Ruthie to coach

http://sacramento.bizjournals.com/sacramento/stories/2004/09/13/daily8.html?t=printable

LATEST NEWS

2:53 PM PDT Monday

Monarchs star to lead Jessup hoops team

William Jessup University, which opened its new campus in Rocklin last month, has hired Sacramento Monarchs star Ruthie Bolton as head coach of its women's basketball team, the school announced Monday.

Word of the appointment was released around midday, with the formal announcement to be made at 3 p.m. at the new campus of the former San Jose Christian College. The school relocated to the former Herman Miller Inc. building in Rocklin and changed its name after running out of room to grow in Silicon Valley.

A Mississippi native, Bolton, 37, graduated from Auburn University in 1989 after playing in two consecutive NCAA title games with the Auburn Tigers.

After years of international play and winning a gold medal with the U.S. team in the 1996 Olympic Games, Bolton joined the Monarchs in the initial WNBA player allocation in 1997, and the two-time all-star has been with the team ever since. She won a second Olympic gold medal in 2000, and has scored more than 2,000 career points with the professional league.

"I am truly excited about the opportunity to bring an individual of Ruthie's caliber to the already high-quality program we have here at WJU," said university athletic director Farnum Smith in a prepared statement. "We have in Ruthie a fantastic leader, a person of high moral character and faith, and an obvious talent for the game. She will be an incredible influence on our student athletes and the student body in general."

A spokesperson for Maloof Sports & Entertainment, which owns the Monarchs and the Sacramento Kings, could not be reached for comment.

Jessup's team, the Warriors, finished fifth last year in the United States Collegiate Athletics Association. The school is a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics and the California Pacific Conference. The team will play home games at the NEC Sports Complex in Roseville.

:) Congats Ruthie!! Thats great. I think she will be a great addition to their coaching staff. This better not make her want to leave the WNBA:rolleyes: lol jk.:cool:

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Ruthie, you go girl!!!!!!

DWalk, I would bet that this is Ruthie's last year. She only signed a 1 yr contract, if I'm not mistaken. And, she didn't get a really good contract at that. But, you never know.