sacbee: Peja isn't going anywhere - at least not yet

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/10948920p-11866256c.html

Peja isn't going anywhere - at least not yet

The All-Star small forward is resigned that he won't be traded and will play for the Kings.

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Saturday, October 2, 2004

Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie was nowhere to be found, so All-Star small forward Peja Stojakovic was given another hat to wear on media day.

Stojakovic, who stated during the summer that he thought it would be best for the team and himself if he were traded, was asked if he'd trade himself if he were in Petrie's position.

After a huge grin and a loud laugh, Stojakovic said, "I cannot answer that question."

That's because Stojakovic knows his answer likely would have compromised his trade request. He knows it's difficult to find another 27-year-old, 6-foot-10 small forward whose 24.2-point scoring average last season ranked second in the league behind Tracy McGrady.

It's even tougher to find one who shoots 48 percent from the field and 43.3 percent from three-point range, leads the league in free-throw shooting at 92.7 percent and ranks sixth in minutes played at 40.3 per game.

And all that comes at a 2004-05 salary of just under $7 million a season.

Many eyes stayed on Stojakovic on Friday afternoon and Chris Webber, the teammate whose comments following the season-ending loss to Minnesota in the Western Conference semifinals and this summer are widely believed to have influenced Stojakovic's desire to be traded.

Kings coach Rick Adelman didn't specifically mention the Webber-Stojakovic situation but admitted he'll approach the team's chemistry differently than he has in the past.

When longtime center Vlade Divac signed with the Los Angeles Lakers this summer, it was expected to leave a large void in leadership.

Moreover, Divac is Stojakovic's countryman and good friend, so it figured to hit him harder than anyone else on the team.

"When you lose someone like Vlade," Adelman said, "it's going to have an impact on your team. This group, bringing Greg (Ostertag) and all these young guys in, you're going to have to work harder at it.

"You're going to have to go out of your way to have each other's back. It's not going to be as easy because it was there. It was the natural thing for them to do. Now you've had some things happen, you know, back and forth, so it's going to take some work.

"But as long as they play together on the court and they work on it, that's how we've gotten through tough times in the past."

Stojakovic said he did not feel any coldness or anxiety from his teammates, including Webber.

"It was the same like last year and a lot of the other years with the guys who have been here for a lot of years," said Stojakovic, who, along with Webber, has been a King longer than anyone on the roster.

"Chris and I just said hi to each other, and we didn't have much time. I know we'll have time. I know he's been asked a lot of questions. I've been asked a lot of questions. Me and him are cool. I said that before to you when we talked this summer and the reasons I gave to Petrie and the organization that I thought the change would help the team and me, too."

Stojakovic never has publicly indicated what those reasons are - and did not do so Friday.

Instead, he seemed resigned that he will not be traded and will have to find a way to play this season with the only NBA franchise he has known.

He said there was no thought of not showing for media day or training camp. He knew his public request to be traded would be prime-time fodder.

"That was the subject," Stojakovic said, grinning. "I expected that, and I'm here to answer that. I didn't want to do the boycotting thing. I didn't think it would be fair for my teammates and this organization, the fans and the city from whom I've received a lot of support. I'm a professional. I have two years left on my contract. I'm going to honor that."

Last edited:
B

buddahead_916

Thank god-
I'm glad Peja showed up, He said he and cwebb are "cool" so I guess that's a good thing but he still says he wants to be traded. There's two more years left in his contract so what then? I know a LOT can happen in two years. Oh well, GAME ON for now good hunting this year Kings

piksi

Hall of Famer
They are not cool and they will not be cool. It does not matter anyway.

BTW one had to be really retarded to even think that Peja might not show up. This is professional sports - not high school popularity contest.

Retarded is a little strong. I thought there was a chance he wouldn't show up because if your immature enough to publically ask for a trade then who knows what you are capable of.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Heuge said:
Retarded is a little strong. I thought there was a chance he wouldn't show up because if your immature enough to publically ask for a trade then who knows what you are capable of.
I agree!

If piksi lived in the Sacramento area, he might have had a chance to hear the comments about this on the local news. Since he didn't, that may be why he doesn't know about all the speculation being talked about by virtually all the sportscasters.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
piksi said:
They are not cool and they will not be cool. It does not matter anyway...
If Peja has the same attitude you're showing, then I'm very disappointed in him and more convinced than ever that he's being a petulant child.

