Sacbee: A Mover and a shaker again

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/10983945p-11901263c.html

[font=verdana,geneva,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]A mover and shaker again

Chris Webber says his agility has returned and his pain has vanished.

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Tuesday, October 5, 2004

It's not too late to get into a Fantasy Sports League. Sign up here.
From head to toe, Chris Webber says he feels good, really good.

After three training-camp practices, many of his Kings teammates and coach Rick Adelman say the power forward is moving noticeably better than he was when last season ended.

I think he's doing better, a lot better than last year," Adelman said Sunday. "For him, too, I think these eight practices are going to benefit him so he feels how his legs are. And I think he's got to continue to push himself, especially pursuing the ball on the boards.

"His lateral movement is a lot better than last year. (He's) putting (the ball) on the floor better. He's getting some confidence where he pursues the ball better."

Webber said he's pain-free after experiencing much discomfort last season, when he missed the first 58 games - 50 as he rehabilitated his surgically repaired left knee and eight due to an NBA suspension. He averaged 18.7 points on a career-low 41.3 percent shooting in 23 games last season.

"I played last (season) in excruciating pain," Webber said Monday afternoon after a post-practice shooting session with personal coach Buzz Braman. "It really hurt to get into a defensive stance and to try to rebound. Making moves, anything was painful. Now, it's all good. There is no pain whatsoever."

Now that he no longer is hurting, Webber, 31, said he has more to show in camp. When point guard Mike Bibby said he had yet to see any explosive jumping ability from Webber other than during warmups, Webber said it was there.

"I'm saving it," he said. "I try some things just to know I can do them. But now, I can actually roll on a pick and roll. I can dribble and lay the ball in. I couldn't even lay the ball in last (season). My quickness is there now, though."

That was evident a few days ago, when Webber took a pass from Bibby at the high post. Darius Songaila was the defender, and on the previous possession, he had sneaked around a weak seal from Webber and stolen a poor Bibby pass.

This time, though, Webber, with his back to the basket, held off Songaila, took the pass from Bibby and spun to his right. A big step later, he reached back and backhanded an eye-opening, right-handed power dunk.

It was the kind of move Webber rarely attempted and completed maybe only once last season. As Webber said, he had problems establishing enough lower-body stability to make layups. But his showing in camp has fortified his confidence and made a big impression.

"Webb looks good," Bibby said. "He's moving a lot better. His shot is falling. I think everything is in place."

Guard Bobby Jackson, who like Webber has faced many health-related questions, said he is impressed by what he has seen.

"He looks good, real good, shooting, running the floor and moving a little bit better," Jackson said.

Jackson also came to Webber's defense.

"Once you get so much negative stuff and hear people talk about you so bad, you have to get tired of hearing that negative crap. And if he didn't make as much money as he does, people wouldn't be talking about him like that. He's a good guy, always plays hard and plays his heart out.

"He's got to be fed up listening to the criticism from people who don't really know him or what they're talking about. Me? I'd be fed up, and if I was him, I wouldn't talk to any (media) around here. Because regardless of what he says or what he does, somebody is going to have something negative to say or talk bad about him."

Over the summer, Webber vowed to show more leadership, and Songaila has noticed.

"He's taking a lot more responsibility as a leader," Songaila said. "He's a lot more verbal, and it's clear to see he is pushing himself to do whatever he can."

Upon his return last March 2, when the Kings were 43-15, Webber said he intentionally took a step back.

"I knew how well we were playing when I came back," he said. "A leader also knows when to shut the hell up, and it's also said a good leader also can follow. There were games when I went off on the team, but most of the time, I was quiet purposely."

The return of Webber's agility isn't the only thing that stands out, center Brad Miller said.

"He's playing with that confidence again," said Miller, who also is displaying an improved comfort level and more quickness. "It's not even about anything physical. He's not thinking. He's just out there doing things."

Miller said he hadn't seen the Webber of old before joining the Kings last season.

"I didn't watch Sac before I got here because I didn't know anybody who played here," Miller said. "I just knew he was putting up numbers and killing people."

With averages of 22 points, 10.2 rebounds and 4.4 assists over 11 seasons, Webber looks ready to resume finishing off Kings opponents.

About the Writer
---------------------------

The Bee's Martin McNeal can be reached at mmcneal@ sacbee.com.
[/font]

Last edited:
it was nice reading that.. :)

i hope webb's back to his old form, or even somewhere close to it! i can't wait to see them play again!! :D

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The BJax comments are significant and encouraging. Webber coming back healthy would be an enormous boost, but if this whole thing is to come together, if Webb is actually going to try to lead the team to the promised land, the other guys have to come together behind him.

