Sacbee: Adelman unsure of his counterpart

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/11624458p-12513958c.html

Adelman unsure of his counterpart
By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - Rick Adelman wasn't exactly feeling good as he sat in the coaches' room before Tuesday night's game.

The Kings' coach was a little nervous about the Memphis Grizzlies playing their third game under interim coach Lionel Hollins. Adelman didn't know if Mike Fratello was coming in to take the job, or if rumors that former Golden State coach Eric Musselman would enter the fray late were real and true.

"They are a wounded team," Adelman said of the Grizzlies, "and you know a wounded team can be dangerous."

Memphis wasn't dangerous enough to prevent the Kings from taking a 98-93 victory. Even after the game, it was still unknown if Fratello was taking the job or even offered it, or if the strange rumor was true Fratello would join the team in New York today and coach them for the first time in a back-to-back, first-time meeting.

But Adelman has his own issues. He has one more year after this one on his contract, but that one is at the ownership's behest.

"The only thing I know about the situation is what I've read in the papers," Adelman said. "And I've been worried about turning the team around."

Adelman said his contact with the Maloof ownership group this season hasn't been any greater or less than in the past.

"(Kings President of Basketball Operations) Geoff (Petrie) and I usually would meet with them two or three times a season," Adelman said. "And we're only (14) games into the season."

Memphis score held down - The Grizzlies, who entered the game averaging 94.6 points, totaled 93 against the Kings. It doesn't sound like much, but considering Sacramento had allowed more than 100 points in nine of its first 13 games, it was a step in the right direction for the Kings defensively.

Webber's big shot - Chris Webber, at the top of the key, had Grizzlies forward Pau Gasol on him and the Kings ahead 96-93 with just under 10 seconds left. Webber said he knew the long Spaniard had blocked his shot before, and he just wanted to clear space.

"That shot was tougher than it looked," Webber said before being informed how tough it looked. "I just kept trying to be patient and get underneath him so I could put it up there softly."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The "wounded team" factor is real. Our guys better not take New Orleans too lightly. Look what Indiana has done with their three best players unavailable due to suspensions. I'm actually concerned about tonight.