He's a professional athlete, as you yourself have stated repeatedly. As such, he should be able to put aside personal differences - especially when all big bad Webber did is say he wants everyone to put forth more effort. He NEVER called Peja out by name...and. to my knowledge, he never ambushed him on the playground and stole his lunch money.

Last edited:
Great to see Peja talking and from his talk I get the feeling that he does want to stay here.
piksi said:
They are not cool and they will not be cool. It does not matter anyway.
I think that there might have a little bit of something even now. but as the season progresses evernthing will even out. 2 years is a long time. I am pretty confident that the Kings will be able to get back.
BTW one had to be really retarded to even think that Peja might not show up. This is professional sports - not high school popularity contest.
It wasn't totally impossible. Players have done much worse things than not appearing for interviews.

VF21 said:
If Peja has the same attitude you're showing, then I'm very disappointed in him and more convinced than ever that he's being a petulant child.

He's a professional athlete, as you yourself have stated repeatedly. As such, he should be able to put aside personal differences - especially when all big bad Webber did is say he wants everyone to put forth more effort. He NEVER called Peja out by name.
/rant on

And when he did mention Peja by name, it was to say good stuff about him. You know, I almost gagged listening to the radio yesterday after Peja's interview. As I mentioned in the other thread, Grant really tried to hype it up, I found it disappointing and then after words, they tried to paint Peja as this little angel and how we should all thank the Basketball Gods that he is so professional an is gracing us with his presence...compared to other people who are Satan's spawn.:rolleyes:

All summer, I took the stance that we don't even think about trading Peja, but now I'm starting to change that. I think I read or heard someone talking about Peja's interview as being "positive." No, Doug's interview was positive, Brad's interview was positive, Webb and Rick's interview's were positive. Peja's interview, though not quite negative, had really no feeling at all. It was an interview from a player who doesn't want to be here and is making that known. From that interview and other bit and clips that I have seen from media day gives me the impression that Peja only sees this as job in two years will be over and he is simply going through the motions. Regardless of whether or not you believe there are other reason, we can only go off what he has said, and that is he asked to be traded because he believes this group has gone its course and its best for his career to be moved. He doesn't believe in this group any more. I know Doug, Chris, Brad, Mike, Bobby and everyone else believes in the group. I know that they will display that passion that tells you that they believe. But Peja? I don't think we will get that from him.

I can take a player not want to be here, but I don't want a player on this team who doesn't believe in the team itself. Prove me wrong Peja, please prove me wrong.

/rant off

Last edited:
ReinadelosReys said:
/rant on

And when he did mention Peja by name, it was to say good stuff about him. You know, I almost gagged listening to the radio yesterday after Peja's interview. As I mentioned in the other thread, Grant really tried to hype it up, I found it disappointing and then after words, they tried to paint Peja as this little angel and how we should all thank the Basketball Gods that he is so professional an is gracing us with his presence...compared to other people who are Satan's spawn.:rolleyes:

All summer, I took the stance that we don't even think about trading Peja, but now I'm starting to change that. I think I read or heard someone talking about Peja's interview as being "positive." No, Doug's interview was positive, Brad's interview was positive, Webb and Rick's interview's were positive. Peja's interview, though not quite negative, had really no feeling at all. It was an interview from a player who doesn't want to be here and is making that known. From that interview and other bit and clips that I have seen from media day gives me the impression that Peja only sees this as job in two years will be over and he is simply going through the motions. Regardless of whether or not you believe there are other reason, we can only go off what he has said, and that is he asked to be traded because he believes this group has gone its course and its best for his career to be moved. He doesn't believe in this group any more. I know Doug, Chris, Brad, Mike, Bobby and everyone else believes in the group. I know that they will display that passion that tells you that they believe. But Peja? I don't think we will get that from him.

I can take a player not want to be here, but I don't want a player on this team who doesn't believe in the team itself. Prove me wrong Peja, please prove me wrong.

/rant off
I know that the way Peja is speaking right now does not ooze with positive attitude. But, come to think of it, I think that after a public trade demand and saying that they need changes to win, its going to take a little bit of time for him to say that the Kings are going to be the future champions. It would make him look really stupid.
I think his interviews was quite postive considering a player who had just demanded a trade. I am pretty sure that he will give his best as the season progresses and as we have so close wins. Even if he starts off a little slow, he should be going full trottle by the time playoffs come.
And we do know that he needs to be at full trottle when the playoffs come ;)

piksi

Hall of Famer
VF21 said:

He's a professional athlete, as you yourself have stated repeatedly. As such, he should be able to put aside personal differences - especially when all big bad Webber did is say he wants everyone to put forth more effort. He NEVER called Peja out by name...and. to my knowledge, he never ambushed him on the playground and stole his lunch money.
I guess Your definition of "cool" is different than mine.

