Sam Vecenie’s Barnes to Suns Trade Idea

Would you do this move?

• Total voters

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
On his latest pod, The Athletic’s draft expert/ player transaction analyst Sam Vecenie Floated out a possible Crowder-Barnes trade

I’m not sure I’d personally do this deal even though I do like the pick coming back to us to help offset the Huerter trade. Crowder is the sort of dawg that would immediately become a favorite in Mike Brown’s rotation and would probably fit into the starting lineup a bit better than the Barnes of last season did (the huuuge defensive drop off probably had more to do with the chaos of the coaching situation more than any physical drop off by Barnes but even then Jae is still a better defender than him and a little more capable of defending wings despite being later into his career). I also think Dario could help the team a lot offensively if he really is healthy enough to play basketball again (he missed the last season after tearing his ACL in the first game of the NBA Finals) and him playing off of Domantas could be fun even if that front court would be absolutely horrible defensively. All three guys involved in the deal are free agents at the end of the season so this would pretty much be a rental for all guys involved plus the Kings picking back up the pick they lost in the Atlanta trade.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would 100% do that deal and send the Suns Metu to balance the salaries and to avoid having to cut someone to accommodate Saric.

But that's also because I think it's nearly a certainty that Barnes is gone as a FA after this season. If so, netting a lottery protected 2024 FRP from Phoenix is at least gaining an asset. Crowder is also a FA but he's a low usage 3&D forward who could better defend wings than either Barnes or Murray so I feel like he'd balance the starting lineup. Saric is a throw in that would battle Lyles for stretch 4 minutes and who is also a FA after the season.

I like Barnes but he and Murray aren't an ideal forward pairing since they do a lot of the same things and neither can defend quicker wings, but the bigger issue is having him walk after the season with nothing to show for it.

I think it's a fair deal for both sides. Suns get a wing that is more versatile and Kings get a better defender and a FRP. Saric at this stage is a total flyer so I wouldn't really count on him much, but, best case scenario he Gels well with Sabonis because of style of play and the ball pops more. But he was as negative defender before the injury, so that is not great.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Not a fan. I think Crowder and Murray is more 2 PF than wing combo than Barnes and Murray are. If they are going to replace Barnes for need I think it should be with a more pure wing. Crowder could be a nice MLE target in the offseason though.

I personally want to see how Barnes and Murray play together as I see them as an almost perfect balance of switching on offense and defense. I think they complement each other extremely well especially with Barnes ability to get to the basket and Keegans IQ to move to open spots to trap the defense.

What is wrong with Saric I have not followed him for a while seemed like a good player, I'd do it without the pick, unless both Saric and Crowder are both completely shot that is a huge win.