perry does accept the job in New York, I have confidence that Vlade and company will use the same sound judgment in picking his successor as they did in picking him.

But hey, if some want to be alarmed or panicked or convinced we're now worse than ever, so be it. I made my initial comment but I'm not gonna get into a lengthy board battle about it. In all honesty, I'm just not that interested. :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
As much as I hate to lose Scott Perry if he leaves, these are the kind of moves that help an organization in the long run. This to me is the front office equivalent of a Rising team not picking up the team option on the final year of a contract to let an aging player chase a ring. Little things like that help build Championship culture because the team's reputation around the league improves. Look how much that changed in the little time Vlade has had to put his entire team in place. (aka, Joerger, Perry, Peja, etc...) Agents were willing to let players come, veteran free agents were willing to sign, Etc... it hasn't been that long ago that players were traded here and refused to even suit up and demanded immediate trades or releases. Now some of those same level players are signing free agent deals here.

Well I would hate to lose Scott Perry I do think his value is a little overblown. Many are acting as if the team will be a perpetual cellar dweller if he leaves when we all know that Vlade Divac has the final say in all basketball matters. I think the place that Scott Perry really earned his chops here was with the draft. His connections gave instant credibility to a team in fluctuation. (To be fair, I believe some of the ability to draw draftable players to Sacramento was the fact that the Kings had the 5th and 10th pick at the time so at some level agents had to know blowing them off really hurt a player's chances to go in the lottery).

I believe that a underrated part of the front office has been Ken Catanella. Once he came on board many more sensible trades, contracts, signings, and drafts became more stable and fitted toward a vision. I have to believe some of that is him sitting down with Vlade Divac and explaining cap, salary, and draft implications in the short-term and long-term.

TL;DR - (to summarize) - I give Ken Catanella a lot of credit for these 1 and 2 year contracts freeing up roster space to have as many young players as we do. I give Vlade Divac the credit for finding the players and the coach that we have now and I give Scott Perry credit for giving long-needed legitimacy to the King's organization that has desperately needed it for a long time.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I wish we'd just made Scott Perry our GM from the beginning. Vlade could have continued as President and you had to know Perry was going to get a GM job offer very soon regardless. Now we've lost the most experienced person in our front office to a rival team with an unlimited budget.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Of course the Kings get a steady hand in the front office, one who seems to be doing a great job.

... and he's poached away by New York after three month. *****.

I'm sad to see him go but I understand it from both sides. It's good will to let a guy go for a job he really wants. The Kings will get future points and respect for doing it even if it may hurt to let him go. The roster is set and Vlade and Co. can take their time looking for a suitable replacement armed with the good will and positive momentum from a good offseason.

Congratulations Perry. See what a little experience with the Kings will get you. I'm beginning to suspect our secret ingredient to success is Vlade.
Agreed.

To be honest, Perry main strength was his respect and connections around the league.

His actual player personnel moves and talent evaluations (see Orlando) were questionable at best.

I suspect the players picked in the draft and the free agents acquisitions were mostly Vlade decisions.

Furthermore, I would want to keep Vlade as the main decision maker (even if Perry was here), which is why Perry probably decided to leave, so he can that ultimate power in New York.

It hurts to lose such a respected and experienced FO member, but I think if we can find a well connected, experienced and respected replacement, there will be little harm done.

My feeling is that Vlade has always been the main decision maker in all these moves this summer, not Perry. :)

Last edited:
this blows! I liked the guy. I blame that idiot, Phil. I think 90% of the board members on here could have ran the knicks better than him.

Actually, he did draft porzingis and hernangomez. I didn't think those two would pan out worth a crap.