I do not think that it should or will influence Peja's preformance. If it does - there is bench and then ...
When it comes to a personal reltionsship between 2 of them - I doubt it.
Both of them did not mention names or did point at each other - yeah right!
We will not discuss Webber.

piksi

Hall of Famer
I do not know what was talked about this topic around Sacramento. I do not see how somebody can think that a professional who makes 7 mil $ whould behave so unprofessional & stupid. Well some might - but Peja never has and I hope never will.
I have followed Peja's interwievs all summer long. Not once did he say that he does not like Sacramento ot the people there. No matter what You think - he is very grateful for everything Sacramnto did for him. We all know where the problem is. Some of us choose to ignore it because it might be easier to do that.
I agree that there is a loyalty issue here but especially around here - the loyalty is where the money is and everything is for sale.

piksi said:
I do not see how somebody can think that a professional who makes 7 mil $ whould behave so unprofessional & stupid. Well some might - but Peja never has and I hope never will.
That is incredibly nieve. Have you looked around the sports world. 7M has nothing to do with behavior.
Bottom line- Peja was unpofressional and stupid to publically ask for a trade. (I do not care what biases you bring or don't bring to the table, you just can't blame those actions on anyone elese- including CWebb)

Heuge said:
That is incredibly nieve. Have you looked around the sports world. 7M has nothing to do with behavior.
Bottom line- Peja was unpofressional and stupid to publically ask for a trade. (I do not care what biases you bring or don't bring to the table, you just can't blame those actions on anyone elese- including CWebb)
Why is publicly demanding a trade so stupid? If he really wanted out of Sacramento, and management was trying to ignore his request (he did after all go to them first), why not put a little pressure on them? It worked for Shaq and McGrady...

Vlad said:
Why is publicly demanding a trade so stupid? If he really wanted out of Sacramento, and management was trying to ignore his request (he did after all go to them first), why not put a little pressure on them? It worked for Shaq and McGrady...
You don't find that the least bit unprofesional and childish? If you do not I have no grounds to speak to you on this subject.
As for Shaq and McGrady, if I were Peja I would not be looking to try to equal their maturity.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Vlad said:
Yes, Shaq and McGrady, the paragons of class. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I am fundamentally unconcerened about Peja's trade demands as long as he does not dog it on the court. If we have to move him next summer, so be it. He's a young All-Star, so he has mega-value. But he's not the superstar type of player that you just can't replace. Bottomline, if he wants to come around and we keep him, great. Its all set up here for him to be a career King if he shapes up. If not, I have no doubt that Geoff Petrie of all GMs can get a heck of a player (or players) back in return. Either way, the Kings will be fine.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
piksi said:
I do not know what was talked about this topic around Sacramento. I do not see how somebody can think that a professional who makes 7 mil $ whould behave so unprofessional & stupid. Well some might - but Peja never has and I hope never will.
I have followed Peja's interwievs all summer long. Not once did he say that he does not like Sacramento ot the people there. No matter what You think - he is very grateful for everything Sacramnto did for him. We all know where the problem is. Some of us choose to ignore it because it might be easier to do that.
I agree that there is a loyalty issue here but especially around here - the loyalty is where the money is and everything is for sale.
Whatever.

Peja whined when Hedo was traded, and he virtually threw a tizzy-fit when Vlade chose to go to the Lakers. Even Vlade remarked about Peja's trade demand, with a "Well, he can't come to LA with me." That was during a game broadcast...

When SOME OF US choose to put all the blame for poor little Peja's problems on someone other than Peja himself, they do a disservice to the entire Kings team.

Did you read all the reports of the interviews? It has been reported FREQUENTLY that the entire team, minus Peja, has been meeting for about two weeks now, starting to get back into the groove. Peja chose not to do so.

Why? Because he was terrified of the big mean bully Webber? Give me a break.

To Peja, this is obviously just a business ... and that's fine. But to me and a lot of other Kings fans, the KINGS are a lot more than just a team. They are a way of life and WE will choose to support those players who are actively interested in being the best they can be and want to play in Sacramento. If Peja wants to go elsewhere, I wish him well. And, as Bricklayer said, if and when Petrie decides to move him, it won't be because it's best for Peja's career. :rolleyes: It will be because it's best for the Sacramento Kings!

/rant

VF21 said:
Whatever.