#1sacfan

Bricklayer said:
The BJax comments are significant and encouraging. Webber coming back healthy would be an enormous boost, but if this whole thing is to come together, if Webb is actually going to try to lead the team to the promised land, the other guys have to come together behind him.
He can be a vocal leader but not the leader in terms of being the best player on the team. That would go to Pedja, Mike and Brad.

#1sacfan said:
He can be a vocal leader but not the leader in terms of being the best player on the team. That would go to Pedja, Mike and Brad.
wasnt vlade the vocal leader? and many though of him as the leader

#1sacfan said:
Difference of opinion, but that's not the point, I think we can all agree that good/strong/positive leadership (wherever it comes from) is what this team needs.

Injuries aside, does anyone else have this "giddy" feeling? The Kings are back, the season is right around the corner, every game is going to be on TV......:D

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
#1sacfan said:
If he's actually healthy, none of those guys can approach him as best player on the team either. Its possible at this point Peja may have become "best offensive weapon". At least during the regular season.

In any case, rah rah ain't going to cut it. And while Webb can do more things on the court than any other player on the team if he's in good shape, even that may not cut it. What we need from him is inspirational, impose your will on the other team sort of play. There's nobody else on the team with the skills to bring that every night. Webb has those skills. The question has been thus far in his career does he have the mentality (and health). Excellent sign that a) he looks like he wants to find out; and b) at least some of his teammates look like they're ready to help out.

oh yeah giddy is what i'm starting to feel w/ the season less than a month away!

& i'm so far away from all that action & i wouldn't even get to watch every Kings game @ all!

Giddy up, Giddy up a dingdong! ;)

#1sacfan

Bricklayer said:
If he's actually healthy, none of those guys can approach him as best player on the team either. Its possible at this point Peja may have become "best offensive weapon". At least during the regular season.

In any case, rah rah ain't going to cut it. And while Webb can do more things on the court than any other player on the team if he's in good shape, even that may not cut it. What we need from him is inspirational, impose your will on the other team sort of play. There's nobody else on the team with the skills to bring that every night. Webb has those skills. The question has been thus far in his career does he have the mentality (and health). Excellent sign that a) he looks like he wants to find out; and b) at least some of his teammates look like they're ready to help out.
I was going to argue this and then realized why should I. You think Webber is better, I think Pedja is better, but who gives a flying ****. Lets just have them both do great in a harmonious atmosphere and hope they each do the little things it takes to win. Lets try to get a championship.

Ryan

I like turtles
"pain has vanished"

Huh, Webber back to his old self? If this is true, anything short of a 74 win season is a disappointment . . . ;)

Ryan@CU said:
"pain has vanished"

Huh, Webber back to his old self? If this is true, anything short of a 74 win season is a disappointment . . . ;)
I recall Webber saying things like, "I haven't been able to jump of both legs before. I feel better then I have in years.", right before he came back from the injury. For me, its a I'll see it when I believe when it comes to Webb.....I really want to see it, though.

Heuge said:
I recall Webber saying things like, "I haven't been able to jump of both legs before. I feel better then I have in years.", right before he came back from the injury. For me, its a I'll see it when I believe when it comes to Webb.....I really want to see it, though.
I'm inclined to take this view as well. Some of the quotes from Adelman make me cautious as well (reading it from a pessimist's perspective).

A

AriesMar27

is it just me or does anyone else have the sudden urge to start a "Beat L.A." thread....

a healthy squad... feels good, christie doesnt count lol. but it does feel so good.

Mad D said:
how bout the blue ones at home and the black ones for the road ;-P
Black and blue, eh? So should we change the team name to The Punishers?

Kinda catchy, and fits the direction Webb wants to take the team. And frankly, I wouldn't mind it at all if the name ends up reflecting the outcome.

speaking of road unis, why don't they try reversing the color areas of their unis? the purple part be the black & the black be the purple one. i tried it on my nba live & to me it doesn't look bad @ all. or perhaps they can wear it as sunday road unis.

AriesMar27 said:
is it just me or does anyone else have the sudden urge to start a "Beat L.A." thread....

a healthy squad... feels good, christie doesnt count lol. but it does feel so good.
looking at the current laker squad, they'd BETTER beat LA...

Didn't Webber say there wasn't much pain in his knee last season? I don't remember a single instance anytime last year where Webber said he was in unbearable pain.

Unbearable pain>>>>>>>>>post surgery pain>>>>>>>>>pain free

Pretty large gamut of degrees there. I remember reports of there being little to no swelling, which is a huge difference from there being no pain. I don't think anyone expected him to be pain free last year, not if they read some of the things other players who have had that surgery said.
Saying things like 'the knee feels fine' seems to be a pretty relative statement. Fine as opposed to what?