Sacramento - MLS - #29!!!

December 13 we should have another major league professional franchise to follow for those with ties/roots to the Sac area.

Its between us Cincinnati and Nashville for 2 spots in the MLS. Cant wait ! our boys are ready and our fans are the best in the nation !

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/ne...-t-come-from-sacramento-cincinnati-nashville/

should we be chosen, we have an agreement with UC Davis Health to be our primary sponsor.

http://www.espnfc.com/sacramento-re...c-names-jersey-sponsor-for-potential-mls-spot

Last edited:
How do expansion franchises work in the MLS? Is there an expansion draft like other major leagues? How do they fill out the thecrest of the roster?
Not sure if the rules will be the same if we are one of the teams to come up to the MLS, but........

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017...on-draft-set-december-12-lafc-have-five-picks

Is how they're doing it for LAFC....

yeah expansion draft i believe.

https://www.sportingkc.com/post/201...ails-announced-lafc-prepares-inaugural-season

T

The Associated Press

Meg Whitman, the CEO of Hewlett Packard Enterprise Co., joined the bid of Sacramento, California, for a Major League Soccer franchise on Wednesday as the four finalists made presentations to the league's expansion committee. Sacramento and Nashville, Tennessee, are considered the favorites to be awarded teams next month. Cincinnati and Detroit also are bidding.

Continue reading...

I am so excited for this to (potentially) happen!!!! This is another one of those things that, no matter where in the freaking world I am at that time, I will not miss opening night/day. That will be something special.

I drive by the construction site everyday. They have been moving dirt out of the site for the past 2 weeks. Tons of vehicles moving on and off the site everyday. I hope thats a sign that this is a done deal.

With only one Major League Sports team in the area, the Sacramento Market is ripe for a second, especially for a growing league like the MLS. I don't see how we aren't chosen.

My honest opinion is Sacramento has proven that they deserve it. My opinion on MLS is that they are driven in all kinds of other directions and I wouldn't put it past them to go to Cincinnati and Detroit.

Ive had my republic season tix since they got here. So amped for this new era to get underway!
I will be adding MLS tickets to my list of "Season Tickets to purchase once I move back to the Sacramento area". I've already added Kings tickets to that list. And I am seriously considering adding Sharks (hockey) tickets as well. Life's goals. We shall see. :)

Nashville looks like they have locked down the first bid. Between Cincinnati and Sacramento for two. Honestly wish they could have kept this from leaking before the second city as I'm not sure it's good news.

Nashville looks like they have locked down the first bid. Between Cincinnati and Sacramento for two. Honestly wish they could have kept this from leaking before the second city as I'm not sure it's good news.
I hope.. some insiders like Cincinnati.. this final spot between the two will be close

Looks like money is the issue for Sacramento Republic, Nagle now going public for an appeal to investment.

I hope.. some insiders like Cincinnati.. this final spot between the two will be close

Looks like money is the issue for Sacramento Republic, Nagle now going public for an appeal to investment.
I'm confused. What changed? Did MLS suddenly up their expansion franchise fee? Did they see how many cities were interested and think, "hey, we should see which city is willing to give us another 50 million for a team?" Admittedly, I am not well read in all the minutiae of MLS expansion, but from many of the articles I have read both locally and nationally, many writers seemed to think that Sacramento was almost a guarantee for a team due to the success of Sac Republic, the assembled investment/ownership group, corporate sponsors, and ready to go stadium plan. Yet here we are, with MLS giving one spot to Nashville and now saying they want to wait to announce further expansion leaving Sac, Cinci and Detroit hanging out to dry. I would think to have been one of the 4 finalists to present to the league that the expansion fee would have been something that was a no brainer, if you can't meet the fee, you can't be a finalist for a spot. Am I wrong? Why would MLS even consider you as a finalist for a franchise if you can't meet the leagues franchise fee? This makes me think that maybe these cities were prepared for say a 150 million fee, but now MLS thinks the fee should be 200 or even 250 million. Do we know what Nashville will ultimately pay? The whole thing just stinks to me. I feel like we're being strung along.

I'm confused. What changed? Did MLS suddenly up their expansion franchise fee? Did they see how many cities were interested and think, "hey, we should see which city is willing to give us another 50 million for a team?" Admittedly, I am not well read in all the minutiae of MLS expansion, but from many of the articles I have read both locally and nationally, many writers seemed to think that Sacramento was almost a guarantee for a team due to the success of Sac Republic, the assembled investment/ownership group, corporate sponsors, and ready to go stadium plan. Yet here we are, with MLS giving one spot to Nashville and now saying they want to wait to announce further expansion leaving Sac, Cinci and Detroit hanging out to dry. I would think to have been one of the 4 finalists to present to the league that the expansion fee would have been something that was a no brainer, if you can't meet the fee, you can't be a finalist for a spot. Am I wrong? Why would MLS even consider you as a finalist for a franchise if you can't meet the leagues franchise fee? This makes me think that maybe these cities were prepared for say a 150 million fee, but now MLS thinks the fee should be 200 or even 250 million. Do we know what Nashville will ultimately pay? The whole thing just stinks to me. I feel like we're being strung along.
I understand the sentiment, man. But actually we could still be a leading bid here, I think. If MLS needed an excuse to bypass us they had one.. If they loved Cincy/Detroit they’d be in.. Could get interesting. The league and sport I think are looked at as feasible, so I hope they can get the “whales”

Sacramento may be to MLS what Seattle is to the NBA. It's going to happen eventually but they can use it as a chip with other cities in the meantime to up their bids.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
As I mentioned in the Heat game thread, Ron Burkle was at the game Wednesday as the guest of Kevin Nagle. Since Sacramento has been looking for a whale for their MLS bid, could this have been more than just coincidence?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Darn it. I forgot the game was on 58 until just now. I really need to learn more about soccer - and I intend to do so by watching the Republic. First question...why did they just extend the clock 5 minutes at the end of 90?

Darn it. I forgot the game was on 58 until just now. I really need to learn more about soccer - and I intend to do so by watching the Republic. First question...why did they just extend the clock 5 minutes at the end of 90?
Stoppage time...to make up for time lost due to a stoppage during the game (primarily due to an injury, or an attempt at faking one ;))...

Stoppage time...to make up for time lost due to a stoppage during the game (primarily due to an injury, or an attempt at faking one ;))...
FYI...it's not always 5 minutes...it varies. Referee decides...Some are generous, while others not so much...