Peja whined when Hedo was traded, and he virtually threw a tizzy-fit when Vlade chose to go to the Lakers. Even Vlade remarked about Peja's trade demand, with a "Well, he can't come to LA with me." That was during a game broadcast...

When SOME OF US choose to put all the blame for poor little Peja's problems on someone other than Peja himself, they do a disservice to the entire Kings team.

Did you read all the reports of the interviews? It has been reported FREQUENTLY that the entire team, minus Peja, has been meeting for about two weeks now, starting to get back into the groove. Peja chose not to do so.

To Peja, this is obviously just a business ... and that's fine. But to me and a lot of other Kings fans, the KINGS are a lot more than just a team. They are a way of life and WE will choose to support those players who are actively interested in being the best they can be and want to play in Sacramento. If Peja wants to go elsewhere, I wish him well. And, as Bricklayer said, if and when Petrie decides to move him, it won't be because it's best for Peja's career. :rolleyes: It will be because it's best for the Sacramento Kings!

/rant
Bravo. Here! Here! I completely agree with your post.
That was the best post I have read since the server went down.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Heuge said:
Asking for a trade is neither unprofessional nor stupid. There is no conection at all.

Maybe You should look up word "unprofessional"

piksi

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
Yes, Shaq and McGrady, the paragons of class. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I am fundamentally unconcerened about Peja's trade demands as long as he does not dog it on the court. If we have to move him next summer, so be it. He's a young All-Star, so he has mega-value. But he's not the superstar type of player that you just can't replace. Bottomline, if he wants to come around and we keep him, great. Its all set up here for him to be a career King if he shapes up. If not, I have no doubt that Geoff Petrie of all GMs can get a heck of a player (or players) back in return. Either way, the Kings will be fine.
that was exactly my point. Kings have control over the situation and therefore they are the ones that can/have to make move. Peja has no say at the moment.

Sigh....asking for a trade isn't what anyone thought was unprofessional. Not getting your way when you ask for one, then taking it to the media to try to pressure management into it, however, is. There was really no need for that.

piksi said:
Asking for a trade is neither unprofessional nor stupid. There is no conection at all.

Maybe You should look up word "unprofessional"
According to Webster. unproffessoinal- "violating the ethical code of a given proffession".
IMO By making his demands public he violated ethical codes of this sport. He did nothing by just demanding a trade.
Also, I would appreciate a much calmer tune in our discussion as I think it may be more enjoyable for both of us.

Last edited:

piksi

Hall of Famer
VF21 said:
Whatever.

/rant
Agree about most of it. However, as long as the "team meeting/practice" was unofficial - nobody is required to be there. No big deal here.
Additionally, it is "just buisiness" for all players and not just for Peja. Believing otherwise were at least very naive.
Funny thing about "moving players" is that they change values very quickly. It is very risky business but I guess then again there are always people like D. Ainige who makes everything possible.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Kingsgurl said:
Sigh....asking for a trade isn't what anyone thought was unprofessional. Not getting your way when you ask for one, then taking it to the media to try to pressure management into it, however, is. There was really no need for that.
agree - but that is not way it was presented here.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Heuge said:
According to Webster. unproffessoinal- "violating the ethical code of a given proffession".
IMO By making his demands public he violated ethical codes of this sport. He did nothing be just demanding a trade.
Also, I would appreciate a much calmer tune in our discussion as I think it may be more enjoyable for both of us.
First of all You are the one that makes the tune here. Not me.

Second - Is there a place/book/pamplet/anything where I can read "ethical codes of this sport" because so far it is just your opinion.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
No, it is not just business for all the players. That's where you really lose out by not being in this area.

Guys who show up every day at the practice facility before they're actually required to do so have a reason ... they do it because they love the game, they're anxious to get back to playing, etc.

For whatever reason, Peja didn't show up. That says to him it's a business. That, in and of itself, is fine.

The difference is, that for guys like Mike Bibby, Doug Christie, Webber, Bobby Jackson, Tag, etc. it's NOT just a business. It's in their blood.

piksi said:
Second - Is there a place/book/pamplet/anything where I can read "ethical codes of this sport" because so far it is just your opinion.
I think many share this sentiment with me, as I read this forum and talk to other fans of the sport.

VF21 said:
No, it is not just business for all the players. That's where you really lose out by not being in this area.
If there is one single player in all of the NBA for who we could say it's not all about business, we all know, that would be Vlade.
However, it turned out to be pure business for both him and Kings management. So much about love for the fans, for the teammates and the city.
$ rules America and there is nothing new here.