Sacbee: Kings Notes

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/10983946p-11901258c.html

[font=verdana,geneva,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Kings notes: Jackson's return to health makes Adelman eager

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Tuesday, October 5, 2004

Rick Adelman's mind has not changed about at least one thing.

The Kings coach wants to maximize his production from Bobby Jackson. And that's why Adelman is so pleased to see the 2002-03 Sixth Man of the Year at full speed after the guard missed most of the second half of last season because of an abdominal strain.

"What happened last year with Doug (Christie), I had to play him when Bobby went down behind Mike (Bibby), and I had to play him behind Peja (Stojakovic) some because Gerald (Wallace) was hurt," Adelman said. "And I think it wore him down some.

"I don't want to do that. I want to try and use some other people, but you have to get productivity. But that's why it's so good to see Bobby playing again. Watching him play out here, I see how much we missed. ... Not only we missed the way he plays, but how much he complains on every play. It's just good to see him playing with no fear."

Adelman's plans for establishing a second unit have been slowed by center Greg Ostertag's broken hand. However, he's looking forward to a group that might establish its productivity in ways different from the first unit.

"I think we can do things better if Greg sets more picks and he can get to the offensive boards for us," Adelman said. "But that's why I say, you get (Jackson) and Darius (Songaila) and Greg and find one or two other guys, that's a pretty good second group, I hope.

"We're pretty confident what our core guys will do, but it's going to be kind of exciting to see what the young guys are going to do. I think we can run the same things offensively for the guys off the bench but may get some different things out of it because of their skills. That's the biggest thing I think I have to accomplish, that they have confidence that they can be difference-makers.

"They aren't Mike Bibby or Chris Webber or Brad Miller, but they can do other things that can be very effective because they play so hard. I think they can be very energized as a team."

Et cetera - Stojakovic was not on the floor at the end of practice Monday afternoon because he bit his lip when he was inadvertently hit in the jaw during a scrimmage. The injury was not judged to be serious.

• Free-agent guard Courtney Alexander did not work out Monday after straining his left thigh Sunday.

• Adelman changed all of his practice sessions to single three-hour periods after being informed by the league that a deal with the players' union prevents more than one contact workout per day.

• Songaila said he cannot wait until the Nov. 2 regular-season opener against the Dallas Mavericks. Until then, officially, he remains a rookie, or "the rookie president," as Webber calls him. "I've got to take care of all the rookies," Songaila said.

About the Writer
---------------------------

The Bee's Martin McNeal can be reached at mmcneal@ sacbee.com.
[/font]