S£im's favorite topic: Power rankings!

Gotta love ESPN and their power rankings: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-lebron-james-kawhi-leonard-change-everything

I get that the Kings aren't close to a top tier team as of today. But I just find it humorous that teams that finished equal or worse than them last season i.e. Dallas, Orlando, Chicago, Phoenix, and Memphis have somehow vaulted while teams that lost a ton such as Cleveland and the LA Clippers haven't fallen much.

I get the thinking behind Memphis, who were w/o Mike Conley and Gasol for much of the season. But how exactly has Dallas improved to 19th? I get that Phoenix landed the #1 pick and selected what many expect to be a good player -- but they are just as unproven as the Kings young players. They've been worse than the Kings the past couple seasons but are somehow perceived to be better all of a sudden? Whatever. I guess ESPN doesn't realize that the Kings have added young talent too.

ESPN has devolved into such a poor publication IMO.

Gotta love ESPN and their power rankings: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-lebron-james-kawhi-leonard-change-everything

I get that the Kings aren't close to a top tier team as of today. But I just find it humorous that teams that finished equal or worse than them last season i.e. Dallas, Orlando, Chicago, Phoenix, and Memphis have somehow vaulted while teams that lost a ton such as Cleveland and the LA Clippers haven't fallen much.

I get the thinking behind Memphis, who were w/o Mike Conley and Gasol for much of the season. But how exactly has Dallas improved to 19th? I get that Phoenix landed the #1 pick and selected what many expect to be a good player -- but they are just as unproven as the Kings young players. They've been worse than the Kings the past couple seasons but are somehow perceived to be better all of a sudden? Whatever. I guess ESPN doesn't realize that the Kings have added young talent too.

ESPN has devolved into such a poor publication IMO.
Besides Ayton, Phoenix acquired also Mikal Bridges and Ariza. Clippers still have many good players. I don't know about Clivlend.
[Edited] Forgot about DeAndre Jordan to Dallas, him and Luka Doncic will make them better then previous season.

Last edited:
ESPN is always going to be reactionist. But I still like reading the power rankings. Meh.

Read their write up about Utah that praises internal improvement and continuity. And Phoenix re excitement for a rookie big man. There are reasons ESPN could choose to like the Kings. They just choose not to.
Better that way imo. We don't need no handout. Anything we get, we earned. That's just how I like it.

So I make a few comments about a power ranking article in another thread and it gets moved out to a new thread with a mocking title? As if the topic is unbecoming of the website or something??

Good. Great. Wonderful. Grand.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So I make a few comments about a power ranking article in another thread and it gets moved out to a new thread with a mocking title? As if the topic is unbecoming of the website or something??

Good. Great. Wonderful. Grand.
Not meant to be mocking in any way. It was, if anything, a gentle poke at S£im and ESPN. Sorry if it ruffled your feathers.