"SACTOWN" City Edition jerseys now red

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
They are cool looking but I don't particularly feel like these connect to the city or the team in any meaningful way like some of the other City edition jerseys do. I know Sacramento may not be the cultural mecca but what about something celebrating Sacramento's role in the rail roads or perhaps rock a Tower Records inspired colorway? Or even something tied to the gold rush.

What am I missing about red and Sacramento?

Marketing meeting at Nike:

Pro Marketer: All right let's just switch the Kings to red since they have a bit of it on the lettering.

Marketing Manager: Genius! What do we do with all that powder blue now?

A lot of these are lazy cash grabs by Nike (change the color, slap the city nickname on them), just to get people to purchase the latest edition like a yearly Madden game:

At least they don't say Cream City on them:

Last edited:
They are cool looking but I don't particularly feel like these connect to the city or the team in any meaningful way like some of the other City edition jerseys do. I know Sacramento may not be the cultural mecca but what about something celebrating Sacramento's role in the rail roads or perhaps rock a Tower Records inspired colorway? Or even something tied to the gold rush.

It's a color they haven't used yet, and we all know you're not a true Kings fan unless you have every jersey. Something that actually relates to Sacramento? Not when there's money to be made with those faux-hip jerseys.

It's supposed to represent our crowds continued intensity or some BS along those lines. Basically there is no connection at all, they are just hoping that people will be psyched for a red jersey.

They should've gone with a green color to represent the City of Trees.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
It's a color they haven't used yet, and we all know you're not a true Kings fan unless you have every jersey. Something that actually relates to Sacramento? Not when there's money to be made with those faux-hip jerseys.
By this measure I am 100% not a fan.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
to be fair, Milwaukee is known as Cream city. I saw it on several buildings downtown when I last visited.
I actually saw it on a Fender ad today as well, but I had never heard it before today. I was able to guess when I saw it since it's a dairy town, but still. Someone had to be having a laugh when they came up with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
that's just bad man....when did red become royalty colors? Kings need to just stick with their colors.
How much say do the teams actually get?

“Yeah Vivek, we already used baby blue last year, and royal blue this year, we have purple, black, and white covered... so hows red? We won’t even change anything on the jersey except make it red, it’s gunna be awesome”

Lol

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
How much say do the teams actually get?

“Yeah Vivek, we already used baby blue last year, and royal blue this year, we have purple, black, and white covered... so hows red? We won’t even change anything on the jersey except make it red, it’s gunna be awesome”

Lol
Right before we finally got permission to use black jerseys, I was told by someone in a position to speak with at least some knowledge that the league is pretty much in control, based on their collective agreements with the manufacturers. The only decision the teams really get to make is which of their approved jerseys they can wear on any given night, and even that is limited by whether they're at home or on the road.

Thanks - I knew I could count on someone to do that. So Nike or whoever forced the Celtics to wear something other than green or white. Doesn't prove anything other than the apparel companies have too much clout.

My original point, of course, is that the Kings look like they are floundering around trying to figure out what's their #1 color scheme. As a result, we have this apparel-company-driven thing of "let's use as many colors as possible so we can sell more jerseys."

So, Mad D, are you feeling smug because you pointed out the flaw in my argument? Actually, I was getting you to do my research for me. I had no doubt that at some point the Celtics were forced by the apparel companies to wear something other than green or white. Look at that picture you posted - that's not the Celtics. I hope I didn't ruin an I-won-the-Internet moment for you.

Thanks - I knew I could count on someone to do that. So Nike or whoever forced the Celtics to wear something other than green or white. Doesn't prove anything other than the apparel companies have too much clout.

My original point, of course, is that the Kings look like they are floundering around trying to figure out what's their #1 color scheme. As a result, we have this apparel-company-driven thing of "let's use as many colors as possible so we can sell more jerseys."

So, Mad D, are you feeling smug because you pointed out the flaw in my argument? Actually, I was getting you to do my research for me. I had no doubt that at some point the Celtics were forced by the apparel companies to wear something other than green or white. Look at that picture you posted - that's not the Celtics. I hope I didn't ruin an I-won-the-Internet moment for you.
He was just goofing around. Not trying to get one over on you.