Save Our Kings !

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Howdy everybody.

As many of you already know, the Kingsfans IC has been working on an organization designed to, as the title says "Save Our Kings" by becoming a loud and clear voice for the fans in the arena debate. It has become clear to us that if somebody does not muster the political will to build an arena NOW, that in a couple of years there will be no more Sacramento Kings, nor any more Kingsfans.com.

The conception of this organization was my own, based on the political experience I have compiled over the years working on various campaigns. But from the beginning I saw the keys to its success the contributions that you, the fans of the team, can make. I realized that on this messageboard we had people from every walk of life, with every expertise, all bound together by one thing: a love of the Kings.

Already the organization owes its thanks to Jeremy for hosting the SOK messageboards, to Rhuber for designing and webmastering the site (which looks great I think -- thanks again Bob!) as well as to VF21 (Media Relations) Kingsgurl (Arco Outreach) 6th (Monarchs Outreach) and the rest of the IC members for their early advice and support. But if this organization is going to be what it can be, is going to accomplish what I know it can, its going to need contributions from all of you who want to keep the Kings in Sacramento as well.

It starts with this announcement here at KF where Save Our Kings was born. It ends when the arena saga is finally over, one way or the other. Along the way we intend and need to spread to every messageboard. We need you to tell your friends and family members about us, and they to tell theirs. We need to get the word out at Arco. We need to let both the local polticians and the local media know who we are, and that we are not going away.

This organization is designed to give you, the fan, a voice. To give you a way to go from being a single concerned fan too easily dismissed, to being part of a movement which cannot be ignored. It is designed to Save Our Kings. But its all up to you.

http://www.SaveOurKings.com

Last edited:
I echo that and I just registered to the forum to stay in touch with things. Great job by all involved in getting this movement started.

I will do what I can in the "YC", I support some sort of neighboring county movements to get this done.

What are the plans going to be to try and push this message forward? What can people do to support this?

I want a bumper wait make that a window type sticker, I am not attaching nothing to my bumper.

Last edited:
Looks great! I look forward to new developments. I am now in Yuba City, but like BigWaxer, I'd like there to be at least some serious regional discussions. I was looking at funding for some other stadia/arenas and there are Sports Commissions (and taxes) set up across county boundaries. One place was across 11 counties. :) Go Kings, Go Sacramento!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
kennadog - If you find an article that you think should be part of the SOK website, be sure and let us know!

VF21 said:
kennadog - If you find an article that you think should be part of the SOK website, be sure and let us know!
Will do. I get depressed looking, tho, becsue there are so many negative articles. :(

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
One thing we're very sure about with SaveOurKings is that it's POSITIVE in nature and intent. We aren't going to get bogged down with arguing about whether or not there should be an arena, whether or not the Kings AND the Monarchs might leave, etc.

We are going to do everything we can to ensure that a new arena is built for the people of Sacramento and the surrounding areas so that the Maloofs don't even think about moving our teams!

VF21 said:
One thing we're very sure about with SaveOurKings is that it's POSITIVE in nature and intent. We aren't going to get bogged down with arguing about whether or not there should be an arena, whether or not the Kings AND the Monarchs might leave, etc.

We are going to do everything we can to ensure that a new arena is built for the people of Sacramento and the surrounding areas so that the Maloofs don't even think about moving our teams!
No argument from me! A group of positive people, who want this to happen for the Sacramento region is just exactly what I've been looking for. And I hope the movement becomes a groundswell!:D

I am not from California, however; I am a devoted fan who can't imagine the Kings moving out of Sac. Not much I can do from Louisiana, but y'all have all my support!!

SOK looks great!! Thanks for all the work. Let us "far-away fans" know how to best help the effort. As diligent as I know y'all are going to be, this will be a HUGE success. Keep up the great work!

I think the most important thing that we fans can do right now is to let our friends and family know that there are other concerned fans out there. I am certain that there are thousands of Kings fans out there who have said and done nothing. We all need to be counted and seen. I would assume that the Sacramento City Council would have to pay attention if thousands of Sacramento residents were united and vocally demanding a new arena.

What bothers me the most is that the Council will probably be extolling the virtues of a new "event arena" in a few years. I would hate to see the Kings moved to Las Vegas just before the City asks home owners to pay for the construction of a new multi-use arena.

I believe that last week the City Council authorized $50M for the expansion of Sutter Hospital. This week, the Council was soliciting ideas from the public on how to spend $70M of "extra" money they found.

Fantastic!

Some queastions though:

1. What about us fans from outside Sacamento area? Is there any way we can help put up the pressure? Arguably, because of the Kings, Sacramento has landed ont the "international map" and it has presence with basketball fans all over US and the World. That can't be a bad thing.

2. Is there any "grunt" work that you need help with?

3. Is there any need/point to pressurise NBA too?

bozz

P.S. Brick, you're a politico?! You do know that this will be used against you. ;)

This is great! It's also the second grass-roots campaign out there to save our teams. I heard a news story on local TV a couple of weeks ago about a similar effort launched by a local guy. The more, the better.

Real winners...

Has anyone considered perhaps building a new arena for the Monarchs and occasionally allowing the Kings to use it? Why reward a team that plays the way the Kings do with a new arena? I say reward the WNBA world champions and send the Kings to Stockton to play in a 10,000-seat arena they may be able to keep filled!!

xelxock said:
Has anyone considered perhaps building a new arena for the Monarchs and occasionally allowing the Kings to use it? Why reward a team that plays the way the Kings do with a new arena? I say reward the WNBA world champions and send the Kings to Stockton to play in a 10,000-seat arena they may be able to keep filled!!
I'll file that away as a desirable back-up plan ONLY because I live about 20 blocks from the new arena and would love to walk to the Kings' games. ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sorry, Ryan. Been kind of hectic around here. I'll try and get to that this weekend.

Thanks for the suggestion.